“Birthday Weekend”

Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Polmont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 October 2013

First time at the Inchyra Hotel & Spa on a dinner bed and breakfast package and on first appearances it looks very inviting having had a refurbishment to main areas and some bedrooms .Reception staff on the ball and quickly had the room keys in my hand we were given an upgraded room and was suitably impressed booked time for dinner and retired to room to rest and clean up after a long journey .A very nice bar and restaurant setting and excellent young staff who mostly seemed to be under twenty but were very efficient and impeccably trained at waiting tables and bar service a very beautiful meal and lovely red wine set the mood for a beautiful evening first class .Breakfast the next morning was in the same setting and again very efficient buffet layout for juices ,cereals, fruits etc teas coffee and full cooked breakfast all served by excellent young staff a credit to the Hotel .Spent a lovely day out in the Falkirk area at the Falkirk Wheel with family on the boat lift and short trip lunch out and a bit of shopping .Again dinner for slightly later time again first class service good menu selection mussels and t/bone steaks what`s not to like very nice house red and a very relaxing evening ,next morning breakfast packing and settling my bill all done with the minimum of fuss left the Inchyra to do a bit more sight seeing and travel home my thanks to the Hotel and Staff for a wonderful week-end break i will recommend this hotel most heartily .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
BrettIngle, General Manager at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Haggs2013

Thank you for giving very positive comments on your recent stay here at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa. I will certainly be passing on your comments to the team, as I do with all of the Trip advisor reviews.

It was a pleasure to read your kind comments, and it was great to see that you enjoyed the Falikrk Wheel one of the many local attractions within easy reach of the hotel.

Once again thank you for taking the time to inform us of your views on this lovely hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future should you be visiting the area again and I will ensure that we enhance your stay in some way.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and i booked this hotel as part of a weekend break in Scotland.......lovely hotel, lovely decor, excellent spa facilities and great value for money........the surroundings, spa and breakfast were all really good, the housekeeping staff were friendly, if i was to visit the area again i would defo stay here again..........

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shahid N

Dear Shahid N

Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind and positive review. The team here at the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa takes great pride in the service they provide and it’s encouraging to read that you appreciate all the hard work and dedication that they put in.

The Vital leisure and Spa since the £2million investment have proved to be very popular with our guests, and members alike.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure we enhance your next stay with us in some way.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Inchyra was almost everything we expected from a MacDonald hotel. The surroundings, spa and restaurant were all really good.
The room was a little dated and in need of a little TLC but it was clean and housekeeping were helpful when we needed an extra robe.
The food and waiting staff were excellent, both a really high standard.
However, when we went to check out the relaxed mood evaporated. We had been charged for another guests food and drink, and we had already paid for our stay in full prior to arrival but the receptionist was unable to operate the computer system and we were made to feel as if we were trying to leave without paying. The receptionists were not helpful and it took over half a hour to finally prove that we had paid in full through central reservations.Meantime other guests came and went and could over hear the receptionists manner with us. Very embarrassing.
McDonald's have offered us a complementary spa voucher to apologise, however I would have preferred to have been able to check out still feeling refreshed and relaxed. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Kazjams

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa and for bringing the issues you experienced to our attention.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, however on check out it would appear that we have fallen short of our normally very high standards of service and customer care on this occasion. I can only apologise for the unfortunate errors on your bill at check out. This will be addressed thoroughly by front of house management team, and further training given if needed.

You may be pleased to note that we are currently painting and decorating all of the bedrooms on a continual maintenance programme, as part of our continued dedication to quality and service in all areas of the hotel.

Guest feedback is invaluable to us, and I thank you again for taking the time to send yours.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My friend & I booked a special offer on last minute.com which was £109 each for Dinner, Bed, Breakfast & a 30min spa treatment.

I phoned up the week before to ensure we got a twin room & also to book some extra treatments.

On arrival we were told we didn't have dinner in our rate- which we did. Eventually this was sorted.

We were then checked into a Kingsize room- nice but didnt want to share a bed with my mate.
When we walked back down to reception there was no apology, just a huff & a puff rather than trying to sort the situation by moving us they wanted to find someone from house keeping to seperate the beds!!
I advised I had a spa treatment booked so wanted things to moved along quickly- we were sent to the bar to have a coffee. This took 15mins & by this point I was ready to go home!
Eventually checked into another room with 2 single beds pushed together.... Should just have stayed in the King.
The room was nice, but maybe a little dated.
We were meant to have robes etc to go to the spa but they were missing from room also.

Eventually got down to Spa & my full body hot stone massage was excellent. Only managed to get 10mins in the sauna due to all the hassle at check in etc.

Evening meal was lovely & we ate from the all inclusive menu on the room rate which had a good selection.
We ordered drinks before our starters- they arrived AFTER our mains... had to ask 3 times for them to be brought out.... very bad service & the restaurant was quiet as well so no excuse!!

We had been advised breakfast was till 1030am so we headed down just before 10am to an empty restaurant.
When we spoke to waitress she advised breakfast finished at 0930!
Seriously could not make this up.....
So no breakfast for us.

Checked out of our room before going for our last treatment to find extras on the bill that we didnt sign for.
Reception advised we had "over eaten" on our dinner allowance even though we ate from the all inclusive menu.
The restaurant manager had to be called & checked the menu etc. Turns out it was a mistake & we had not "over eaten" by this point we didnt even want to have another treatment we just wanted to leave.
Faulty towers springs to mind...

No one at the Macdonald Inchyra wants to take ownership for any problems that happen there. There is a clear lack of team work & leadership at this hotel which is bitterly disappointing.

This could be a great hotel with an amazing spa but in the truth of it all it was just a joke.

Last treatment was a mini facial & the beautician was lovely but we were in a room that had a faulty air conditioning unit & it buzzed very loudly & constantly. She apologised & said it had been reported numerous times. She went on to say that they also nick named the hotel "faulty towers" and they never wanted to spend any money on sorting problems etc.

As soon as the treatment was over we made a sharp exit.... Never to return!

As I explained earlier- this hotel needs someone to take charge of it. There is a clear lack of communication & leadership. The whole time we were there no one to action or ownership for any problems that occurred.

I will be writing a letter of complaint to the Macdonald hotel chain.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Alan M

Dear Alanmcvey82

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa, and secondly for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.

I understand that you have been in contact directly with the Hotel and our Customer Services department, we will shortly be in touch to discuss further your stay with us.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here in October 2013 and got a great b&b rate with £10 credit on the bill towards the restaurant or bar bill. We stayed in a standard room which stank of being freshly painted to the point that it gave me a headache. I immediately asked if we could change rooms and was told that the only other room available had been painted too, unless I wanted to pay either £40 or £70 for an upgrade! As we were only staying one night we just stayed in the room. The room was a standard double bed but was clean and comfortable. The ironing board was in need of replacement the shower was very powerful, hot and best of all positioned high enough for someone 6'3" :-) I was asked at check in if I would like to leave a card to charge for any extras at which point I declined and stated that I would pay cash. We were going out to friends nearby and so had a cocktail in the bar prior to leaving. The bar staff couldn't have been more attentive and the cocktails couldn't have been bettered in the Ritz - great job!! When we returned to the hotel at 1130pm we went for a nightcap and when we came to pay we were told that the drinks had to go on the room, we couldn't pay cash! I was duly frogmarched to reception to pay be card (only for the drinks) and was told that because I hadn't left a card charge on checkin that I couldn't have any more drinks that night!!! I couldn't believe it! I would have thought that the hotel would have been only too pleased to take my money!

Breakfast was SUPERB although when we can to pay the supplement of £2.50 for smoked salmon, we had the same problem in putting it on the bill so had to go back to the room for £2.50.

We really did have a good time but could have had a GREAT time had the hotel been more accommodating. We haven't been put off but it's a real shame that we felt a perfect night away was spoiled by some petty issues. Fix the small things Macdonald hotels!!!!!

Room Tip: If traveling in 2013 ask that the room doesn't smell of gloss paint or you will get a headache!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John M

Dear John M

Firstly, many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa.

I was please to read that you enjoyed the food offered in the Scottish Steak Club and the bar service you received earlier in the evening.

As mentioned in some of the later reviews, we are updating rooms on a schedule over the course of the next few months, taking one or two rooms at a time. Unfortunately, you were given a room that had just been finished. This shouldn’t have been the case, and under the circumstances I would have expected my reception team to have offered you a complimentary upgrade, rather than giving you this particular room. Please accept my apologies for this not being the case.

Rest assured I have discussed the issues raised with the relevant team members, as well as praised the ones mentioned in your positive comments.

Guest feedback is an invaluable tool to us, which we use to make continual improvements to the hotels quality and service we provide and we thank you again for taking the time to send yours.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel as it was very near to a football tournament that my son was playing in, the team was split between here and the nearby Premier Inn hotel. We stayed in a family room and the standard of the room was good to very good, the food was excellent but not the best selection for the kids. The general standard of the hotel was very good and I would stay again which is always a good sign.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Davie H

Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind and positive review.

Thank you for adding your feedback to Tripadviser

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We were given a night dinner bed & breakfast as a wedding gift so we paid for a second night to try make it a mini honeymoon with us having to travel 3 hours to the hotel. It was not what I had hoped with it being 4 AA stars. it was a little tired and our Delux room was not very Delux, the rooms look fab on the website and I expected a little luxury but not at all. It was just an average room (was probably a little roomy compared to a normal double) with nothing to rave about. Spa treatments were pricey and nothing great, I've had better treatments in Aberdeen and much cheaper so wouldn't bother paying top dollar for a treatment there. Assistant manager working in bar/restaraunt was very helpfull and very attentive but but he was very busy attendig to everyone as his young staff wasn't as up to par as him but were friendly. Breakfast was nice but a little like faulty towers waiting for food and no toast with breakfast as we asked for it to come with our food instead of when we sat down as it was being served, think it confused them. dinner was very very good on the Saturday night and we rushed back for a repeat on Sunday but unfortunatly must have been a differant chef as it wasn't the same, it was good but not as good as Sat night. Cosmo cocktails were lovely and I had a few the house red was good also. When leaving thefre seemed to be alot of confusion at front desk as people were questioing the bills, came to ours and it was all wrong, we were being charged for everything a second time! but once explanined it was resolved quickly and we weren't charge again. Just very disapointed it wasn't as nice as I'd expected so didn't get to dress up as expected over the weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polmont
Airth Castle & Hotel
Best Western Park Hotel
Leapark Hotel
Leapark Hotel
#3 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!