“Limited Number Of Staff On Duty”
Review of Hellaby Hall Hotel

Hellaby Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hellaby
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed here for 1 night last night in room 40, the hotel has a large free car park and checked in which was fast and easy. Was on a room only rate of £49.00 which seemed like a good deal for a 4 star hotel. Cannot comment on the meals at this hotel due to not eating here. On going to my room after check (2pm) in I noticed an empty tea pot and plate on a table in the reception area lounge, walked past this same empty cup and table at 6pm. On arriving at room, noticed how stuffy it was, no air conditioning. Room had a big floor area although it had a sloping roof so limited on one side of the bed if 2 people shared this room. Had the usual large LCD TV, iron/ironing board, tea/coffee facilities, work desk, free wifi. The room appeared clean and the bathroom was modern and had toiletries (shower gel,shampoo) but the extractor fan didn't appear to work. Went to hotel bar to get a drink and was told if wanted to pay for the drink, had to go downstairs to reception to make payment, opted to add to my room as didn't want a walk at the time as had just gone up stairs to relax in bar/lounge area. The hotel seemed to be stretched for staff on duty as later last night was in lounge area for an hour and a customers empty plate and glasses had sat there for over an hour and had not been cleared up, it was obvious there was no one sitting there. On check out I was provided with an invoice charging me £12 for a cooked breakfast which I didn't have, this was cleared up very swiftly but It concerns me that some people don't check the bill themselves and just pay without thinking. Overall this hotel appears a nice clean, good quality hotel and for the price it was a good deal although I do think they need more staff on and to encourage the bar and lounge area to become busier for a better atmosphere.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Matt C
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Sir

Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel, we at Hellaby Hall appreciate all feedback as it helps us improve our standards.
We have now fixed the fan in the room you had stayed in and also resolved your other points mentioned about the bar and the atmosphere these issues have now been addressed.
We currently have a new bar menu on offer and should you stay with us again I am sure you will find it to your liking, and the team and I will be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here Fri 4th July to Mon 7th to experience Yorkshire hospitality and the Tour de France. Fri no dinner available until 9.00pm despite the dining room being empty. Sat 5th no cooked breakfast available as we were told 6.00am too early for chef. Packed substitute meal A DISGRACE. Not even enough paper bags to go round so handed between two -2 uninteresting small brioche, pkt containing 2 plain biscuits, 1, YES 1 banana between 2, and a small bottle of water each. Arrived back along with group of American tourists, they went straight to dinner, we were forced to wait until 9.00. They got breakfast at 6.00am Sunday. We got no hot water for shower or bath. And this was repeated again on Monday morning. Night Porter/Reception Staff pleasant as were waiting and bar staff. Manager noticeable by his absence.

Room Tip: Bit of a rabbit warren especially if you get a ground floor room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AJP20
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Sir

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments, I am very glad to see that you found the staff to be pleasant, however I am disappointed that you could not book into the restaurant on the day as it was full for the Friday night I would advise you in the future to book the restaurant in advance to insure a time slot of your liking.
I am sorry that at the time you have experienced hot water issues you did not inform the reception team at the time as that would have allowed us to act on this immediately and rectify it to your satisfaction.
I am sorry that although the hotel did its best to cater for a packed lunch for you at the last minute that it fell short of your expectations, I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays and bank holiday only starts from 08:00am any requirements for an earlier breakfast should be booked 24h beforehand.
I am pleased that my team were able to accommodate the early breakfast on Sunday as they had received enough notice although all guest came down from 7:30 as requested by the tour operator.
Finally i hope that upon reflection you will find that the hotel has tried to cater for your needs giving the very short time frame given and that in the future should you visit Hellaby Hall my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here last night and the Hotel gym was great, lots of cardio equipment and weights, this is important to me as I stay away frequently during the week. My room was large and clean with a really comfortable double bed. All the staff were very friendly & efficient, overall good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank itravalot61

Dear Guest

It is delightful to see that you have made full use of the new cardio equipment in the leisure club as we have recently spent over 130k in refurbishment, i am also delighted that you have found all the staff to be friendly, professional and efficient.
The team and i look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel in June on a coach holiday, there were 36 of us. We had good expectations, but the staffing in the dining room, especially breakfast time was awful. Our last day at breakfast time, the dining room was full, but there were only 2 staff on duty, we just couldn't attract the waitress for our tea or coffee, we eventually got it after we had eaten our breakfast. In the evening on 2 occasions the food just wasn't cooked properly, for dessert there was poached pear which hadn't been poached and was rock hard, there was also rice pudding again not cooked with the rice hard just in the milk. The meat pie was over salted. The chicken on another night very dry. They need to change the chef and get more staff. Would not go there again. Barbara D

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your recent comments, my team and I have taken your feedback on board and we are sorry you have not fully enjoyed your evening meal. I am sorry that your dessert was not cooked to your liking but I understand that the team quickly rectified it and were able to offer an alternative meal. Finally I would like to say that all your comments have been passed on to the head chef and the team and that we have acted on this immediately. My team and I hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My son booked this hotel over a year ago to get married there on the 7th of June 2014. I, like many people read reviews, that were far from what I wanted to read, with my sons wedding approaching, I was very concerned. I needn't have worried.though, because the day couldn't have gone any better. The hotel and grounds are lovely, making a great setting for photos. Everywhere I looked was clean. The hotel staff were attentive and helpful, The meal was faultless and served very efficiently. The evening buffet was the same, along with breakfast that was constantly replenished by a number of staff, who also cleared and reset tables, again with the same efficiency.

I can only say good things about this hotel and thoroughly recommend it for a wedding venue. Our special day spent there, from start to finish, will be remembered with only fond memories.

I would like to especially thank the Deputy General Manager, Sebastian Rizk, who couldn't have been more professional and helpful, he is a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Kerry F

Dear Guest.

It is with great pleasure that I read your recent review and see that your son’s very special day was a great success and that nothing was left to chance. I am delighted that you chosen to ignore some of the comments on trip advisor and that you have been proven right to do so.
I was delighted to oversee your sons wedding and I am delighted everything went to plan and that you found your entire stay to be hassle free and the entire staff to bee professional and very helpful.
The team and I look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 25 June 2014

i went with a friend for an afternoon tea in june 2014 on a thurs so it was lovely and quiet and they let us sit in the garden because it was lovely warm and sunny. the waitress was very attentive but not overpowering, the food was lovely and plentiful so a relaxing couple of hours was had by us both, would recommend especially if you get a good deal of one of the social sites like we did .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank jackietheboss

Dear Guest.

I would like to start by thanking you for your comments; I am happy to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your time at the hotel and found that the service and food offerings are of high standards, I am delighted that you managed to enjoy a lovely afternoon tea in the gardens.
My team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Hellaby Hall

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Have just stayed 2 nights at this hotel, absolutely lovely staff, very clean, very large room,was lacking a fridge or minibar and also needed air on as very warm room..
I Was booked in for spa treatments by receptionist at the hotel, but when I went to the spa for them it was shut.....
.but a nice enough stay apart from the restaurant in the evening...
Breakfast and lunch was great apart from its hard to find a breakfast table that's been cleared away of previous diners dishes, evening meal however left a lot to be desired, my starter of salmon roulade was frozen solid, main of chicken, extremely dry and rubbery on a bed of over cooked veg...
dessert was poached pear and compote which consisted of 3 very thin slices of pear, half a strawberry and one grape....with some raw crumble topping and ice-cream...plus a half dead bluebottle..........
Unable to walk out of the hotel as it's next to an industrial site, so probably won't return to this hotel

Room Tip: Don't book ground floor as no aircon...and unsafe to keep windows open at night on ground floor...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank julieparr

Dear Guest

I am happy to see that you have found all the staff at hellaby to be lovely and I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast however I am sorry that the breakfast room was busy. I will make sure I pass your comment to the head chef and hope to see you in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellaby
5 mi away
Ibis Rotherham East
Ibis Rotherham East
#5 of 15 in Rotherham
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Hellaby Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!