The Old Ship Inn
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014

A very mediocre place considering the prices. There are so much better value places around.
Very average fish and chips and the pie I wanted was not available. My alternative dish was not great, in fact I left most of the chewy meat.
The girl behind the bar was pleasant, and the glass of wine nice too!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Old Ship is a cosy old pub that caters for locals and holidaymakers alike, good old fashioned bar with great food served in the bar area and also in a small room that has about 5 tables - this small room has a great atmosphere with candles and an authentic range which I presume is lit during the winter months. We had crab salad, prawns, pie, and bangers and mash,4 mains and 4 starters for just over £80 with modest drinks. The portions are very filling which is just what you need after a walk in Snowdonia. We will be back. I would advise you booked during busy times.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were staying a few miles away at Tal-y-Bont, spending a few days exploring the Conwy valley. We were recommended the Old Ship by the owner of the cottage where we stayed, and after a day's travelling decided to try it out on our first night. I think we were in the area for 6 nights, and ate at this pub/restaurant on four of the evenings - we just couldn't think that we'd find anywhere better, so kept going back to avoid disappointment. The food is freshly made and delicious, with plenty of perfectly cooked vegetables. Like another reviewer here I ordered the half shoulder of lamb one night and what arrived was what I would call a Sunday joint for four people! I gave it my best shot though! The bar is well stocked, with draught ales and one of the best selections of Scottish single malt whiskies I've seen outside Scotland. The staff are friendly and helpful.
As we were a few miles away, I had to drive, but we made the effort to get there without the car on one evening. If there's one warning, it's this - getting a taxi home is virtually impossible in this area. We had to stay at the pub until the last bus at 10.14. Somehow we managed to pass the time at the pub..... and the friendly bus driver dropped us at the door of our accommodation.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I don't often give 5 stars in my reviews but this country pub deserves them for the pleasantness and quality of the service and the excellence of the food served. The team here are small in number and have to work very hard when the place gets busy and they do so with a natural courtesy and charm.
The food is superb, in terms of choice, quality, price and portion size. We went there for two days in one four-day visit and wish we'd gone there every evening. The consistency across the range of menu choices is remarkable. I echo too comments by others about the half shoulder of lamb (a proper plate of food if ever there was one) while my companions enjoyed the crab salad, the pork belly and I the pepperpot beef. Burgers too are home-made and very tasty.
All in all this is one of the best pub food experiences I have ever had. And the beer's great too!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stopped at The Old Ship on the off-chance and found ourselves a fine old fashioned country pub serving real ale and a fine selection of wines. We decided to have lunch in the large beer garden on what was a lovely sunny day. Lisa enjoyed a Tuna Mayo Baguette which was served with a good sized side salad and I enjoyed a home-made Sausage Sandwich with caramelized onion. This was a very good, value for money, lunch served promptly by pleasant and professional staff. We'll definitely call again!