“Very pleasant stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caersws
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

A lovely little place, and we really enjoyed our stay. A little bit out of the way, but perhaps that adds to the charm. We had a nice little room, with some amazingly beautiful views. The only thing I could fault was the price of the food/ drink.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clare B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Alderney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

In May 2013 me and my husband got married here and had our wedding reception here afterwards. Our day was just perfect with the sun shining, beautiful rooms & surroundings and excellent staff, especially Lee who is just amazing. From the planning all the way through to the big day nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and we had lots of lovely comments from our guests about the quality and quantity of the food! The surroundings are just exceptional! Again, lots of lovely comments from our wedding guests and we have some absolutely beautiful photographs! We are so so happy that we chose to have our special day here. Lots of beautiful memories to treasure forever! Thank you x

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My friend and I only stayed for one night on a business trip but we found the hotel to be excellent. We arrived about 8pm, and were greeted by a friendly host who accompanied us to our room. The room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable and pleasing to the eye.
We ate in the restaurant and the food and service was superb, friendly staff and very attentive to our needs.
Grounds are also beautiful and well kept
Can't fault the stay, will definitely return when in the area again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Llanidloes, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We had our wedding reception at the hotel in June and everything was just perfect and made our day magical. The sun was shining and the house and surroundings were beautiful. The food was brilliant and plenty of it and so many of our guests were quick to tell me how impressed they were. We had the bridal suite in the coach house which has been recently renovated and it was amazing, I cannot wait to come back next year to stay in the room again! I cannot say enough how absolutely exceptional the staff were and especially 'Lee' who was amazing throughout the whole planning process and day. We couldn't of picked a better place to celebrate and I would highly recommend staying here to anyone in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
somerset,england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had reserved two rooms for my mother and myself. I requested a renovated room in the Coach House for my mother and one in the main building for myself.
My mother's room (room 15) was a disgrace. Tiny and if it had been renovated then it is not a renovation to be proud of. The only chair to sit on was so low she would never have been able to stand up again. The furniture was old and nothing to get excited about. The bathroom was at least clean and fresh.
My roon (room 8) had stains on the carpet, was so small i don't think two people would have been able to move in the room together and with a stained bath tub and no shower! The suitcase rack could only be place directly in front of the wardrobe so if you had to unpack into it i do not know how one would have managed. Thankfully we were only staying one night and did not un pack.
The bed was comfortable at least.
At breakfast the waiter (trainee manager perhaps?) asked if i had slept well because most people complain of the noise from staff going into the kitchen below and the room is usually used for starff because of this! Fortunately for me i am deaf so without my hearing aids this was not an issue - if you are not deaf don't accept this room.
We had a light meal in the restaurant - i had a warm chicken caesar salad - described on the menu as containing achovies and parmesan cheese. Although the salad was delicious there was no sight of either ancovies or paremsan cheese - why advertise something that is not followed through?
There is much talk of renovation but we did not see anything to make us think that this is happening.
It must be said that the staff were charming and tried to please (if a little bit silly to tell guests that they are basically in the worse room in the house).
At the prices charges at this hotel there are loads of much better alternatives. Be warned and think twice before making a reservation here.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms 8 or 15 - can't talk about the others as we did not see them
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travellingman64
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback and I am extremely sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations.
I would normally keep my responses brief but I think your comments deserve a full explanation which I hope you will not find too lengthy.
As you may note from our other trip advisor comments we do score generally in the 90's with our guest feedback,however I think we must hold our hands up and say we got it very wrong for you on your recent stay. The room in question is not generally used and my young manager,who you so rightly spotted, has indeed learn't one of life's lessons on discretion.
NOW to explain a little regarding the situation, we had suffered a maintenance issue (or should I say a guest not keeping the shower curtain inside the bath the night before your arrival and we were faced with a double room that could not be used.The result of this is that we had tried earlier in the day to locate alternative accommodation to offer but the area was completely full as there was a number of events happening in the area. For this reason your room was returned to service for the evening and although it is not the best room it does have everything except a shower (the main reason we do not use it).
With regards your Mothers room this has not been refurbished and was one of our older rooms in the grounds of the hotel,as you had requested a room on ground floor level and the main hotel does not have any ground floor rooms.I think my manager who handled your booking had relayed this during your email correspondence.
The Caesar salad should definitely have contained the 2 missing items and as I said at the beginning when you get it wrong it always happens to the same person(no excuse I know).
I have since spoken with our Head Chef to ensure all his team are fully aware of the ingredients of this salad . I am not sure if you raised the missing items with the restaurant staff at the time but we would certainly have tried to put it right immediately if you had.
Finally with regards the hotel renovation,we do our up most to carry out any work outside of our main guest occupation times. In some respects I am glad you saw no evidence of the refurbishment as this is exactly as it should be. Rest assured we are hard at it with the refurbishment and we do welcome showing guest the function rooms and bedrooms we have already completed as is stated in the guest folder letter in each room.
I hope this has gone some way to explain and please do accept our sincere apologies on behalf of all of us at the hotel if you did not enjoy your stay, as you can well imagine we do not wish to send our guests away disappointed.
I would add that I am available at most times and should you wish to speak with me please do not hesitate to contact the hotel

John Garner
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Friendly staff but let down by over-priced food, a dodgy staircase and dated rooms. Annoyingly, it was particularly noisy until the early hours on a week night and hardly got any sleep. I did complain but no compensation was offered, just an acknowledgement that it was loud - unsatisfactory!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Polizzis_Pal
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff of the hotel.
with regards your noise complaint, it is not possible for me to investigate as your stay is listed as August 2012 which is nearly a year ago. However we must apologise if you felt we did not handle this in a more positive manner it is certainly not the usual way we would deal with a guest comment. The hotel is under going a continuous refurbishment and all rooms should be finished within the next 18 months. The staircase is an original feature of the house and as a listed building we cannot made any alterations to this.
I hope that has been informative.
John garner
Caersws, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

After two days showing our visiting Australian relatives our beautiful Welsh countryside, we needed somewhere to relax and re-charge our batteries before retiring back home. Although we hadn't booked, Maesmawr Hall Hotel did not disappoint. Despite the restaurant being fully booked for residents, the four of us were able to enjoy a bar meal with a mouth-watering menu and attention to details was first class. There was also seating provided out of doors in the beautifully maintained grounds which also looked very welcoming. We had no need of accommodation as 'home' was only a mile away, but I have known Maesmawr Hall very well all my life and would have no hesitation in recommending it for accommodation or food, or both. We saw no sign of the resident ghost on our visit!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for your very kind comments and it is so nice to know that you enjoyed your evening. We look forward to welcoming you again and next time who knows the ghost may show on future occasions.
John Garner
Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caersws
Mellington Hall Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,399 reviews
The Old Vicarage
The Old Vicarage
#2 of 16 in Newtown

Been to Maesmawr Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!