“Spa was lovely- Bitterly disappointed with rest of service!”

Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Polmont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My friend & I booked a special offer on last minute.com which was £109 each for Dinner, Bed, Breakfast & a 30min spa treatment.

I phoned up the week before to ensure we got a twin room & also to book some extra treatments.

On arrival we were told we didn't have dinner in our rate- which we did. Eventually this was sorted.

We were then checked into a Kingsize room- nice but didnt want to share a bed with my mate.
When we walked back down to reception there was no apology, just a huff & a puff rather than trying to sort the situation by moving us they wanted to find someone from house keeping to seperate the beds!!
I advised I had a spa treatment booked so wanted things to moved along quickly- we were sent to the bar to have a coffee. This took 15mins & by this point I was ready to go home!
Eventually checked into another room with 2 single beds pushed together.... Should just have stayed in the King.
The room was nice, but maybe a little dated.
We were meant to have robes etc to go to the spa but they were missing from room also.

Eventually got down to Spa & my full body hot stone massage was excellent. Only managed to get 10mins in the sauna due to all the hassle at check in etc.

Evening meal was lovely & we ate from the all inclusive menu on the room rate which had a good selection.
We ordered drinks before our starters- they arrived AFTER our mains... had to ask 3 times for them to be brought out.... very bad service & the restaurant was quiet as well so no excuse!!

We had been advised breakfast was till 1030am so we headed down just before 10am to an empty restaurant.
When we spoke to waitress she advised breakfast finished at 0930!
Seriously could not make this up.....
So no breakfast for us.

Checked out of our room before going for our last treatment to find extras on the bill that we didnt sign for.
Reception advised we had "over eaten" on our dinner allowance even though we ate from the all inclusive menu.
The restaurant manager had to be called & checked the menu etc. Turns out it was a mistake & we had not "over eaten" by this point we didnt even want to have another treatment we just wanted to leave.
Faulty towers springs to mind...

No one at the Macdonald Inchyra wants to take ownership for any problems that happen there. There is a clear lack of team work & leadership at this hotel which is bitterly disappointing.

This could be a great hotel with an amazing spa but in the truth of it all it was just a joke.

Last treatment was a mini facial & the beautician was lovely but we were in a room that had a faulty air conditioning unit & it buzzed very loudly & constantly. She apologised & said it had been reported numerous times. She went on to say that they also nick named the hotel "faulty towers" and they never wanted to spend any money on sorting problems etc.

As soon as the treatment was over we made a sharp exit.... Never to return!

As I explained earlier- this hotel needs someone to take charge of it. There is a clear lack of communication & leadership. The whole time we were there no one to action or ownership for any problems that occurred.

I will be writing a letter of complaint to the Macdonald hotel chain.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Alan M
BrettIngle, General Manager at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Alanmcvey82

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa, and secondly for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.

I understand that you have been in contact directly with the Hotel and our Customer Services department, we will shortly be in touch to discuss further your stay with us.

Kind Regards,

Brett Ingle

Write a ReviewReviews (1,723)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here in October 2013 and got a great b&b rate with £10 credit on the bill towards the restaurant or bar bill. We stayed in a standard room which stank of being freshly painted to the point that it gave me a headache. I immediately asked if we could change rooms and was told that the only other room available had been painted too, unless I wanted to pay either £40 or £70 for an upgrade! As we were only staying one night we just stayed in the room. The room was a standard double bed but was clean and comfortable. The ironing board was in need of replacement the shower was very powerful, hot and best of all positioned high enough for someone 6'3" :-) I was asked at check in if I would like to leave a card to charge for any extras at which point I declined and stated that I would pay cash. We were going out to friends nearby and so had a cocktail in the bar prior to leaving. The bar staff couldn't have been more attentive and the cocktails couldn't have been bettered in the Ritz - great job!! When we returned to the hotel at 1130pm we went for a nightcap and when we came to pay we were told that the drinks had to go on the room, we couldn't pay cash! I was duly frogmarched to reception to pay be card (only for the drinks) and was told that because I hadn't left a card charge on checkin that I couldn't have any more drinks that night!!! I couldn't believe it! I would have thought that the hotel would have been only too pleased to take my money!

Breakfast was SUPERB although when we can to pay the supplement of £2.50 for smoked salmon, we had the same problem in putting it on the bill so had to go back to the room for £2.50.

We really did have a good time but could have had a GREAT time had the hotel been more accommodating. We haven't been put off but it's a real shame that we felt a perfect night away was spoiled by some petty issues. Fix the small things Macdonald hotels!!!!!

Room Tip: If traveling in 2013 ask that the room doesn't smell of gloss paint or you will get a headache!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John M

Dear John M

Firstly, many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa.

I was please to read that you enjoyed the food offered in the Scottish Steak Club and the bar service you received earlier in the evening.

As mentioned in some of the later reviews, we are updating rooms on a schedule over the course of the next few months, taking one or two rooms at a time. Unfortunately, you were given a room that had just been finished. This shouldn’t have been the case, and under the circumstances I would have expected my reception team to have offered you a complimentary upgrade, rather than giving you this particular room. Please accept my apologies for this not being the case.

Rest assured I have discussed the issues raised with the relevant team members, as well as praised the ones mentioned in your positive comments.

Guest feedback is an invaluable tool to us, which we use to make continual improvements to the hotels quality and service we provide and we thank you again for taking the time to send yours.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel as it was very near to a football tournament that my son was playing in, the team was split between here and the nearby Premier Inn hotel. We stayed in a family room and the standard of the room was good to very good, the food was excellent but not the best selection for the kids. The general standard of the hotel was very good and I would stay again which is always a good sign.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Davie H

Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind and positive review.

The team here at the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa takes great pride in the service they provide and it’s encouraging to read that you appreciate all the hard work and dedication that they put in.

Thank you for adding your feedback to Tripadviser

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We were given a night dinner bed & breakfast as a wedding gift so we paid for a second night to try make it a mini honeymoon with us having to travel 3 hours to the hotel. It was not what I had hoped with it being 4 AA stars. it was a little tired and our Delux room was not very Delux, the rooms look fab on the website and I expected a little luxury but not at all. It was just an average room (was probably a little roomy compared to a normal double) with nothing to rave about. Spa treatments were pricey and nothing great, I've had better treatments in Aberdeen and much cheaper so wouldn't bother paying top dollar for a treatment there. Assistant manager working in bar/restaraunt was very helpfull and very attentive but but he was very busy attendig to everyone as his young staff wasn't as up to par as him but were friendly. Breakfast was nice but a little like faulty towers waiting for food and no toast with breakfast as we asked for it to come with our food instead of when we sat down as it was being served, think it confused them. dinner was very very good on the Saturday night and we rushed back for a repeat on Sunday but unfortunatly must have been a differant chef as it wasn't the same, it was good but not as good as Sat night. Cosmo cocktails were lovely and I had a few the house red was good also. When leaving thefre seemed to be alot of confusion at front desk as people were questioing the bills, came to ours and it was all wrong, we were being charged for everything a second time! but once explanined it was resolved quickly and we weren't charge again. Just very disapointed it wasn't as nice as I'd expected so didn't get to dress up as expected over the weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We were staying for a friends wedding.
The staff were very friendly and attentive. Kindly recommended a good spanish place in falkirk and a great bar (behind the wall)
However the hotel itself is a wee bit tired and dated in places....the carpets in particular and the lift was in a very shoddy state. The room was a good enough size and quite traditional, a little mould behind the shower (room 359) that I thought again with the price, should be sorted.

We paid £100 a night which was with a discount and i feel it was slightly over-priced. THis is made worse by the fact the bar prices were over the top, i am from edinburgh so used to a big price tag but given the surroundings,....i think they are chancing their arm a little. Also, we paid for bed and breakfast and were then greeted with "supplements required" for smoked salmon and kippers! Bit of a joke

The wedding venue (menteith suite) was lovely however and again, the staff were all lovely. The wedding food was some of the best I have ever had too.

Overall I think this hotel needs some serious TLC to convince me its worth a stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Check in was Ok. Room was looking a little tired. No mobile reception and no WiFi signal in room. If I did get a signal, I would have had to pay for it .... come on guys, it's not that much to add as a free extra?? Meal in restaurant was good but so over priced .... even the specials (think in the region of £30+ for a three course meal and drink). Breakfast was very good, check out, easy. But I won't be staying here again as its not good value

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We were attending a joint celebration of a 50th and 25th wedding anniversary in the evening and needed some nearby accommodation, somewhere where we could also have dinner and breakfast
Inchyra ticked all the boxes
we booked with friends and arrived early Saturday afternoon, after a couple of drinks in the sun the girls decided to go for their spa treatments and "the boys" went off for an afternoon of geocaching.
On our return we all met back up again and had another couple of drinks in the afternoon sun

We had booked a table for an early dinner before our night out and made our way to our rooms to get ready for the ceilidh that evening

We met in the restaurant and were welcomed warmly and shown to our table,
We enjoyed a mixed platter to share and had the most tasty and perfectly cooked steaks !!!
The girls steaks were mixed up, we got the attention of the restaurant manager and the situation was resolved perfectly... as we had no time to order more steaks, and the girls were happy to eat the steaks they had and just felt the restaurant should know they had made a mistake.... The manager quickly said he would take the price of the Prosecco off the bill.

We left perfectly satisfied and enjoyed our ceilidh

We had booked a late checkout, and decided we would meet at 10 for breakfast. Breakfast was perfect plenty coffee and a very tasty cooked meal

After enjoying the pool and saunas etc for a few hours we all agreed that we were extremely chilled out and what a perfect idea it was to come here

We had a late lunch, again the food was perfect and excellent value ....I have never tasted roast beef so good

We checked out of our rooms and bid our farewells to our friends

Our whole stay was perfect, the staff in all areas of the hotel were attentive and most courteous, the accommodation (a little bit dated) was clean and just what we needed, the spa facilities again perfect and the restaurant again 10 out of 10

Highly recommend and we would most certainly come back

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polmont
5 mi away
Helix Hotel
#3 of 4 in Grangemouth
Travelodge Falkirk Hotel
Premier Inn Falkirk North Hotel

Been to Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!