“Wonderful hotel, spa and facilities, AWFUL service”

Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stow Cum Quy
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel, spa and facilities, AWFUL service”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel itself is lovely. The grounds are beautiful and the spa and rooms were well furnished and had all the amenities that would be expected. Food itself was also good.

Our stay was hugely let down by the, quite frankly, atrocious customer service. From the woman at the spa desk who scolded us like children for being late (despite being over an hour early before the first treatment!) and who took over an hour to bring our sandwich orders (and having got this wrong, despite my attempts to clarify why there was such a delay, was unable to apologise).

The breakfast service was indeed a shambles (cf previous guest's comments). Bizarrely the waiter took half the table's orders and left. When we next saw him he was serving another table! On getting his attention and signalling him over, he took the second half of the table's orders (the first half was already tucking into their food). By the time the second half of us received our food we had been waiting over an hour and the first half had long since finished their meal!! The other table he was focused on had also finished theirs! On inquiring for an explanation, we were told that vegetarian sausages took longer to cook (the irony!) which is not acceptable as not all of the second orders were even vegetarian! Again no apology. Struggled to get any staff attention for more tea/coffee and rather thoughtlessly, when staff brought more tea and coffee, we had to ask again for milk.

Would not stay here again. Service really does cost nothing and whilst a lack of attention and promptness is one thing, the rudeness I personally experienced by the lady on the spa desk is another matter.

I have raised my concerns with the general manager Tony Murdoch and invited him to call me to discuss the issues, but he has not managed to do this.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Firstly may I draw your attention to the inaccuracy of your final comments. You emailed me directly on Sunday, to which I replied some 15 minutes later. I then sent a further email on Tuesday to inform you I was discussing this with the management of the Spa in the afternoon and would call you directly after this, which I duly did and we were able to discuss your comments at some length and to which you thanked me for the call.
Therefore, I must completely disregard your comments in relation to this.
I would also like to thank-you for your great comments on the hotel and its facilities and am glad on the whole that the hotel exceeded your expectations.
As discussed, I have discussed your comments regarding the spa with the management team and can assure you that action has been taken to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept our sincere apologies for this isolated incident. In regards to breakfast, again my sincere apologies for this shortcoming in service. I do believe, my colleague was waiting for some to your party to order, and as he was very busy with a full hotel for breakfast, he advised he would take the first half of your parties order to the kitchen, while the remaining half decided what they would like. On his way straight back, he brought breakfast out to two people on the adjacent table and immediately returned to take the remaining order from your party once the had decided. Please accept my sincere apologies for any confusion this may have caused.
Thank-you for your feedback, which helps us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary. I am delighted that on the whole, you commented that it is a 'wonderful hotel, spa and facilities' and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
walsall
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed for 4 nts in march we were lucky to get upgrade to lovely four poster room in main building which was very nice and spacious.The breakfast is very good(although the sausage over the time got more undercooked to the point i sent it back as it was raw in the centre)the dinner is overpriced for what you get to eat,eg 3slice sirloin and 3 thick chips with no veg for £24,but edible,the bar menu is better value,and filling though,staff are very pleasant and attentive though so enjoyable stay overall

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff looked after you well. We have addressed the sausage issue with our butcher, who has made a change to how it is packed. We found that the sausages were being packed too tightly therefore the heat as unable to penetrate the meat through to the centre. This has now been rectified with loosely packed sausages. I am glad to say this has resolved this situation, but please accept my apologies for this and thank-you for raising these comments. As you mention, we have 2 very different dining options, 1 being our fantastic 2 AA Rosette restaurant and the other being the less formal Celtic Bar & Lounge for people who would prefer a more homely menu whilst being in a hotel for several days. I have however passed out comments on to the Head Chef who will address these with his department.
Thank-you once again for your positive review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed in the hotel for 3 nights; rooms were OK and staff, on the whole were fine. The dining room was a shambles. Night one: 2hrs 45 for a meal, second night: 1 hr 40 minutes to get one course: third night asked how long it would be to receive a bar meal and was told 45 minutes .... maybe. I eat out. On all occasions, no explanation, just the way it was.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your comments. I am pleased to read you found the room and staff good. I am however, somewhat surprised that you believe the timings to be such as you have said. There appears to be some exaggeration of timings and certainly from our point of view, no-one brought such 'delays' to the attention of any management throughout your stay.
With this being said, we will certainly monitor the situation to ensure improvements are made as necessary.
Elsewhere
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay at this Hotel for Business.
Just checked in and it's better than I remember from a few years ago.
Service is pleasantly attentive for a Sunday night. Just ordered some food - so will let you know what it's like.
Food is delicious but could of done with a side dish of veg to accompany the main meal.
Seem to be quite a few flies in the bar area - but then we've just had hottest day of the year so far @ 20c and the doors are open.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. I am delighted to read its better than you remember!! We have invested heavily in the product over recent years to up-grade and enhance the facilities on offer, coupled with a clear focus on customer care, so am pleased to hear your comments. Thank-you for your comments on the food, these have been passed to Chef. Thank-you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. A great relaxing place to stay just outside of Cambridge and you don't feel close to the city although you are!! The rooms were lovely and spacious, impeccably clean and modern.
The staff were fantastic, couldn't do more for us. Very friendly, polite and proffessional. Would highly reccommend the hotel just for the staff...
The spa was nice, great place to chill and relax.
Food is lovely although a tad pricey.
All in all I would definately stay there again.
Many thanks to the staff for making our stay so enjoyable!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review!! It is very pleasing to read such positive comments in relation to the staff and the fact that they made your stay so enjoyable!! I am pleased to pass these comments on with pride to all the team at Quy Mill. Thank-you once again, and we all look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable visit!!
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed here for 1 night with my mother when we had a groupon deal to use the spa and have afternoon tea at this hotel. We had a lovely relaxing time at this hotel.The hotel is very nicely situated near main roads so it is easy to access if you are driving but is far enough away from the road for it to be nice and quiet. It is a bit of distance from the nearest train station. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was very nice...espicially the afternoon tea. I would definitely stay here again. The spa was very nice. The staff and therapists were very good and put you at ease straight away. The treatments are definitely worth the money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JoBellamy
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review. I am delighted to read such a positive review on our facilities and staff!! We very much look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing and enjoyable visit in the very near future.
Fakenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here in February and found it a very nice place to stay. We were in Room 35. I did forget to check if our original room had a bath and when we found it hadn't, the staff were very quick to move us (My partner loves her "soak in bath time". The room was fantastic, very clean and we had endless supply of tea and coffee to make which was brought to our room via a simple call to Reception. We spent time in the Spa (included in price) which was soooo relaxing. We did eat in the Restaurant one night and the food was good, but maybe bit pricey for what it is! I did make the mistake of going room only and when we went to try breakfast one morning, to be honest, i did find it totally overpriced!!! A very nice Hotel though and my partner (love her to pieces) thought it was much better than the star rating it has!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review, and am delighted to read such positive comments. It is always nice to hear when someone has had such an enjoyable and relaxing time with us and had the opportunity to make use of all the superb facilities at Quy Mill. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for a repeat experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow Cum Quy
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#12 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!