Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stow Cum Quy
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights as we were guests at a wedding there. The hotel service and the standard of food for the wedding was very good, it's a pity the service and standard the rest of the stay didn't match. Our room was lovely, it was clean and comfortable and the ensuite looked lovely but it was not practical or well designed. There was a walk in shower but the only thing to hold onto while getting out of it is a red hot towel rail, the bathroom lighting was terrible, no good to put make up on. Breakfast the first day was passable apart from the sausages, everyone in the restaurant left them, my hubby returned his, all because everyone's were raw in the middle. When he received a replacement it was burnt to a crisp on the outside and still raw in the middle. Breakfast the second morning was meant to be a shared wedding breakfast but was spent asking for tea/coffee/jam...come on Quy, that's run of the mill for any hotel we shouldn't have to ask. I heard many other small gripes from other guest s, no morning papers that were ordered, no wake up calls that were requested, all little things but very basic standard stuff that any hotel should manage As Said at the beginning, the wedding and the service from the hotel during that was excellent, shame the rest of the time didn't get the same standard.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Wedding Guests,
Thank-you for your review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed every part of the wedding day from service to quality of food. We pride ourselves in the wedding offering in Quy Mill and are delighted we played a part in this very special occasion.
You have highlighted some points for our consideration which I am thankful for. Such feedback is a valuable way for us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary. I have addressed your comments with the relevant department heads to ensure such lapses in our offering do not occur again and that lessons are learnt to prevent this.
Thank-you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

What can I say? My family and I prefer to stay in small, individual family run/small group/boutique hotels for the personal touch and attention to detail. Yesterday I and my ten year old son had to make an unexpected visit to Cambridge and I went against my normal criteria and booked into this Best Western hotel. Apart from missing the hotel sign, as you literally pass it as you come off the A14, once I found it I was pleasantly surprised!! Firstly even though very close to the A14 I could not hear it once in the hotel. We were welcomed by a friendly reception. Initial impressions, relatively new refurbishment ( found out 4 years ago), tastefully done, open plan, welcoming. Our room was in the Old Mill (so cannot vouch for the barn rooms). Our room was smallish but tastefully decorated, comfy beds, bathroom lovely, tea making facilities, pleasant toiletries etc.We had a quick meal in the bar, staff very attentive and professional. We visited the Spa the following morning, staff friendly and efficient, pool lovely, sauna, hot tub etc, changing rooms pleasant and clean. We would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: I was glad that we were in the main hotel as the weather was awful so it was nice to be able to go u...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us at Quy Mill. It is always a pleasure to hear when people enjoy the facilities and the service we offer. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Quy Mill in the very near future for antother enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed here for two nights at the end of January 2014. Unlike other reviewers, I thought the spa was excellent and the staff were warm and genuine. The room (not in the main hotel) was clean and perfectly adequate for a short stay for one. I found it a little dark (one modest window) and I struggled with the shower. And I *really* don't like UHT milk cartons for my cups of tea. That said, I was happy enough to offer my feedback to the management and I found them proactive and responsive - no flannel. (Proper milk is available on request, I should have asked.) I know some have said it's too far out of Cambridge - well in which case go into the centre, but Quy is very convenient to A14 and the setting is lovely.

Room Tip: Might be better to stay in the main house, not the outbuildings for 'character'.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and particularly the quality and cleanliness of the bathroom, along with the warmth and friendliness of the staff in our Spa. As you have mentioned, we are in very close proximity to the A14 and only 4 miles from Cambridge City Centre, which saves you nearly £30 in parking by coming and staying in Quy Mill.
Thank you once again for your positive comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I purchased the spa day/afternoon tea Groupon deal for my friend's birthday, which was a good deal at just £29. The hotel was easy to find and was very clean. There didn't appear to be a specific member of staff manning the afternoon tea area and whilst staff were friendly they appeared to be unorganised and you had to approach them to obtain top-up tea etc, which was slightly annoying at times.

The spa area was quite small and consisted of a jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and a pool. All the facilities were clean and the other people using the spa were fair in the respect that everyone got a turn using the various facilities.

My friend and I enjoyed our spa day/afternoon tea as part of the Groupon deal. Although, we would be unlikely to return at full price with no deal included as the spa area was small and we had difficulties arranging treatments with staff.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review of your recent visit for Afternoon Tea and use of Spa facilities. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your visit on the whole, however you have mentioned some minor points, which I have addressed with the relevant department heads to ensure these minor points are addressed going forward. Thank-you once again for your comments, such feedback is a valuable way for us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Purchased a groupon voucher and took my girlfriend for her birthday, on her birthday, for a spa day with afternoon tea. Had difficulty from the word go. Once I phoned up to book, the man on the phone had no idea what he was doing. At the end of the call, after having to already clarify everything, he turned around and said he had booked me in for a completely different day than asked, after then pointing that out, he just said, 'oh ok yeah, don't see why that would be a problem' and just hung up.
I then had to email the following day to ask for booking confirmation, which was then emailed over straight away.
Upon arrival we used the pool area briefly before heading over to the main hotel for afternoon tea. Once here, we weren't booked in. We were then questioned by different members of staff why we didn't book, even though I stated I had an email showing I had and got it up to show them. We ordered a glass of Prosecco each to go with our afternoon tea which we were told would be £5 each. Then didn't receive our hot drinks until the afternoon tea was near complete. When paying for the Prosecco, we were then told they cost £6.50 each.. Ridiculous. Not once did I see is price quoted with afternoon tea. So after being told over the phone on booking they cost £5, and it showing on the menu, we get fobbed off with some poor excuse about a groupon voucher meaning you have to pay £6.50? The hotel clearly need to get there information together and correct.
We then headed back to the pool area after being left extremely disappointed, to find swimming lessons taking place in the pool? Surely this is something to warn paying guests about when going for a spa day, so they can chose a different day or plan their day around this!! Thinking it couldn't get any worse, we then went for our treatments. My back massage, thankfully, was sub standard, but my girlfriends treatments were NOT! The therapist scratching away at herself whilst giving a head massage, nice and hygienic! Not completing the treatments as set out in the brochure and being paid for, and then rushing her out afterwards with no offer of a drink or anything, to which she was then sick!!
They then tried to charge us full price for the treatments, which were 25% off with the groupon booking! which was stated! well! I lost count of how many times we were having to repeat everything.
Clearly no communication is used at this facility as nobody has a clue, the service is the poorest I have ever received at a spa and I certainly would NEVER recommend a visit, be it over night, for food or to use the spa. The constant loud humming noise everywhere through the spa, including meat and greet area, is enough to give anyone a headache!

AVOID AT ALL COST - a strong letter of complaint will be going out shortly

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have received during your recent visit to out Leisure Club. I am disappointed to read such comments, and can assure you these have been addressed with the relevant department heads to ensure any such lapses do not occur again. We have ensured re-training in some key areas has been carried out to avoid repeat. Thank-you once again for your comments, such feedback helps us to improve our operation as necessary. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is a delightful hotel with great access to the Science Park in Cambridge. I stayed in room 301: utterly restful and exceptionally well furnished and equipped, especially the modern bathroom.

The wi-fi is free and works well.

We didn’t eat there, but breakfast was good and service prompt. From past experience the restaurant is good.

So why only 4 stars? The hotel has a hot water supply problem in the old mill building! Try taking a shower between 7 and 8am and the flow rate is pitiful. My colleague, who was in another room on the same floor, had the same problem. We mentioned this at checkout and got the distinct feeling that this is a “known problem”.

I understand that this problem isn’t shared by the new rooms built in the barn annex.

This could be an almost perfect hotel. All they need to do is get the water supply sorted out!

Room Tip: If you want to shower between 7 and 8am get a room in the Barn Units, not the Mill Building!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank-you for your excellent review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that the room and breakfast were all good!! Thank-you for pointing out the issue you faced with the water supply in the old Mill building. We will address this and ensure improvements are made to increase the flow at peak times.
Thank-you once again for you positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed here for a night (for work commitments) and thought this hotel was stunning although a little pricey for my pocket (due to it being a week before payday!)
Literally just off the A14 and about 10/15 mins away from the city centre and 5 mins away from Cambridge airport.

I ususally stay in a budget hotel chain when away and am normally happy with them (im easliy pleased) however this hotel was stunning. The bar service, the food was lovely, breakfast was very pleasing with a lot of choice such as continental and cooked breakfast. The staff were friendly and polite and happy to help.

My room was very clean and the bathroom was stunning - I cant priase this hotel enough! Unfortunatly, I didnt have time to use the facilities I was made aware of them when we checked in.

Thank You Quy Mill - Whenever Im back in Cambridge again, It will be yourselves I will be staying with!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank-you for such an excellent review. I am delighted to read such glowing comments and pleased we have a new customer who enjoyed the facilities on offer at Quy Mill. As you have mentioned, the ease of access is a huge selling point, just off the A14 and easy access to the city centre. Breakfast has recently been upgraded and we are delighted you enjoyed the range on offer.
Thank-you once again, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully the next time you will have some free time to sample our stunning Leisure and Spa facilities!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow Cum Quy
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge
Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!