“Top Knotch”
Review of Kismul House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Morar
Kismul House
Ranked #4 of 10 Morar B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Top Knotch”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Walked in from Tarbet after a few days hiking in Knoydart & was met with a warm welcome & an offer of tea & cake. Room had a wonderful view over the loch & was immaculate. I did not want a full Scottish breakfast & settled on scrambled egg, smoked salmon & grilled vine tomatoes with a starter of muesli, fresh fruit & yoghourt. To cap it all I was offered a lift to Morar station which I declined. To sum up, it would be hard to find a comparable B & B and almost impossible to come across a better one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Tynedale T

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 June 2014

If you are driving from Fort William to Mallaig, then I have to insist that you spend atleast one night if not two or three at Kismul House. If you have ever wanted to live in pristine beauty in the middle of nowhere, this is your destination. 10 minutes before Mallaig lies Morar better known for Loch Morar which is the deepest lake in Scotland. This lovely B&B run by Catherine and Michael is just off the main highway and is located in stunning surroundings. A lovely cottage bank opposite the lake, a lovely deck with a swing and some very good walking trails around. We were warmly welcomed into the home of this lovely couple and the breakfast was top notch. I only wish we had spend longer at this place and just walked the hills and the lake. Just down the road you have the access to the lake and you can just at the pier and do nothing...Don't waste your time staying in Mallaig coz its crap and is a boring town. Just use Mallaig for the ferry..Live in Kismul. Btw you may have to drive 10 minutes to Mallaig for your dinner but coming back to spend the night at Loch Morar would be worth it

Room Tip: The room on the ground level has an ensuite toilet. Its the purple room and can sleep 3
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ashparti
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at Kismul recently, Catherine and Michael were very welcoming and the accomodation could not be faulted. The breakfast was really great, and the location is fantastic for Morar or the hill lochs if you're a fisherman, and for walks to Stoul, Tarbet to catch the ferry to Inverie, or just generally mooching about on North Morar. Handy for Mallaig also, maybe ten minutes away by car. A beautiful spot, we'll definitely be going back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PW_McL
Birmingham
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was my second visit to Kismul and it was lovely to se Catherine and Michael again. I was greeted by Michael after my long journey with a very welcome cup of tea and scrummy piece of cake. Their hospitality is very warm and nothing is too much bother. I stayed in the upstairs room with separate bathroom. I had sole use of the spacious bathroom. I was very grateful of the bath after one particularly long hike. The bedroom was very spacious and calming with fabulous views over Loch Morar. There is a comfy chair to just sit and relax watching the view but also a TV if you find time to watch it. There is tea and coffee making facilities and a hairdryer. The bed has a memory foam topper and I slept like a baby. Plenty of space to put all your stuff too. Towels were changed every other day. Some B&Bs are very rigid on breakfast times but here they are really flexible and my late 9am breakfast time was no problem for them at all. I can highly recommend the pancake cooked breakfast. Amazing! Mind you all the food provided for breakfast was delicious. Both Catherine and Michael are both great cooks and hosts and even invited me to eat with them on one evening. The location is very peaceful and there is plenty of room outside to sit and admire the view but also plenty of local walks which I tried out. Its a shame most people only stay a couple of nights passing through as there is so much to see and do in the area even a loch beach, where they filmed Rob Roy, a very short walk away. There is pretty poor mobile phone signal but a card phone box 5 minutes up the hill. There is free BT Wi-Fi which was fantastic so if you want to communicate with the outside world simply use a phone app like WhatsApp or Skype to contact home.
I cannot fault anything, I had a very comfortable stay and Catherine and Michael are terrific hosts. I was made to feel very welcome and hope to return one day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SirenLady
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My Mum and I recently stayed at Kismul B&B on a short trip to the West Coast.

Katherine was there when we arrived and greeted us with a pot of tea and some of her delicious home baking! Perfect after a drive up from Edinburgh...

We stayed in the downstairs room - a double and single room with en suite shower and toilet. Both beds were very comfortable and the bedding very warm. The room was very well presented and we were provided with our own kettle and complimentary coffee, milk etc. The heating system in the room was very impressive and included the option to have the heated flooring on in the bathroom!

Breakfast was consistently excellent on all 3 mornings we were there. I opted for the lovely pancake stack each morning; Mum had that on 2 mornings and had scrambled eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes on another. Katherine was nothing but flexible with our requests. Breakfast was when suited us and was served in her lovely dining room. Fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereals and toast were on offer before the "main event".

Location wise, the views onto Loch Morar from the B&B are stunning. The house is along a winding road with a steep brae half a mile before you get to the property and it's worth the drive! The weather was very changeable when we were there but it only added to the excitement of Scottish scenery. We were there doing the walk from Bracara to Tarbet to then get the ferry to Mallaig, train to Morar and then walk to Bracara, something I'd love to do again when the weather was perhaps slightly more favourable! Katherine very kindly gave me some of her homemade brownies when we returned - she could see I required some chocolate nourishment!

My Mum and I cannot fault Katherine's hostess abilities and I recommend her B&B wholeheartedly. We would both love to give her 10 out of 5!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Following our wonderful stay last August we decided it was a must to return. Our second visit was certainly not a disappointment, I think Kismul has got even better!! Catherine's hospitality was just perfect, again we arrived to a beautiful homemade cake and a lovely cup of tea, what a great way to start our break. In the morning we had the amazing pancake tower and a beautiful freshly made smoothie. We stayed in the upstairs room and the views of the loch are breath taking. Catherine and Michael are so welcoming and recommended lots to do locally. We can't thank you enough and look forward to seeing you again in the summer (our next trip is booked already!)

Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Thank you Catherine and Michael for a wonderful stay. My wife and I spent two nights at Kismul House with Catherine and Michael. It was an absolutely wonderful stay and both Catherine and Michael really made us feel at home. They went out of their way to help us plan our time in Morar. The welcoming tea and cake really hit the spot after a long drive up from Glasgow. The morning breakfast was delightful (including the fruit pudding!). Thank you Catherine for the book and arranging the boat trip. I do hope to come this way again with the whole family in the future someday again.

Room Tip: I ticked excellent for the swimming pool and fitness centre and cant seem to correct it. They actua...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morar
West Highland Hotel
GlenanCross GuestHouse
The Lochailort Inn
The Lochailort Inn
#1 of 1 in Lochailort

Been to Kismul House? Share your experiences!