“Nice, if a bit out of the way...”

Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stow Cum Quy
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at the Quy Mill for 5 nights on a business trip.

The location is pleasant, at the edge of a large field, and adjoining a stream. The grounds are nice and the buildings seem well maintained. The hotel has a central building (reception, dining room, bar, etc.) and the guest rooms are spread over several buildings.

My room was clean, everything functioned properly, and the bathroom was pleasantly spacious and well lit. The decor is a bit old, but that does not particularly bother me. There is no safe in the room, but an iron and an ironing board are provided. There is a small flat-panel TV with good reception.

The room has a kettle, and is provided with complementary tea, coffee, milk (UHT), hot chocolate, biscuits, and bottled water, all replenished daily. I liked the shampoo and shower gel--they have a pleasant lemony scent. Nice fluffy towels and an effective heated towel rack.

Lacking in the room? Decent wireless coverage and additional glasses in the bathroom. They are aware of the wireless coverage problem and told me that it is being addressed. They gave me a booster-box for my laptop, but no solution for my other devices. Unfortunately cellular coverage is pretty bad too (not their fault, just a function of the location).

The bed was comfortable and I slept well. It was two twins with a catch to join them together. I'm not a thread-count expert, but to me the linen seemed good quality. There is a ceiling fan (not used), and a heater with a thermostat, but no air conditioning. This was perfectly fine at the beginning of March, but I'm not sure how it would be during a heat-wave. A fellow guest complained that his heater had no thermostat and he needed to open the window...

There is a "continental" breakfast buffet and cooked breakfast. I didn't order any cooked breakfast, but the continental breakfast was perfectly satisfying with good quality offerings, including healthy food.

The restaurant has a limited gourmet-style menu, but everything I ate was tasty. The pub menu is more conventional (hamburgers and chips), but also quite good.

The staff were all cheerful and helpful, especially the breakfast staff. The front desk staff were very efficient, and handled all my requests (mainly ordering taxis) promptly.

There is a heated swimming pool and a small gym. I didn't try the spa...

The hotel is located a bit far out of the city, so my taxi bills were pretty steep.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to families with young children, but it is good for everybody else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidB_972
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review!! I am pleased to read such comments regarding our rooms and facilities there-in. We are currently up-grading all our rooms and in that, the introduction of safes will happen in the very near future. We have identified Wi-Fi as an issue, and to the end, we have recently instructed a major up-grade programme which will resolve this issue. These works are due to be completed by the end of May, giving us a much faster and wider coverage which will encompass the full site at Quy Mill.
I am also pleased to read your comments regarding our recently up-graded breakfast offering and that all the staff treated you very efficiently and friendly! In terms of location, we are only 4 miles out of the city centre just off the A14, and taxi bills are much cheaper than the car-parking fees you have to pay in the city!! For future reference, we have a very good park 'n' ride a very short distance from the hotel which cuts taxi fayres drastically!!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We came here as a small group for a Hen weekend. We were delighted with all aspects of our stay; from the welcoming staff and excellent food; to the extremely good spa treatment we had.

Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review!! We are delighted you enjoyed your Hen weekend from start to finish with all our facilities on offer!
Hen Parties are very popular at Quy Mill and we are delighted you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing Leisure break in the very near future!!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The bane of every hotel guest is a wedding taking place to which you're not invited.

Such was the case when I stayed; but Oh what a difference. I had a 'phone call from reception within minutes of the disco starting promising to move me lock stock and barrel to a different room or at the very least to move to another room temporary for the night.

That's what I can service.

...and no I didn't take up the offer I'm a heavy sleeper and the noise didn't put off at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent comments regarding the first class customer service you experienced at Quy Mill. I am delighted my to hear my team were proactive in ensuring you had an enjoyable stay and such pre-empted any possible disturbance to your night. Thank-you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed here one Sunday as I had a business meeting in Cambridge early the next day. it really is a super hotel. Great links to A14, but still quiet with nice grounds surrounding it. We had a spacious and beautiful room. So comfortable. Breakfasts are fab, unless you are on a diet! Could have stayed all week instead of just overnight. Will definitely return for longer. Good access to Cambridge and a really nice NT property, Anglesey Abbey is nearby, where the colourful winter garden is a rare treat in the dreary wintertime. I only rated the spa as average as I didn't have the time to take advantage of it, so could not really judge it. The pool was lovely though. Very good value for money, although we did take advantage of a special deal.

Room Tip: We stayed in the recently refurbished, single storey building rather than the main hotel and would r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit, and like you say, we are ideally located for Anglesey Abbey, the A14 and Cambridge! Perfectly situated for business and pleasure. Thank-you once again, and please do stay for longer net time, with so much to do in a very close proximity to the Hotel!!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is my second visit to the restaurant and again the food was outstanding. The first time I visited the service was terrible, but today it was the complete opposite. The staff were attentive, polite and couldn't do enough to help, and the food was outstanding with plenty to eat.
It's quite hard to find a decent sunday lunch in and around Cambridge but I couldn't recommend this enough. Will defiantly be visiting again soon!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review on our fantastic Sunday Lunch offering. I am pleased that we have changed you original opinion of Sunday Lunch in our award winning Mill House Restaurant and that you have seen the difference in service and offering. We all look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable visit to Cambridge Quy Mill Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Me and my girlfriend have stayed here numerous times. Very nice hotel with polite staff. Nice modern rooms. Spa was very nice, and the breakfast is the best part. Would definitely recommend staying here. Location is great, easy to get into the center of Cambridge and easy access to the motorway.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review, I am delighted you enjoy your stay over and over again!! As you have said, the Leisure facilities and rooms are of excellent quality. Of particular not are your very positive comments regarding the staff and breakfast!! We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The hotel is wonderfully located. Rooms are dark and dated, but manage to be comfortable. Bed and bath were fine. Staff welcoming and kind. Breakfast ends on the dot so get there in time. Cambridge is spectacular.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony to be able to sit outside without the crowds.
Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. Our location is ideal for visiting Cambridge with easy access routes in and out of the city. We are currently refurbishing our bedrooms to enhance our already excellent bed stock whilst maintaining a lot of the original features. Thank-you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow Cum Quy
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 37 in Cambridge
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!