“Bit basic, but a good hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lord Nelson

and 1 more site!
Lord Nelson
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milford Haven
London, England
“Bit basic, but a good hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I think I'm right in saying that the Lord Nelson is the only hotel in Milford Haven. I certainly didn't see anything to match its size in the area. There are a few B&Bs overlooking the Valero LNG terminal, but that's about it.

I had a superior double room on the first floor. The room was large, but extremely hot. A/C isn't standard in most hotels, and this one gets very hot! All of the rooms that I could see are at least one floor up, and there is not a lift, so one needs to take that into account if one has a disability or issue with climbing stairs. The wifi isn't great in the rooms, and there's no cable access. This was a problem for me as I was working and needed to Skype colleagues overseas. Having said that, the signal in the bar was alright.

The accommodation is fading in places and has a bit of a musty smell, but if you're looking for a crash pad to get out and about to explore the beautiful countryside, then its a good option. The hotel has a bar in it which is run by Cardiff-based brewery, Brains. The food is of good quality (think somewhere between Wetherspoons and All Bar One), serving traditional pub fayre. There is an outside seating area for the sunny days, and everything is decently priced.

I was in Milford Haven on business, but if I need to return again, I would have no hesitation at staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BRMB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night here and found our stay to be good. Very large bed, newly decorated room and bathroom was clean.

There was a kettle, coffee, tea, biscuits and bottles of water in the room which was great.

Breakfast in the morning was good. There is tea, coffee, orange juice out but unfortunately no water. There were individual boxes of cereals, yogurt and milk out. There was a selection of cooked breakfasts - traditional breakfast, veggie breakfast, selection of fish, toast , eggs.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and it was very good value for money. Would stay here again if in the area.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alice L
Bourton on the Water
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at the Lord Nelson on a Friday night on a visit to check on a boat in the marina (only a short walk away down some steps, so the Lord Nelson was perfectly located for us) and when we walked in the bar was busy. On our way up to the room we thought we'd made a mistake as the stairs were none too clean, but once we were in the residential section it was all fine. Our room was large, comfortable and clean, there was virtually no noise from the bar below (some from the street late at night but we did have windows open). Breakfast was OK, but could have been cooked longer, everything slightly underdone for our tastes.
Would stay here again for an overnight if we needed to.
Close enough to railway station to walk to. Didn't eat here so can't comment on the bar food. Staff all pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joala
Pontypool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

As my usual hotel was fully booked , I stayed for one night at the Nelson.The room was large, clean with a comfortable bed. the hotel was refurbed recently by s.a. brains and it showed
There was no noise from the bar below and I had a good nights sleep. I am unable to review the food as I ate elsewhere

Room Tip: sea view if possible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rhyshywel
Jedburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Went to a wedding in The Lord Nelson, it was great, the staff especially Tom, who bent over backwards to make our stay really good, nothing was too much trouble for him, in fact all of the staff were great even though they where doing double shifts due to holidays.
The beds could have done with mattress protectors on them and it could have done with new pillows, if I had read the reviews before hand I would have taken my own, the rooms had been redone recently, but it looked like they have been having problems with leaks on the floor above affecting the rooms on the first floor but it did not affect our stay, old place like this always have problems.
The Wedding Package that my Brother had booked was great value for money.
Once again thank you for a wonderfull stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Staff are rude
Meal was poor
Service was non existent
I ordered pudding it was 35 min and we went to see we're it was we could not find any staff
for 15 mins
Do not eat there the food is terrible
Staff do not help when you can find any that is
We were having birthday dinner
We we're told not to go there the service was bad the manager is very young and inexperienced
DO NOT GO THERE TO EAT

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Marco10787440

Travellers are raving about these Milford Haven hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

A friend and I stayed at this place whilst visiting Skomer Island in Wales.... rooms are large and spotlessly clean...staff cannot do enough to help..... we asked for a take away breakfast for an early start and were given enough food to last all day!
I would definitely recommend this place for it's friendliness and cleanliness...we had a lovely stay and no complaints whatsoever.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
#3 of 7 in Haverfordwest
Twr y Felin Hotel
Twr y Felin Hotel
#1 of 6 in St Davids

Been to Lord Nelson? Share your experiences!