Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Corrs Corner Hotel(Newtownabbey)
US$116
US$83
TripAdvisor
All reviewshomemade breadbelfast international airportlough neaghgreen roomnorthern irelandone nightyogurtview over the lakeshort walkmemorable staylocal producea lovely staycouldn't do enoughelizabethhostbedroomgp
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I spent 1 night at Bay Cottage during our recent cycling trip through Northern Ireland. What a relaxing and comfortable stay! Norman and Elizabeth were so welcoming and Elizabeth's hospitality was amazing! Thank you both for delicious meals and conversation. We loved staying with you at your lovely home!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dilly61, Owner at Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

It was a pleasure to meet you both and I hope the rest of the trip was a success. We thought about you every time it rained. I do hope you return some day and we can hear about the adventures I am sure you had. Best wishes, Elizabeth

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I cannot rate this B&B highly enough. Elizabeth was so welcoming when I arrived and really put me at my ease. She went beyond the call of duty in offering me a glass of wine and in providing coffee and biscuits to some friends who came to meet me the following morning. The peace and quiet of Lough Neagh was just the ticket as I had returned from a funeral that day. The setting of the cottage by the tranquil shores of the lough is idyllic, complete with sheep, geese and hens and a beautiful cat. Inside, the B&B is clean and comfortable and everything has been thought of. I didn't really want to leave! The breakfast is also excellent and again Elizabeth caters to all requirements; the home made jam is not to be missed. If you have any reason at all to be in the area, you should definitely stay here, and if not you should go for its own sake! Staying here is good for the soul.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Dilly61, Owner at Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Will,

I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your day with your friends and didn't have any problems with the car.

It was lovely to meet you and I hope you will return for happier reasons.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I never stayed at a B&B before so we were not sure what to expect. Elizabeth put us at ease right away and I'm sure we will stay at more B&Bs in the future but I don't know if we will ever find one better. The building was an old farm house that Elizabeth and her husband Norman totally remodeled and was in excellent condition. The bedroom was large and clean and the breakfast was just awesome with fresh fruits and bread and a hot cooked portion that I could not even finish, and I'm a big eater! Farm fresh everything! We stayed 2 nights and would have stayed even longer. It was a little hard to get to but well worth it. Right across from the Largest loch in Ireland with an great view from our bedroom. It's close to Belfast which was just a 30 minute drive to. My wife and I would highly recommend the Bay Cottage B&B.
Peggy & Dave Wearing
Palm Harbor, Florida

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave W

Dear Peggy and Dave,

Thank you for your comments and I am delighted that you will try a few more B&Bs - we are all different but I believe that all B&B owners try to make our guests comfortable.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and will return to the UK if not Northern Ireland.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed two nights at this cozy B&B in Aldergrove, which is about twenty minutes from Downtown Belfast. It was so wonderful there that we almost didn't want to leave to go sightseeing! Elizabeth and Norman are wonderful hosts and our every need was fulfilled. Elizabeth even catered to my dairy allergy by providing special dairy-free items at breakfast, including homemade biscuits! Her breakfasts were amazing - like something from a magazine. All the eggs come from their chickens and the bacon from pigs they raised last year. We will definitely return and stay longer next time. I can't wait!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Boysens
Dilly61, Owner at Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thank you so much for the lovely review. Delighted that you enjoyed your few days in Northern Ireland and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed for one night in this b&b in May. We picked it as it was near boyfriends work [ in process of moving] and offered an apartment which gave us more space.

Good points: The hostess is very friendly and welcoming - offered us scones and tea when we arrived though we were going out then so she left on kitchen table. Apartment was very clean and tidy and came with everything you needed.

Bad points: The hostess is alittle OTT - When we got out of car to open door of apartment we seen two lovely dogs and within 2 sec the host was out explaining everything to us which at near 10pm we didn't really need. At breakfast we were running late and we just wanted two boiled eggs with the selection of fruit she provided - she kept on saying would we like anything more which is normally lovely if someone asks us once but Elizabeth asked us 5times. We also wanted boiled egg and she couldn't find holders which wasn't an issue so we opted for poached eggs but again she kept asking us was it ok. Poached egg was nice and due to early morning I left abit of mine but host rudely said 'oh you obviously didn't enjoy' - I did ! I didn't feel like I really needed to explain myself. I also found at £80 it is rather expensive for a place in the middle of nowhere.

This place is lovely and host is nice but I would say tone down on asking people do they like/enjoy. This place is better suited to a relaxing weekend stay opposed to mid week quick stay.

Room Tip: Apartment is better to pay that extra £20 .
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank francescaf218
Dilly61, Owner at Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay as much as I would have hoped. I do apologise if you thought I was being rude re the comment over the egg, I was merely concerned that you had not enjoyed your second choice of breakfast.
I agree our location is rural but I feel this gives us the advantage of peace and quiet whilst only 3 miles from the International airport and convenient to most major road networks ensuring the majority of N.I. is easily accessible. This makes us a perfect base for those staying for business or pleasure – I do admit to bias!
On the issue of value for money – the Hayloft is furnished for self-catering but with the added benefit of B&B and we use Egyptian cotton bedding and towels. Our full breakfast is prepared using our own free range eggs, and home reared pork products and local produce whenever possible. As you know I am happy to cater for those with specific dietary requirements with advance notice. I feel that the price is good value. All this was explained to you when you booked and you were offered one of the B&B rooms in the house at a lower rate.