“Pleasant stay in farmhouse location”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Yellowham Farmhouse
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Great location for exploring Weymouth, Portland, Dorchester and Jurassic Coast. Friendly welcome. Great food and helpful staff. Peaceful location off the beaten track but close to the A34. Immaculate, clean room. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqui M

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had the misfortune of staying at Yellowham Farmhouse in spite of an otherwise pleasant trip around the UK. I have never written a review on this website despite being a regular user for many years. I've been to some very crummy old places, from ratholes in London to lesser ratholes in villages abroad, and have never once felt such a strong urge to complain. And I think that's saying a lot.

Our first impression of Yellowham was that the rooms were very clean, tidy and well-furnished, as happily indicated by the peer-review on this website. Needless to say it all spiralled downhill from there.

When we tried to run the bath there was no hot water. It was rather late at night, 10:00 PM, so we decided not to alert the hostess for fear of disturbing her. Shortly after, the electricity went out in one of our rooms. Again we decided to retire for the night and to make no fuss about it. It wasn't such a big deal and we can certainly accept that we were staying at a farmhouse, where indeed things cannot be expected to work 100% of the time.

In the next morning we finally alerted her to the problems. She came to check, but was more interested in assigning blame rather than in actually diagnosing the issues. She indicated that someone--it had to be us--had used up all the hot water. I was the first person to use it, so let it be known that the hot water ran for no more than 30 seconds before turning freezing cold. I think she had it set in her mind that we had also, somehow, tampered with the electricity. "It was fine yesterday and now it's not," I quote her verbatim, "I've had no problems since January and now you seem to be having all the problems"; therefore we had to be at fault.

Questionable logic, but let's even grant that it was our fault (it certainly wasn't; the only thing we were doing was charging a camera and there is no problem with our equipment). When is it ever right to assume so much, knowing so little? The least she could have done was to acknowledge and remedy the problem with a smile on her face, of which she consistently proved to be incapable. When at breakfast I told her in the nicest way possible that I could not get the shower to work (the handle was perfectly stiff and three of us had tried it to no avail, though we did not dare pull too hard for fear of breaking it), and I asked her for assistance, she went into the room with an foul and infelicitious air about her. After a VERY strenuous pull she only just managed to get it to budge, gestured a pallid "OK" and literally barged outside. Obviously at this point my patience had run dry. I trailed after her and asked why she was purposely being rude. I cannot fathom for the life of me what I have done to incur so much discourtesy. Again she decided to play the blame game. I pointed out that she should not assume her equipment to be so inerrant, and that she was too quick to accuse us of whatever it is she thought we had done. Of the latter case I told her that I had only asked for help with the shower-handle, and that she by no means had to be so unkind about it. Her answer was, "I admit it was a bit difficult to pull, but it wasn't *too* difficult for me." Perhaps the reader can be the judge as to why hers was NOT the appropriate response. At this point I realised it was useless trying to correct her, and paid full price for two barely-functional rooms, and bade my farewell.

It's such a shame to see such promising facilities fail for lack of adequate hostmanship. If the hostess had been more accommodating and hospitable I predict none of this would have happened. This hotel fails at a human level, and that to me is the most inadmissible kind of failure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Nugunn W
Reviewed 10 August 2014

As with other reviews, we felt unwelcome and the breakfast on the mean side. One slice of toast per person and not a full English Breakfast. The room was clean but the beds were on the hard side. Unfortunately, the noisy bathroom extract fan in the next room appeared to be left on a lot of the night which resulted in lost sleep. Will look for somewhere more generous and friendly next time.
It's a shame as the setting is lovely.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 579MikeA
Reviewed 22 June 2014

A very nice place to stay to reach along the Jurassic Coast.
Lovely rooms also the guests lounge is adjacent to the dinning room which is la lovely place to sit and read a huge selection of books on the Dorset Coast and all the wildlife.

The breakfast was good with a few options , also the usual cereals ,juice etc.with some fresh fruit, it would have been nice to have had more fruit perhaps Prunes and some soft fruits etc, but what we had was nicely cooked and served and quite adequate .

All very tastefully furnished and spotlessly clean. My only tiny criticism was in room four the hair dryer supplied I could not use very successfully as none of the plugs were near a mirror to blow dry my hair, I managed plugging it in outside the bathroom door and was just able to see in the mirror from a distance, so a mirror near a plug would be nice, I feel a bit mean suggesting this as it really was a nice stay.

It's just off the A35 with amazing countryside. The pub called The Thimble is a lovely place to eat too.but is about 8miles away..

Surrey Gadabout.

Room Tip: This is a purpose built annex to the farmhouse I would imagine all rooms to be the same .
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SurreyGadabout
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Clean and tidy; it would have been nice to have had a jug of fruit juice available at breakfast, instead of having just a three-quarters full glass left for us; the English breakfast was adequate. There was a comfortable lounge with plenty of literature and books, and ample parking.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Reg W
Reviewed 28 August 2013

When we managed to book all three nights of a Bank Holiday weekend at short notice we feared the worst but this was an excellent find. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the lounge, complete with loads of books on wildlife, Dorset, Hardy, etc. is a great place to relax.

The breakfast was good and we had a great weekend. The place is a little hard to find at first but once you have got the hang of the turn-off, you realise how well-positioned this B+B is for exploring the area. There are some great pubs for dinner in the Piddle valley.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PETRA001
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

This is the quietest place I have ever stayed. Very comfortable and clean and a great location. However, this is a working farm with rooms attached so breakfast is a bit limited and shower gels aren't always replenished. I thought it was good value for the quality of the room.The owner was friendly with us. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank EmmaN16

Been to Yellowham Farmhouse? Share your experiences!