“Excellent, traditional pub”

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Excellent, traditional pub”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

What a great pub this is! It's a free-house and there's a huge and varied choice of ales on hand pump which are really well-kept. The staff are really friendly. The pub is traditional in decor (spotless) and really cosy with an open fire. Always a nice atmosphere. An excellent local!

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Tricia F

Old Colwyn, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Friendly staff - but the landlord and his wife are very rude people.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

After 3 pints I was refused a drink by the landlords wife because I was told I had "had enough" I was apparently using bad language in the "lounge" (A staff member told me you can swear in the "bar" which is 6 foot from where I was sitting) I would fully understand if I was being abusive or loud but I was sat having a quite drink with a friend and at the time there was only my friend and myself in the lounge.(Maybe the landlord should ask himself why the lounge was empty ?) My friend was astounded by what was said and I did try to speak to the landlord but he wasn't interested in what I had to say, his wife also told me " there are plenty of other pubs you can drink in " One pub that I will never recommend or visit again.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Drinker2013
GeoffRedLion, Owner at The Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
I am saddened that this customer saw fit to write their unfair review of the Red Lion. The customer was asked to leave due to their continued use of obtrusive bad language in our Lounge Bar. On three occasions, the customer was asked politely to refrain but they ignored our requests and continued, in particular, to repeatedly use of the f*** word. Although the Lounge was quiet at the time, another customer left because he was offended by the language being proffered by this customer. Although this customer does not consider that he was being abusive, or loud, that was in fact the case, hence our request that he leave. I did speak to the customer on two occasions and explained our policy of not allowing bad language in our Lounge Bar, the assertion that I wasn’t interested in what he had to say is nonsense. At all times, the customer was treated and spoken to politely and in a discreet and professional manner.
Llandudno, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Been here a few times. Debbie and Geoff lovely hosts. Always friendly. Staff are lovely, always a warm welcome. A lovely, clean old fashioned pub.Excellent. You can even take your ( well behaved) dog in here.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank tockington
Colwyn bay
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Best pub in the world.......perhaps”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Possibly the closest to George Orwells mythical ''Moon under Water' you can get. Fabulous selection of exemplary kept real ales, immaculate interior, separate bar & lounge, Victorian smoking area, Sky TV ....the list goes on. Great atmosphere, especially later in the evening but a great place to sit and read the paper too. The 'thirsty Thursday ' beer club offers up to 8 real ales & ciders at £2:30. Wednesday night quiz is also very popular as are the big sporting events such as 6 nations rugby. This is how a pub should be run - a real gem.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank ceriandcath
Wales
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A home from home.”
Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

This is how pubs should be!
Friendly service, good beer, great atmosphere.
Nice open fire with an old fashioned pub style interior. But this makes it so homely and I hope they never change their décor!
Drinks are very reasonably priced and there is lots of choice in regards to ale and whisky!
Best pub in the bay!