“Awful.”
Review of Hellaby Hall Hotel

Hellaby Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hellaby
Reviewed 31 March 2014

A last minute business booking. The 'Executive Room' was a shocker, looked as if it hadn't had a make over since the mid 80's, terrible bed, for the rate you would at least expect a complimentary bottle of water. The refurbished family room wasn't any better. Room service took an hour and half to arrive and the steak was like chewing through an old wellie. Seriously, they need to up their game.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank rhill1024
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Sir

It is with great disappointment that I learn of your recent experience at Hellaby Hall.
I am sorry that our executive rooms did not meet your expectations; however I am pleased that reception had offered you a complimentary upgrade to our deluxe rooms that have actually been recently refurbished and are well received by the majority of our guests.

I am sorry that at the time you had decided not to take the refurbished room and remained in the executive bedroom you had booked.
I struggle to understand that your room service took 1 ½ hours to arrive as all the orders are timed and we apply a strict policy that if you do not receive you food within a suitable time it will not be charged , had you made the reception team aware at the time I am sure my team would have gladly removed the items from your bill.

It is surprising that you did not enjoy your steak as I can assure you that all our produce are of the highest standards and we have been recently awarded a rosette for culinary excellence.

I hope that upon reflection you will give Hellaby Hall another try and my team and I will be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We went to the Carnelly Restaurant at Hellaby Hall with a Groupon voucher, and we didn't have particularly high hopes, even though we have sometimes impossibly high standards. The meal was absolutely amazing, we had fish cakes which were beautifully fresh, followed by gnocchi for me and a beef roast for my husband; both superb. However the highlight of the meal for us were the puddings, we chose vanilla cheesecake and I've never tasted anything as delicious at a restaurant . We had a large glass of red (and by large I mean "bucket") included in the deal. The staff couldn't do enough for us and we had such a fab afternoon.
We were told that Hellaby Hall had just hired a new Chef, so please near this review in mind when you read the older reviews below which may now be defunct due to this exciting change of staff.
Well done Hellaby Hall, you're on again up there with Aston Hall and the Sheffield restaurants.

2  Thank Valhallababy
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest

It is with great pleasure that I read your review and I am delighted that you found our newly awarded rosette Carnelly restaurant up there with other hotels.
It is always great to see that my team’s efforts are being recognised by our guests and the AA, I will pass your kind words to the team.
My Team and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed in this beautiful hotel over a Friday and Saturday night, the place is fantastic we very much enjoyed our stay and everything on offer.
We arrived and had afternoon tea in the lounge area, very modern, clean and relaxing. We used the pool and leisure centre which again was very clean and a great bonus. Dinner was beautiful on both nights as was breakfast. Our bedroom was in the modern wing and a great size, much bigger than expected.
Having read some of the negative previous reviews we do feel that some people do bend the truth somewhat, we happened to be behind a group on girls on check out and they were obviously there on a hen weekend, we overheard the girls fabricating their story in order to have money taken off their bill. Whilst we were there we didn’t experience any problems with our hot water and the girls were just trying their luck. Fortunately the manager dealt with them very well and dismissed their story telling. I think this is why they have put a review about the management; they were actually very helpful and could see the girls for what we will bethey were. Such a great shame that people are like this these days. back very soon WELL DONE HELLABY

2  Thank MrseR
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted that you found all aspects of your stay to be of high standards and value.
I am happy to see that you have managed to sample our afternoon tea as well as the food in our newly awarded rosette restaurant.
It is great to see that you have taken the time to visit our leisure club and that you were happy with all aspect of your stay.
My team and I look forward to welcoming you to Hellaby Hall again.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My partner and I took a spring break booking direct with the hotel. Be careful if approaching using a sat nav the post code takes you onto the adjoining industrial estate and then to the hotels loading bay. There is a map giving you directions to get the front of the hotel. Not the most impressive first impression. But granted not the hotels fault. Our room wasn't ready as we had arrived early. We went to the bar until our room was ready. The bar was empty but wasn't staffed so once we had been served we needed to go back to reception and ask for another drink. We went into the spa for a relaxing swim and Jacuzzi however there was a lot of children in the pool obviously not guests at the hotel. The pool and spa are open to the public. We returned to our room that incidentally are very premier inn. The windows were rattling in the breeze we rang reception and they sent someone along who agreed that it was annoying and would keep us awake. They found us another room and we repacked and moved to another room. By now most of the afternoon was gone and we hadn't really had chance to relax. When we got to our alterative room we went to shower and get ready for dinner only to find there was no hot water!!!! Dinner was served in the restaurant that is completely soulless and brightly lit. No back ground music or ambiance. Food was OK but almost everything on the menu was at a supplement. Upon check out we was asked the obligatory was everything ok when I pointed out some of the issues we had had. The receptionist said Oh I am sorry. End of conversation. Upon checking the bill we had been overcharged but was put right promptly with an apology. Will not be going back sorry

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear guest thank you for choosing Hellaby Hall for your spring break.
I apologise my team could not check you in earlier then the advertised arrival time as we were fully booked the night prior
I am sorry you thought our rooms were average but I am glad the reception team were able to resolve that for you on the day.
The hotel was not particularly busy at the time you had dinner, as most our guests during the week only arrive late at night.
I am pleased you had an overall good stay and apologise for your hot water issue had we known at the time my team would have been able to find a solution suitable for you.
I hope that upon reflection you would eventually give Hellaby Hall another try.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

The hotel staff are fab. Nothing was to much trouble and everything was done with a smile. I was there on business for a week and had a few issues with my room which they eventually sorted.

The food in the restaurant is slow to come but waitress fantastic. I opted for the food in the bar which is fine and much quicker inits delivery.

The pool and gym are very good.

Again the staff couldn't do enough to make my say better with what they have.

I would recommend the place for a business trip, not sure about a special weekend away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

I am delighted you have found the staff at Hellaby Hall to be wonderful and that you have taken the time to sample our bar menu offerings.

I am sorry there was a wait for restaurant food but that the hotel managed to cater for you very quickly at the bar.

My team and I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We decided to treat our mums to a spa weekend to this hotel following some recommendations from other friends.
As soon as we walked in we were greeted by a lovely fella who made us feel very welcome & got us booked in promptly so we could hit the spa!
The hotel was beautiful however the rooms were a slight let down.
The pool was large and warm. There was a jacuzzi, steam room & sauna that you could use. These were not the best spa facilities I have ever used but for the price you can't complain!
Most of the rest of our break was spent in the bar, which had a very cosy and warm feeling around it.
The bar staff were just lovely. Very friendly and informative about the history of the building and the families who have lived there over the centuries.
The restaurant was excellent. All our meals were beautiful.
The breakfasts were disappointing in my opinion. If your happy with a full English then your fine, but I personally enjoy a continental breakfast which they had run out of before we arrived at 9am but that's being picky!
All in all we had a fantastic overnight stay & would defiantly return to Hellaby hall again but would pay extra to have a better room located in the main house.
I do have to point out the fact that Hellaby hall have some of the nicest staff members I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Nathan imparticular was our favorite! Nothing was too much trouble & he really looked after us!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Ciara

It is with great pleasure that I read your recent experience at Hellaby Hall and my team and I would like to thank you for such lovely comments.
I am delighted you found Hellaby Hall provided you with great customer service.

I am sorry you feel that the continental breakfast was lacking in substance however your comments have been taken into consideration by the team and the chef and we will look to improving our offerings.

I am happy you found the Spa/Gym to be nice and that you enjoyed the atmosphere in the bar and found the team to be very helpful.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hellaby Hall in the near future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived on Saturday morning and used leisure facilities and had a lovely time! Errors started to occur when going for lunch which took far too long to take food and drinks orders as no one could get till to work correctly and one member of staff didn't appear trained in this area! Food came mine was nice but a few friends wasn't! However as a group we had allocated ourselves about 1hour 30 mins to have lunch and to relax before the start of treatments at 2pm because of the delays lunch was rushed! We asked the management for a complimentary drink because of the delays he offered us wine with evening meal which later we found the message hadn't been passed on but luckily the manager at the time understood and obliged! Had Spa treatment and was lovely! Spent a bit more time in the pool and then checked in! At no point were we told of water issues at check in! Got to room note on bed saying hot water issues, tested ours and had no water at all! It was a similar situation for friends of ours in 5 other rooms! One group of friends in the more modernised part of hotel had hot water! We informed reception and were told duty manager would look into no one ever came to investigate! Had to use leisure centre showers which were hot however locks did not work on most of the doors which isn't ideal when there are also families using the showers! Got ready to go to meal after some confusion by the hotel and then changing meal time! Meal honestly was lovely and I really enjoyed it and it was good the manager in the restaurant honoured our free wine even though the message hadn't been passed on! In the morning still had no hot water but at least water was coming out of the tap! At breakfast we all arrived at different times my friend and I arrived to no clear tables and no staff to seat us! Eventually we found a table and cleared it ourselves some of our friends had also had to do this! We had no cups or cutlery, hardly any breakfast was out had serve our own tea and coffee from urns! Eventually got a cup and staff said may need to wipe it! I could hardly blame poor girl working there rushed off her feet with what appeared to be an inexperienced member of staff to bring out top ups for buffet breakfast! Two of our friends had checked out during breakfast and discussed issues at reception and agreed some discount! On check out of the rest of the group one girl had already complained about several issues over the weekend and the duty manager explained it was company policy to have a return visit for free due to our complaints and told manager would contact us to discuss issues in the week! All the hotel has done since is back track on what they originally told us and the issues are on going! Personally this hotel could be fab but it is badly managed, was under staffed and doesn't keep to it word! Therefore I suppose if you have a hassle free stay then great but as we found out that can't be guaranteed!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mjra
HHgeneralmanager, General Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for your comments; we are sorry that you have had cause to submit this review especially after many communications via email and telephone.
We see that you and your party of guests have put many reviews relating to your stay and we address them collectively.

We are very sorry that during your stay that two of the bedrooms encountered hot water problems, this is something that was out of the hotels control at the time and we are sorry that this happened and caused you an inconvenience, however we were happy that we were able to give you a solution to this and you were able to have a hot shower but regret that this hindered your stay. I can confirm that this problem has now been addressed and resolved.

Many of your comments throughout the many reviews do indeed contradict themselves and as discussed we do not accept that they are the true likeness of what happened during your stay. As stated above we have had many conversations over the telephone and email and it appears that your comments change each and every time we try and resolve this for you.

As a gesture of good will we did offer and issue a refund to you and your guests, which appears still not to be satisfactory. We are very sorry that we cannot amicably agree a resolution to your comments raised however we will not accept fabrication in order for you to achieve not only a refund but a further stay and further monetary compensation.

I do hope that in time you will appreciate that we accept we don’t get things right 100% of the time and hope that the other positive reviews in which you indicate within your review show that we do get things right most of the time, however I am sorry that on this occasion you felt we didn’t.

Finally, I am pleased that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and that you found the team and the food to be fantastic, it is also great to hear that your treatments were good and you had a lovely time overall.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellaby
5 mi away
#3 of 15 in Rotherham
Restover Lodge Hotel
Restover Lodge Hotel
#14 of 15 in Rotherham

Been to Hellaby Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!