“Mediocre food and disinterested staff.”
Review of Marine Hotel

Marine Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Old Colwyn
Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Old Colwyn
Rhos-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Mediocre food and disinterested staff.”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I paid a visit to the Marine in January and wished I hadn't. The food was average at best and the staff seemed to be solely concentrating on counting down the minutes until their shift ended. There were quite a few young people there who seemed to be friends of the staff and ruined the atmosphere with their endless swearing which was tolerated by the management.

I was quite surprised to see the number of "excellent" reviews on here until I looked closer and realised that they are ALL posted by people who have only ever left one review on Tripadvisor. And even the "very good" review section is dominated by one off contributors. I'm sure we can all draw our own conclusions from this rather unusual pattern.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Colinjones50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We decided to give this place another try and came for another Sunday lunch and found it to have got much worse, same unfriendly / unhelpful young staff but the food as got much worse - had the beef dinners and found very little flavour in the meat or the over cooked watery veg and very undercooked Yorkshire puds this time around which were just stodgy and soggy.

service was very poor ordered drinks after it took a good ten minutes of waiting to be asked by the staff then took them another good 5 mins to bring them and wished they had not bothered.
Was asked only at the very end if everything ok and did tell the young waitress that we did not enjoy it and she said she would tell chef.

Would not revisit or be recommending under current management as almost £30.00 for two very poor quality Sunday dinners with a couple of drinks is simply too costly a risk .

Room Tip: avoid the dinning room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank RAMSEY71

Travellers are raving about these Old Colwyn hotels

Old Colwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Well, after reading the previous comments about the appauling service at The Marine, I had put my views across and say that the roast beef dinner is one of the best I've ever had! Being a cook myself I think I know bad food when I taste it and week after week, all I can do is praise Wendy for her dinners. I found the yorkshire pudding very edible and if it wasn't, i certainly wouldn't have eaten it and still complained!? I will keep going back to the marine for dinners but if anyone has been put off my previous comments, I have been going there for years and will continue to do so, until i DO get a bad dinner, which I cant imagine will ever happen as long as Wendy is running it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
conwy
Reviewed 30 December 2012

visited for the sunday roast beef dinner,asked for a table and was told "dont know if we have one...o over there"she indicated with a wave of the hand as she walked away.
ordered 2 roast beef dinners and then waited till just before lunch arrived to be asked if we wanted any drinks.
the food was of very poor quality tastless and badly presented with gravy spilling from the plate, side dish of cauliflower cheese was lacking in cauliflower with 3 florets for 2 people and an abundance of packet tastless cheese sauce.
yorkshire pudding was burnt and hard on the outside and a stodgy uncooked mess on the inside,no one bothered to ask if the food was o.k and we told the young girl when she came to clear the plates about the yorkshire pudding,she informed us she would infor the "chef" and returned to say "chef says sorry that we didnt enjoy our meals".
we went to the bar to pay and waited 15mins while the young lad was serving drinking customers,we told him we wasnt happy with the uncooked yorkshire puddings so he went to get the cook.the cook barged towards us with what i can only describe as one of the worst bad attitudes i have encountered.she shouted at us"whats the problem? have you ever cooked yorkshire pudding? sometimes the mixture comes out like that,i will knock a pound of your meals".
after ranting at us for more time about how no one else has complained(to which i though well they just wont come back as im sure they would be rather fearful to complain to such a harridan whilst she fiddled with the bill to deduct the pound,she then shouted at nearby eating customers if everyone was enjoying their meal,we didnt hear a reply from the obviously terrified diners.
needless to say we will not return or recomend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank sue m
Shifnall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My mum and partner have spent a excellent week here,the food was home cooked and very good...and lots of it,the room was clean and very comfortable with its own en-suite.Very friendly atmostsphere and welcoming....will definately book again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 116rose
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Had an amazing time staying here, Wendy an her staff were amazing. Felt very well accommodated. The only place to stay in old colwyn.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Very clean; helpful and friendly staff. The room was nice and spacious with a really comfy bed and a good shower.
We only stayed for one night but really enjoyed the stay- breakfast was amazing!
We will be coming back here again.

Stayed May 2011
Bryn Holcombe
Bryn Holcombe
#2 of 3 in Colwyn Bay
Premier Inn Llandudno (Glan-Conwy) Hotel
Premier Inn Llandudno (Glan-Conw...
#1 of 1 in Llandudno Junction
#2 of 60 in Llandudno
Bay Marine Hotel
Bay Marine Hotel
#38 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!