Lord Nelson
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Cleddau Bridge Hotel(Pembroke Dock)
Hotel Mariners(Haverfordwest)
The County Hotel(Haverfordwest)
The Druidstone(Haverfordwest)
View Hotel
All reviewshuge bedfood ordernice roombreakfast was includedgood sizeevening mealdressing tableone night staylovely mealthe pubtop floornothing too much troubleskomer islanda lovely staybreakfast roomlittle gemfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 July 2014

As my usual hotel was fully booked , I stayed for one night at the Nelson.The room was large, clean with a comfortable bed. the hotel was refurbed recently by s.a. brains and it showed
There was no noise from the bar below and I had a good nights sleep. I am unable to review the food as I ate elsewhere

Room Tip: sea view if possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rhyshywel
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Went to a wedding in The Lord Nelson, it was great, the staff especially Tom, who bent over backwards to make our stay really good, nothing was too much trouble for him, in fact all of the staff were great even though they where doing double shifts due to holidays.
The beds could have done with mattress protectors on them and it could have done with new pillows, if I had read the reviews before hand I would have taken my own, the rooms had been redone recently, but it looked like they have been having problems with leaks on the floor above affecting the rooms on the first floor but it did not affect our stay, old place like this always have problems.
The Wedding Package that my Brother had booked was great value for money.
Once again thank you for a wonderfull stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Staff are rude
Meal was poor
Service was non existent
I ordered pudding it was 35 min and we went to see we're it was we could not find any staff
for 15 mins
Do not eat there the food is terrible
Staff do not help when you can find any that is
We were having birthday dinner
We we're told not to go there the service was bad the manager is very young and inexperienced
DO NOT GO THERE TO EAT

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Marco10787440
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A friend and I stayed at this place whilst visiting Skomer Island in Wales.... rooms are large and spotlessly clean...staff cannot do enough to help..... we asked for a take away breakfast for an early start and were given enough food to last all day!
I would definitely recommend this place for it's friendliness and cleanliness...we had a lovely stay and no complaints whatsoever.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed over the Easter weekend while visiting relatives who live in the town. The hotel is on the promenade overlooking the harbour and is in a great location for the marina and town centre but is on a busy main road so can be a bit dangerous to cross in the mornings and evenings. Parking out the front or in a carpark out the back but judging by the amount of drunken chavs and boy racers it's probably safer to leave your car round the back.

Our room had been kept fairly clean and the staff were friendly but there were so, so many things wrong with this hotel which is a real shame and I get the feeling it won't change until more tourists come to the area or the place gets a big cash injection.

The hallways are dark and tatty with stained carpets and holes in the ceiling that look like an Alien has bled acid through it! There was a damp patch on the ceiling in our room that looked like the radiator in the room above had leaked, it really needed to be ripped out and re-plastered. Single glazed sash windows mean they are wasting a fortune in central heating every day (the hallway was roasting where they'd got the rads on). Our double bed was two singles pushed together, with no mattress protector just a thin fitted sheet over the mattress, and a double duvet which wasn't anywhere near wide enough to cover two singles. Mattresses were comfortable though. The pillows were as flat as pancakes which suits me but not most people.

There was an 18th birthday party going on in the function room the first night we were there which we weren't told about otherwise we would've asked for a room at the opposite end of the hotel. We got in quite late ourselves at around midnight and had to explain to the bouncers on the front door that we were actually guests at the hotel! Music went on for another hour or so and we were right above the carpark and smoking area so had people chatting and shouting until the early hours. We'd also parked the car in the carpark (which had a sign saying "cars parked at owners risk") so I wasn't keen on drunk people hanging around it. At 7 the next morning we got woken up by the kitchen staff arriving in the kitchen below and the extractor fan duct roaring under our window.

There was an elderly German lady at breakfast whose husband was ill and we overheard her saying to one of the staff they'd gone to bed at 9pm and hadn't slept all night. I do hope they were at least offered money off their room! The second night there was a 60th birthday party which went on until about midnight but then there is a club down the road so you can hear the noise from there until about 3ish. They could at least make people aware of all this so you can ask for a room at the back right hand side of the hotel which I reckon would be the quietest part.

We didn't try the food on offer apart from breakfast which was acceptable, although both mornings they only seemed to have one member of staff on duty so had to wait for tables to be cleared. They are a Brains pub so have a good selection of Brains SA, Gold and one or two others but I didn't find out whether they were cask or keg (I suspect keg).

When we checked out they were just going to take our key and let us go until I pointed out we hadn't yet paid... the girl then had to get someone else (who was dressed like they hadn't even started their shift) to come and take our credit card. £75 a night inc. breakfast which I suppose is ok but I've stayed in Premier Inns for that price which blow this place out of the water.

Its such a shame this could be a good hotel but unless they had some strong competition or the economy of the whole area improves I just don't think it's going to get any better. Do yourself a favour and hire out a holiday apartment on the marina instead, £20 a night cheaper and you can sort out your own food from the Tescos in town.

Room Tip: Don't stay here look at other options. If you really must stay here ask for a room at the back away from the main road and away from their function room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple