“Lovely little tea shop just off A5”

The Riverside Chocolate House & Tea-room
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Pentre Foelas
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Called in there a couple of times in the last week and were wowed by the place. If you like chocolate then this place is a must. The owner, his family and staff are great, friendly without being familiar. They specialise in chocolate but do a range of other snacks and meals. There is also a small shop with what can only be described as way above the normal souvenir shop tat. We bought a fabulous sculpture of a pair of Hares. Do look out for this place on your travels, you won't regret it.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

When this first opened, they made chocolates on the premises. You could watch then molding the chocolate. If you ordered a hot chocolate they would ladle melted chocolate into hot milk. The smell was intoxicating. But today its a coffee shop that sells chocolates, so sad....

2  Thank Glyn_Carter
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Popped in after a break in Wales, and remembering this place from last years drive past, and so thought this time i wont drive past I`ll actually call in for a coffee and a cake. Anyway we walked in to find a pleasant young lady.. and some yummy looking chocolates. I asked the price of a bar of chocolate and I got a rather grumpy, unfriendly reply from a man sat behind me reading a paper. So I assumed he was the owner. Anyway, I didn't let his demeanor put me off... I purchased a black coffee... (quite nice) a bar of chocolate and a box of reduced coffee flavoured Turkish delight. We went and sat outside which was rather delightful... over the little bridge and sat by the river while my 6 year old daughter played in the field. My daughter however, needed the loo, so I popped back inside, and asked if we had to use the toilets across the road or if the establishment had any? I was told again rather gruffly... "across the road".... so I asked politely if I could leave my coffee on a table...? didnt hear any reply, so left it anyway.. and went over the road. Came back, sat inside this time and finished my coffee... No conversation from either him or the girl who initially served me. I sat there and thought to myself... If I ran this place I`d be making conversation.. inquiring if passing through, or been on holiday etc etc...But none of that.. just silence. Disappointing.. as if the owner made an effort the place could be a little goldmine. The cakes looked divine I must say.. and the menu prices were pretty standard..My top tip for him would be to take lessons in how to be welcoming, friendly... and how to smile! He gave me direct eye contact, without a single word or smile.. very disconcerting & off putting for most. Not me though.. water off a ducks back! BUT I wont be calling back. Unless he reads this and takes my points on board and tells me i`m welcome back anytime I`m passing though... As always love my little cafes and watering holes when i`m out and about! Don`t we all? Thank goodness for Trip Advisor I say..:D

5  Thank AlfretonLoulou46
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We visited here on the last day of a short break in Wales having driven past the sign a few times, and it was definitely a good idea! The cafe was something very different, and the hot chocolate was great - almost like the really thick hot chocolate you get in Spain.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We always call in for a coffee when passing, it's really good. The hot chocolate and cakes are also worth trying too.

1  Thank Paula W

Been to The Riverside Chocolate House & Tea-room? Share your experiences!