“Overpriced for standard of hotel”

Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Polmont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kelso, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for standard of hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

On a positive the staff were all wonderful.

The rooms were very hot and no fans were available. The mould in the bathroom was awful and really put you of going in to the bathroom. The batteries were missing from the safe door and we only had one bath towel. Very poor for £ 124 per night.

Breakfast was okay and dinner was try good but expensive.

Would not stay again although the Pool and Spa were very good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BrettIngle, General Manager at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and for your kind words on how positive and wonderful you thought our team had been. I will be sure to pass this on your comments to them.

I was however concerned to read about the mould in the bathroom, and of the batteries being missing from the safe,

We review all our feed back as a team, and rest assured the issues raised will be dealt with by my maintenance team.

Feedback from our guests is important to us, it gives us the opportunity to review our service delivery as well as highlight any training needs to our management team and team members.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, in the meantime if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.inchyra@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards,
General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

A friend was getting married so we booked a room. Room 123. It was terrible could hardly move around as there was no space around the bed and the bathroom was tiny. The decor was horrendous and the room stank of cigarettes ironed my dress in the morning and the ozone board was filthy and ended up marking my dress!!!! Absolutely disgusting! not worth the £100!!!! You pay £60 and get an amazing Hotel in the Centre of Glasgow just can't believe they are charging this amount for a stinky dingy room. If it werent for the wedding we would defo not have wasted the money.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jenna P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and for choosing to stay here for your friends wedding. I do hope you all had a great time at the wedding.

I was concerned to read that the room smelt of cigarette smoke, this is a non-smoking hotel, and therefore guests should only be smoking in the designated areas. We were full over the weekend of the wedding and were unable to therefore keep the room off for the additional time to air the smoke smell.

I would be more than happy to discuss the other issues encountered if you could contact me directly on the following email address and I will be in touch shortly.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

My email gm.inchyra@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards,
Brett Ingle,

Travellers are raving about these Polmont hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked an "Executive family room" at the hotel but on arrival was given a double room and not the executive family room which I had booked. I called reception to be told that a pop up bed would be made up in the room. The furniture had then to be re-arranged to accommodate the bed which meant that the seating area became useless. I had not booked a double room with pop up bed - I had booked (and paid for) a family room.

I booked a table for 8pm for dinner - the table was ready but the service was appalling. We waited for 20 minutes for an order to be taken. Then a further 30 minutes for the food to arrive. As the food arrived the fire alarm went off (not the fault of the hotel) however I did find it disgusting that whilst the guests stood in the rain the staff thought it appropriate to huddle together and have a good old laugh about it. I suggest they should have been checking that all guests were OK and trying to make this unfortunate incident as acceptable as possible.

On returning to our table I ordered a couple of glasses of wine to have with our meal - the wine arrived 10 minutes after our meal was finished and the plates cleared away!

The above combined was the disgusting smell around the edge of the pool - I assume coming from the filters - made our stay very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor as well as contacting me directly at the hotel.

As mentioned I have now spoken with and forwarded on your comments to my managers. We have also contacted the booking agent you used to book your room and requested that they update our details in order to highlight to guests the need to inform the hotel directly when extra beds are required, alternatively rooms can be booked directly with us online.

Please be assured this is not our normal standard of service here at the hotel, normally our guests enjoy a first class standard of service and customer care at all times. My team are also at hand to deal with any issues and correct these during a guest visit to the hotel.

Once again thank you for posting your review, and as discussed I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Inchyra in the near future. In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like any further assistance.

Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The room was of a poor standard, noisy and the bathroom bath plug hole was blocked also the wall tile grouting and shower screen was heavily stained with mould. A large hole in the bathroom door has just been painted over.
No Wi Fi.
The restaurant advertises as being in the Scottish steak club, our steaks were on the wrong plates (a very minor thing) the pepper sauce was very thin like a packet sauce watered down too much and the steaks were way too fatty. Even with an empty restaurant it took 35 minutes for the starter to arrive £73 for very little. Very disappointed .

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay here at the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa, and for highlighting the issues you encountered.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the maintenance and cleanliness issues that you had with your room, rest assured that this is not the normal standard and I have discussed this with the team members involved.

We do have free wifi through out the hotel, I am sorry on this occasion you were not able to connect, I have had this checked out, and it is working. If any of our guests experience the wifi not working we would advise them to contact reception so that they can contact “the Cloud” to assist in connecting to their service.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with your meal in our rosette awarded Scottish Steak Club, We are passionate about great food service and value, True to our Scottish heritage the beef we serve comes from fully accredited Scottish farmers and supplied to us by scot beef, suppliers to the highest quality retailers in the country, the beef is traditionally aged for a minimum of 21 days on the bone and hand cut by highly skilled butchers using time honoured techniques delivering the perfect Scottish Steak Club experience. All of the sauces are hand made, normally our guests enjoy our Scottish Steak Club experience, I am sorry on this occasion that doesn’t seem to have been the case.

Once again thank you for your review, if you would like anymore information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My fiancé and I decided to go on a spa break for my birthday this year and we got a great deal for the Inchyra. Included in our package was a 30 minute massage and £50 towards dinner. We arrived around 2pm and checked into our room. The rooms could maybe be updated but were spacious, clean and had everything you needed. The hotel were aware that it was my birthday and had left me a card and bottle of wine which was an excellent touch. It was so thoughtful. We then went down to the spa. The facilities are great. The pool is a great size and we loved the steam room and sauna. The only thing I would say was that the shower's cold function wasn't working but I cooled off in the pool anyway. Our massage was at 4pm and we were led into the spa waiting rooms. This was beautifully decorated and very relaxing. The massage itself was great. It was my first one and the masseuse was very informative and made me feel at ease. After this we went back to the pool then up to the room to get ready for dinner in the steak house. The meal was easily the best steak I've ever had. I would recommend the rib eye! The starter (potted pork) was okay but I should have gone straight for the main and had a bigger desert. The desert shots are amazing!! I could only manage one but they were fabulous. Because of the £50 allowance we only had to pay £20 extra! Well worth it. There was a wedding on that night so I was woken up by guests going to their room but it was only once so it wasn't too bad. The only thing I would say was that the room was a bit warm but it didn't affect us too much. Breakfast in the morning was great. The cooked breakfast was lovely and the continental buffet was to die for. We left feeling nice and full. All in all we had a great stay and the staff couldn't be more helpful.

Room Tip: I wouldn't go for the bottom floor as you need to walk last these to get to the other rooms. We...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank caley186534
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review, and for choosing to have your birthday treat here at the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa,

On behalf of everyone here at the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa I would like to thank you for your very kind review, it is encouraging to read your positive comments on both the food and the staff.

We are passionate about the high levels of service we deliver and our continued approach to offering the finest ingredients in our menus.

It is down to the dedication and commitment of all the team members to ensure that we deliver excellent guest service at all times.

If you are planning to visit the Macdonald Inchyra in the near future please do not hesitate to contact myself if you would like any further assistance at gm.inchyra@macdonald-hotels.co.uk. I would also like to take the opportunity to enhance you next stay in some way.

Brett ingle
Shepley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Not really a picturesque location after all it is Grangemouth! At least most is screened out! A hot day in Scotland meant the room was quite stifling but if that's all to worry about then can you complain. The areas out with the reception area do need an overhaul including the bedrooms. The food was not exceptional but at £15 for three small pieces of chicken and a portion of chips you'd need a climbing axe for meant it was an expensive portion of chips! The chicken lacked any real flavour but then the was the dipping sauce, insipid as was the accompanying coleslaw. Next time if I visit I'll check out the local restaurants for a meal, if there are any worth visiting.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We, as a team, take great pride in our standards of customer service and the presentation of the hotel and its beautiful grounds.

Front of house restaurant, reception, leisure and spa, areas all had a massive refurbishment 3 years ago, the maintenance team endeavour daily to exceed out guest expectations. You have mentioned that it was warm in the hotel, Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning, however, it is very rare for us to have such hot weather.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your meal, I will discuss this with our chef. We are passionate about great food, service and value. Simple food cooked to perfection by our talented chefs, we are proud to say we have been awarded AA rosette for excellence.

Feedback from our guests provides an invaluable tool and one with which we are able to constantly make improvements and changes where necessary and give praise where deserved.

Once again thank you for your review, and I hope you do have the opportunity to visit the hotel again in the future. If you would like to discuss further then please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.inchyra@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

speyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Money has been spent on the lobby and spa! However as stated by others the corridors and room doors are shabby!The classic doubles are tiny!! Beware!! We heard guests complaining at checkout!! If you can afford take the larger executive room which has sort of been refurbished despite the mould in the bathroom! No views to speak of....nothing exciting at all.
The pool is nice as is the steam room. The ice machine did not work and the sauna was Luke warm!
Despite the great ads about refurbishment....my goodness previously it must have been dreadful...it isn't enough!
Food was good though and staff were friendly so it was not a disaster.
Nice tennis courts. So if you would like a nice break without great to expectations in not a great location then this hotel is fine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, please accept my apologies on behalf of the team for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.
I sincerely apologies for the mould in the bathroom, this has been highlighted and will be dealt with by our maintenance team.

Whenever we have a piece of equipment failing we contact our manufacturers immediately to arrange the repairs to take place. As I am sure you can appreciate this takes a little time, dependant on the issue, and as we are open 365 days a year we do have occasions were pieces of equipment will be unavailable.

We as a hotel group are continually inveting in our hotels, over £4 million has been spent on improving the facilities at the Macdonald Inchyra in the last couple of years. We will of course continue to improve the rest of the facilities moving forward.

I was delighted to read your positive comment on the food, friendly staff, and the tennis courts.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review, if you have the opportunity to visit the hotel in the future please contact myself gm.inchyra@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Kind regards
Brett Ingle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polmont
Airth Castle & Hotel
Premier Inn Falkirk East Hotel
Leapark Hotel
Leapark Hotel
#3 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!