Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stow Cum Quy
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Have stopped at many a Best W. Hotel in UK and US and found them excellent value.This one write it off from chicken coup accommodation to expensive and badly stocked bar.Extended waiting for a lunchtime meal. No staff , seemingly 1 waiter/barman perhaps a chef /receptionist as well.All patio tables uncleared .Noise from A14.would be better keeping chickens.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Having never stayed in a chicken coup myself, I am unable to comment. I can however, comment on the fantastic converted barns at Quy Mill, which have been recently refurbished to a very high standard, whilst maintaining the original wood features. Our rooms are fully equipped and furnished to a four star standard, all unique in terms of shape and size, complimented on by most of our guests.
From reading your review, it appears budget must be a key factor in your thoughts on a hotel 'excellent value' and 'expensive' are the words you used. Perhaps a budget brand, or purpose built block hotel is more suitable in the future.
Thank-you once again for your comments, and should you wish to return to an excellent country house hotel, close to the centre of Cambridge, you are more than welcome at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here with my partner for my daughters wedding last weekend.
After ringing up before to check my and my sisters and parents bookings for the one night we found that the prices we were quoted were not the same. We sorted it out over the phone so expected all to be fine on arrival. Not so ! when we booked in we had the same problem and we were told that the higher price was still applicable. After another 10 minutes we again were told our prices would be the lower price(we had booked months before) so off we went to enjoy my Daughters long awaited wedding meal.
The food was well cooked and plenty of it. My only concern was that it took so long to serve so as one table was finishing a course another table was just getting theirs. My elderly parents were last to be served..... a good 20 minutes after the top tables food.
During the evening disco we were told that 2 families had had their cars broken into and passports and money stolen. A member of staff informed me that this had happened only 3 months before......but still there was no car park security or cameras in place.
We slept well with my room being large and bed comfy.
Breakfast was buffet style and I found all the guests waiting in single file ready to get their breakfast. No baked beans or fried eggs or poached eggs The bacon ran out after 5 mins so we had to wait another 5 mins before it was replaced with fresh bacon. We were not happy!
at the end of the table we all had to wait yet again for our toast that plodded through the machine at a snails pace. So yet another wait in the line with our plate of food getting cold.
Next was what was called a sausage but was under cooked and vile!! I saw many sausages left on the plates when we left.
The last sting was met when we were again going to be charged the higher price at check out!!!
6 people were arguing at the desk and the receptionist had a face of thunder.
Great grounds but the breakfast was a fiasco and the rooms were very nice.....so all in all not bad but let down on some very important things.......SECURITY AND BREAKFAST.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter H

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for posting your review. You have mentioned some key factors which we can learn from to ensure there is no such repeat. In terms of the security, I can confirm we have security cameras in place, recordings of which were handed over to the police immediately after the event. The car park is fully lit with several lights, and regular security checks are completed throughout the day and night. The police have informed us there has been a campaign of car break-ins in the Cambridgeshire area recently, which is not helped by people leaving valuables in the car. Unfortunately, there were 3 cars broken into on the same evening, all of which, the owners had left valuables clearly visible on the seats thus enticing the culprits to avail of this opportunity handed to them on a plate! There are also several signs in the car park advising guests not to leave valuables (passports & money) in their car. Unfortunately, there are very few parking areas in the country that are safe is such items are left visible.
Please accept our apologies for any shortcomings in service you may have experienced during breakfast and rest assured action has been taken to ensure such lapses do not occur in the future.
Thank-you once again for your comments we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future for a more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms aren't that spacious but adequate. I loved the towels so fluffy! My husband was disappointed that all the ales were off as this was one of the reasons we chose here. The food although high end cost wise was very good. We enjoyed the spa and found the staff all around the hotel helpful and attentive at all times.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. We have many different shapes and sizes of rooms, some are bigger than others as you would expect from an old style traditional building such as this. I am delighted you enjoyed our award winning food and excellent staff, thank-you. Please accept our apologies for the ale issue, which I will investigate, thank-you for pointing this out. All our linen has been upgraded recently to high end quality stock which enforces our aim at quality in all areas of the business.
Thank-you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to Quy Mill.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Unfortunately, the hotel is no longer able to honour Groupon Vouchers for a Spa day with afternoon tea for two.

The current voucher is dated until April 17th. However, due to bookings already taken till the end of the month they are no longer accepting new bookings.

The hotel is asking individuals to contact Groupon for a refund.

I suggest next time(if there is a next time) the hotel do not other sell vouchers.

Very disappointing!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your comments.
We put a promotion on Groupon for sale in January. The last sale date was mid-January with a 3 month booking window and expiry date on the voucher of 31st March. There were many vouchers sold, and as people bought them they booked. However, there were some, like yourself you obviously didn't. To this extent, we extended the use by date by 2 weeks, allowing for people who had failed to book the opportunity to use the voucher. Again, some didn't, so again we extended to the end of April.
We have made two extensions to the end date, so I don't see how your failure to book when you bought the voucher is our fault or even 'disappointing'??
Like any offer in any retail or hospitality business, there are conditions clearly set in the terms & conditions of the offer, which the consumer accepts as soon as they make the purchase. If the consumer fails to avail of the offer t&c's, it is not the retailers fault, more the consumer.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel itself is lovely. The grounds are beautiful and the spa and rooms were well furnished and had all the amenities that would be expected. Food itself was also good.

Our stay was hugely let down by the, quite frankly, atrocious customer service. From the woman at the spa desk who scolded us like children for being late (despite being over an hour early before the first treatment!) and who took over an hour to bring our sandwich orders (and having got this wrong, despite my attempts to clarify why there was such a delay, was unable to apologise).

The breakfast service was indeed a shambles (cf previous guest's comments). Bizarrely the waiter took half the table's orders and left. When we next saw him he was serving another table! On getting his attention and signalling him over, he took the second half of the table's orders (the first half was already tucking into their food). By the time the second half of us received our food we had been waiting over an hour and the first half had long since finished their meal!! The other table he was focused on had also finished theirs! On inquiring for an explanation, we were told that vegetarian sausages took longer to cook (the irony!) which is not acceptable as not all of the second orders were even vegetarian! Again no apology. Struggled to get any staff attention for more tea/coffee and rather thoughtlessly, when staff brought more tea and coffee, we had to ask again for milk.

Would not stay here again. Service really does cost nothing and whilst a lack of attention and promptness is one thing, the rudeness I personally experienced by the lady on the spa desk is another matter.

I have raised my concerns with the general manager Tony Murdoch and invited him to call me to discuss the issues, but he has not managed to do this.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Firstly may I draw your attention to the inaccuracy of your final comments. You emailed me directly on Sunday, to which I replied some 15 minutes later. I then sent a further email on Tuesday to inform you I was discussing this with the management of the Spa in the afternoon and would call you directly after this, which I duly did and we were able to discuss your comments at some length and to which you thanked me for the call.
Therefore, I must completely disregard your comments in relation to this.
I would also like to thank-you for your great comments on the hotel and its facilities and am glad on the whole that the hotel exceeded your expectations.
As discussed, I have discussed your comments regarding the spa with the management team and can assure you that action has been taken to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept our sincere apologies for this isolated incident. In regards to breakfast, again my sincere apologies for this shortcoming in service. I do believe, my colleague was waiting for some to your party to order, and as he was very busy with a full hotel for breakfast, he advised he would take the first half of your parties order to the kitchen, while the remaining half decided what they would like. On his way straight back, he brought breakfast out to two people on the adjacent table and immediately returned to take the remaining order from your party once the had decided. Please accept my sincere apologies for any confusion this may have caused.
Thank-you for your feedback, which helps us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary. I am delighted that on the whole, you commented that it is a 'wonderful hotel, spa and facilities' and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed for 4 nts in march we were lucky to get upgrade to lovely four poster room in main building which was very nice and spacious.The breakfast is very good(although the sausage over the time got more undercooked to the point i sent it back as it was raw in the centre)the dinner is overpriced for what you get to eat,eg 3slice sirloin and 3 thick chips with no veg for £24,but edible,the bar menu is better value,and filling though,staff are very pleasant and attentive though so enjoyable stay overall

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff looked after you well. We have addressed the sausage issue with our butcher, who has made a change to how it is packed. We found that the sausages were being packed too tightly therefore the heat as unable to penetrate the meat through to the centre. This has now been rectified with loosely packed sausages. I am glad to say this has resolved this situation, but please accept my apologies for this and thank-you for raising these comments. As you mention, we have 2 very different dining options, 1 being our fantastic 2 AA Rosette restaurant and the other being the less formal Celtic Bar & Lounge for people who would prefer a more homely menu whilst being in a hotel for several days. I have however passed out comments on to the Head Chef who will address these with his department.
Thank-you once again for your positive review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow Cum Quy
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge
Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!