Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stow Cum Quy
London, United Kingdom
“Very good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed for one night on 15th February. Staff could not be more helpful or friendly from reception through to the spa. Every staff member we passed said hello or good morning/afternoon. The room was spacious and had everything you need for a short break although it was in need of some TLC in places. The spa facilities were very good and was never too busy during the times we were there. The changing rooms were well maintained and clean which is a big tick in the box and the staff were always at hand to offer advice or answer any questions.

Overall the customer service is what leads the way at the Quy Mill and would of been 5 stars had the rooms had a spruce up. Would definitely stay again though when back in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review. I am delighted you found everything to be good and of particular note, the staff and their customer service. I appreciate your comments regarding the rooms, which we are currently undergoing a bedroom refurbishment which is due for completion later this year. Thank-you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Overnight 16th February, Room 203.

Tony Murdoch (General Manager) and Cath Knibbs (Reception Manager) promptly, pleasantly and very helpfully solved a minor issue and our visit represented the best of Quy Mill.

Polite and helpful staff, excellent overall presentation, and good food.

Dinner - Parsnip and apple veloute. Chicken and chorizo terrine with tomato and basil chutney. Poached salmon salmon mayo and salad. Blade of beef, mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables. Wild mushroom risotto. Taringi Sauvignon Blanc 2012. Champagne parfait with cinnamon poached pears. Very pleasantly presented.

Breakfast - Both continental and 'English' breakfasts were fresh and appealing. The 'full English' was excellent.

The spa facilities at Quy Mill are well presented and easily accessible.

Room 203 was spotless, modern and well equipped.

We can highly recommend Quy Mill. The staff were most helpful and thoughtful and the premises of a high standard.

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay so much and you found the staff and facilities to be excellent. We look forward to you returning for another enjoyable experience, thank-you.
Lincolnshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We booked this as a Valentines / half term treat after deciding we fancied visiting Cambridge as we hadn't been before. The hotel is well located adjacent to the A14 and only about 4 or 5 miles from the city centre and only a mile or so from the excellent park and ride facility.

The hotel is incorporated into an old converted watermill with the old waterwheel the main feature of the main hotel.

The hotel itself is split with the main building containing reception, bars and restaurants etc and also some rooms, the rest of the hotel is spread out in converted out buildings including the pool and spa facilities.

The room we were allocated was in the converted outbuildings. I gather the rooms in the main part of the hotel are more expensive and of a superior quality but didn't see any to confirm this.

Our room was OK if a little dark with only a small window and a small 'skylight' type window in the sloping ceiling. The bed was comfy but not huge. For the money we paid a Queen Size bed would have been better as would a bath to go with the shower. The shower lacked a shelf to put shampoo and gel on which is a rather obvious thing to miss if you can imagine washing your hair and then having to drop the shampoo bottle on the floor of the shower you will know what I mean!!

The room had all the amenities you would expect, TV, iron, ironing board, safe, tea, coffee etc and was clean enough apart from a few cobwebs high up around the light fittings.

We had a snack in the bar on the first afternoon which was excellent. We both had a sandwich with chips and a drink and can't fault the quality however the bar is a little lifeless and the staff tend to not be on hand as the bar connects to other areas.

Breakfast is served in the main part of the hotel and you have an excellent choice of cooked items as you would expect and also you can help yourself from the cold selection including cereals, toast, pastries, fruit, cold meats, cheeses, yoghurts and so on. The food was excellent and my only gripe is the amount of butter you are given. It comes in a little pot and was barely enough to butter a slice of toast and had to be replenished (which we did once each day) which put us off having more toast and croissants for fear of appearing greedy!

We had dinner in the bar too which again was excellent and only let down by the slow service which again appeared to be as a result of staff serving in multiple locations as there didn't seem to be a shortage of staff on any occasion.

As I alluded to earlier on the bars are a little lifeless and lack any atmosphere with 'muzak' piped in through speakers. There is a TV on the wall with no sound. Adjoining the bar is a larger area also with a bar that appeared to be a 'cocktail' bar. This space in my opinion is a wasted opportunity, it has comfy sofas and tables but there is absolutely nothing in there that would encourage you to stay and rest a while or read a book or paper in there. As I said only my opinion and not a real gripe.

All in all the hotel is OK and we would probably use it again due to the convenience for Cambridge. My partner and I both said the same in that the food apart we may as well have stayed in a Premier Inn for half the price as we didn't use the spa or pool and spent little time in the room due to going out all day and in the evenings.

Room Tip: For easy access rooms request main part of the hotel. Our room was up a flight of stairs with no lif...
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. You have highlighted many good features we have at Quy Mill in terms of food quality, range of food and service levels. As you say, we have a great location with easy access for guests to be out and about all day visiting the sites of Cambridge and then returning for a comfortable stay at Quy Mill. I am delighted you enjoyed our new breakfast concept, and with regards to the butter, this is an ample portion for two people and should anyone require more our staff are more than willing to oblige. We do find our guests like the ambience of our evening with relaxing music, dimmed lighting and candles and if there was something you wished to watch on the television, I am sure the staff would have turned the volume up had this been requested.
With regards, to the 'Premier Inn' this surely could be said of any Hotel if you choice not to use the by far superior facilities available at your chosen location?
Thank-you once again for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

The aim of our break was to relax and indulge and we certainly did both. We booked the one night spa break which included a treatment, breakfast and full use of the hotels facilities.
We were very pleased with our room, it was clean, warm and tidy and the added extras of the hot chocolate and biscuits were a lovely touch. Shortly after our arrival a very nice member of staff checked to see if everything was okay with our room and it certainly was.
Next up was our treatment in the spa, we opted for the mud serial chamber which was fantastic and left us wanting to crash out in the beautiful relaxation room afterwards, the staff were very attentive and helpful, even offering us one pound coins to borrow for the lockers while using the sauna/steam & pool, I was impressed.
I had booked dinner in the hotels restaurant, which had an intimate setting. Although I felt the food itself was a little overpriced, there was a set meal option which was more reasonable. I must say once again the staff were fantastic and the free appetiser courtesy of the Chef was delicious.
After a comfortable nights sleep it was time for breakfast and what a breakfast it was. Large variety of fruit, cereals, pastries and breads, with the choice of a full english on top. Plenty of tea flowing courtesy of the staff and the room we had been seated in had also been warmed up for us.
Overall we had a very pleasant stay and I would definitely return again for either an overnight stay or spa treatment when visiting Cambridge. Thank you.

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review. I am delighted you enjoyed your Valentine's Spa break and that you found the facilities and service excellent in all areas of the Hotel. I am particularly pleased to read that certain team members went over and above leaving you very impressed!! Also, it is pleasing to read your comments regarding the breakfast and its quality. Thank-you once again for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay at Quy Mill.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided to use this hotel to hold a small gathering after the funeral.
The choice was an excellent choice.
The hospitality, food and customer care helped make this sad occasion a memorable one. It was praised by all the people who attended.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Richard R
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. Your comments are very pleasing indeed, and I am delighted Quy Mill was able to help in its part to make this sad occasion a memorable one for you and all concerned. Thank-you once again.
Nerja, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights as we were guests at a wedding there. The hotel service and the standard of food for the wedding was very good, it's a pity the service and standard the rest of the stay didn't match. Our room was lovely, it was clean and comfortable and the ensuite looked lovely but it was not practical or well designed. There was a walk in shower but the only thing to hold onto while getting out of it is a red hot towel rail, the bathroom lighting was terrible, no good to put make up on. Breakfast the first day was passable apart from the sausages, everyone in the restaurant left them, my hubby returned his, all because everyone's were raw in the middle. When he received a replacement it was burnt to a crisp on the outside and still raw in the middle. Breakfast the second morning was meant to be a shared wedding breakfast but was spent asking for tea/coffee/jam...come on Quy, that's run of the mill for any hotel we shouldn't have to ask. I heard many other small gripes from other guest s, no morning papers that were ordered, no wake up calls that were requested, all little things but very basic standard stuff that any hotel should manage As Said at the beginning, the wedding and the service from the hotel during that was excellent, shame the rest of the time didn't get the same standard.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Wedding Guests,
Thank-you for your review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed every part of the wedding day from service to quality of food. We pride ourselves in the wedding offering in Quy Mill and are delighted we played a part in this very special occasion.
You have highlighted some points for our consideration which I am thankful for. Such feedback is a valuable way for us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary. I have addressed your comments with the relevant department heads to ensure such lapses in our offering do not occur again and that lessons are learnt to prevent this.
Thank-you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

What can I say? My family and I prefer to stay in small, individual family run/small group/boutique hotels for the personal touch and attention to detail. Yesterday I and my ten year old son had to make an unexpected visit to Cambridge and I went against my normal criteria and booked into this Best Western hotel. Apart from missing the hotel sign, as you literally pass it as you come off the A14, once I found it I was pleasantly surprised!! Firstly even though very close to the A14 I could not hear it once in the hotel. We were welcomed by a friendly reception. Initial impressions, relatively new refurbishment ( found out 4 years ago), tastefully done, open plan, welcoming. Our room was in the Old Mill (so cannot vouch for the barn rooms). Our room was smallish but tastefully decorated, comfy beds, bathroom lovely, tea making facilities, pleasant toiletries etc.We had a quick meal in the bar, staff very attentive and professional. We visited the Spa the following morning, staff friendly and efficient, pool lovely, sauna, hot tub etc, changing rooms pleasant and clean. We would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: I was glad that we were in the main hotel as the weather was awful so it was nice to be able to go u...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us at Quy Mill. It is always a pleasure to hear when people enjoy the facilities and the service we offer. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Quy Mill in the very near future for antother enjoyable stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow Cum Quy
Regent Hotel
#5 of 36 in Cambridge
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!