“A Very Pleasant Stay”
Review of Hellaby Hall Hotel

Hellaby Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hellaby
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked this hotel as a convenient place to stay after a day out. On arrival we realised there was a wedding party booked in but this caused no problems with check-in. The desk staff were pleasant and we were soon in our rooms. The rooms were surprisingly spacious and comfortably furnished and we had a good night's sleep with no noise issues. The bed was really comfy. It was a bit of a walk from Reception but no big problem. We later found that there was a small lift close to our room that we could use to reach the Spa and pool which was very convenient. The pool was quite large and though there were plenty of users it didn't feel crowded. We did not eat in the hotel that night as we were conscious many of the wedding party guests were still around but in the morning we enjoyed the buffet breakfast. It was quite busy, and the staff seemed to struggle to keep the various items topped up, particularly the fresh fruit, but when it arrived it was all nicely prepared and delicious. Again, the hard-working staff were friendly and helpful. We had experienced some problems at the time of booking, but we were more than satisfied with the way this was resolved by the hotel. We would definitely return to Hellaby Hall.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janet S
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest

It is with great joy that I read your recent review and see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff, rooms and breakfast to be of high quality and to find that your needs and expectation were met and that your expectations were matched by the service and customer care we offer.

Many Regards

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We use vouchers all the time to stay in hotels and again we were not disappointed. Having read some negative reviews I have to say that our experience here on Saturday night was excellent. First impressions were very good of a tidy & clean hotel. Checking in was pleasant and as we always ask for rooms well away/as high floor or distance from the main hotel areas we were pleased to be given room 85 which in fact was close to the pool/spa which was great. The room was quite large and bathroom was clean & good quality products and towels. We used the pool sauna/steam room in the afternoon which was as good as any facilities we have used anywhere before. We ate in the bar in the evening and the quality & value of the food was good, the staff seemed a little stretched but then it was a Saturday night and there was a wedding function and we thought some guests were very rude to the bar staff who kept up a very professional service despite this. A great nights sleep in comfortable bed. Breakfast in the morning was buffet self-service as you'd expect but there was plenty of staff if you needed anything extra. The food was good quality and very tasty traditional breakfast. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Catherine H

Dear Guest

It is with great delight that I read your review and see that the hotel has delivered all your expectations and that you found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating.
Also it is a great pleasure to see that you have enjoyed our food offerings and the hotel as a hole.
My Team and I look forward to your next visit.

Many Regards

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Took advantage of booking a Summer leisure break and is was perfect from the moment we arrived. We had a fabulous afternoon tea and a couple of glasses of bubbly then it was down to the indoor spa which was extremely relaxing. The evening meal was absolutely wonderful which was a new Summer menu put together by the hotels new Chef, this was followed by a couple of G&T's in the lovely hotels garden.A special mention must go to all the friendly staff who made us feel extremely welcome especially Wendy. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Crapcat
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest

I am very pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your leisure break furthermore I am glad you enjoyed our new summer menu in the restaurant and that you made the most of our newly acquired gym equipment.
The staff and I thank you for your comments and will be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This was diabolical. The sandwiches were warm and going stale. There was cheap sandwich filler if cheeses and onion on 2 and plastic ham on one and the 4th was chicken roll. The cakes were pathetic and the scones not much bigger than a £2 coin. I was very disappointed. I often go for afternoon tea and have had much better for less. It was disgusting

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Michcam35

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your experience at the hotel.
We at Hellaby Hall Hotel strive to achieve excellent service towards every guest however it seems that on this occasion we have fallen short of your expectation and would like the opportunity to redeem ourselves, please do not hesitate in contacting me on the hotel number regarding this matter.

Kind regards

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We recently had a weekend break at Hellaby Hall Hotel and after reading some less than favourable reviews we arrived with a feeling of having made a huge mistake.

How wrong we were!!!

From arrival to departure the hotel staff and facilities did not disappoint in any way.

Friendly and efficient reception staff, with a special mention for Gaynor who went out of her way to be helpful.

The room was spacious and spotless.

We ate in the hotel, both bar meals and the Carnally restaurant. Variety of menu and quality of food were both first class.

We couldn't fault any if the staff but Emma stood out for her cheery personality and advice on meal options and local places of interest.

We will certainly be back to Hellaby.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Bob M

Dear Guest

It is with great pleasure that I read your review and see that you have fully enjoyed your weekend break away and that you found the staff to be extremely helpful and to go the extra mile.
Also I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed the meals in the restaurant it is great to see that the new menu that has been launched with the arrival of the new chef is a great success.
Your comments have been passed on to the reception and restaurant teams, we at Hellaby Hall look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed here for 1 night last night in room 40, the hotel has a large free car park and checked in which was fast and easy. Was on a room only rate of £49.00 which seemed like a good deal for a 4 star hotel. Cannot comment on the meals at this hotel due to not eating here. On going to my room after check (2pm) in I noticed an empty tea pot and plate on a table in the reception area lounge, walked past this same empty cup and table at 6pm. On arriving at room, noticed how stuffy it was, no air conditioning. Room had a big floor area although it had a sloping roof so limited on one side of the bed if 2 people shared this room. Had the usual large LCD TV, iron/ironing board, tea/coffee facilities, work desk, free wifi. The room appeared clean and the bathroom was modern and had toiletries (shower gel,shampoo) but the extractor fan didn't appear to work. Went to hotel bar to get a drink and was told if wanted to pay for the drink, had to go downstairs to reception to make payment, opted to add to my room as didn't want a walk at the time as had just gone up stairs to relax in bar/lounge area. The hotel seemed to be stretched for staff on duty as later last night was in lounge area for an hour and a customers empty plate and glasses had sat there for over an hour and had not been cleared up, it was obvious there was no one sitting there. On check out I was provided with an invoice charging me £12 for a cooked breakfast which I didn't have, this was cleared up very swiftly but It concerns me that some people don't check the bill themselves and just pay without thinking. Overall this hotel appears a nice clean, good quality hotel and for the price it was a good deal although I do think they need more staff on and to encourage the bar and lounge area to become busier for a better atmosphere.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Matt C

Dear Sir

Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel, we at Hellaby Hall appreciate all feedback as it helps us improve our standards.
We have now fixed the fan in the room you had stayed in and also resolved your other points mentioned about the bar and the atmosphere these issues have now been addressed.
We currently have a new bar menu on offer and should you stay with us again I am sure you will find it to your liking, and the team and I will be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here Fri 4th July to Mon 7th to experience Yorkshire hospitality and the Tour de France. Fri no dinner available until 9.00pm despite the dining room being empty. Sat 5th no cooked breakfast available as we were told 6.00am too early for chef. Packed substitute meal A DISGRACE. Not even enough paper bags to go round so handed between two -2 uninteresting small brioche, pkt containing 2 plain biscuits, 1, YES 1 banana between 2, and a small bottle of water each. Arrived back along with group of American tourists, they went straight to dinner, we were forced to wait until 9.00. They got breakfast at 6.00am Sunday. We got no hot water for shower or bath. And this was repeated again on Monday morning. Night Porter/Reception Staff pleasant as were waiting and bar staff. Manager noticeable by his absence.

Room Tip: Bit of a rabbit warren especially if you get a ground floor room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AJP20
sebastian R, Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Sir

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments, I am very glad to see that you found the staff to be pleasant, however I am disappointed that you could not book into the restaurant on the day as it was full for the Friday night I would advise you in the future to book the restaurant in advance to insure a time slot of your liking.
I am sorry that at the time you have experienced hot water issues you did not inform the reception team at the time as that would have allowed us to act on this immediately and rectify it to your satisfaction.
I am sorry that although the hotel did its best to cater for a packed lunch for you at the last minute that it fell short of your expectations, I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays and bank holiday only starts from 08:00am any requirements for an earlier breakfast should be booked 24h beforehand.
I am pleased that my team were able to accommodate the early breakfast on Sunday as they had received enough notice although all guest came down from 7:30 as requested by the tour operator.
Finally i hope that upon reflection you will find that the hotel has tried to cater for your needs giving the very short time frame given and that in the future should you visit Hellaby Hall my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellaby
5 mi away
Ibis Rotherham East
Ibis Rotherham East
#5 of 15 in Rotherham
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Hellaby Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!