“nice little gem,off the beaten highway”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Plough Inn - CLOSED

The Plough Inn
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
north wales
“nice little gem,off the beaten highway”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

you could be forgiven for driving past the plough in llandegla because it is in the countryside,but myself and my wife were traveling back from wrexham and spotted it at the last minute,as we were very hungry we stopped in to check it out,and boy im glad we did,there was a good many items on the menu,and as it was sunday they had a carvery on,a choice of three meats,and the chef took great pride in saying u could try all three(a slice of each) i settled on the roast beef with plenty of roast potatoes,and as much veg as u wanted(and you could go back for more veg,the staff were very attentive,asking if everything was ok there was also other specials on the wall if u wanted something different,,the toilets were spotless,they had a great selection of wines,beers and spirits,we pai £9-50p each for the carvery,and £1-95p each for 2 pots of tea,which i thought was great value.when i went to pay i asked if they had any tooth picks(as the beef does tend to get between ur teeth,and they gave us the plastic ones,classy!!not like those little cocktail sticks u usually get,there is also a beer garden and childrens play area,car parking on site,when iwas leaving i was presented with a loyalty card,you receive a stamp on it for every visit,and u get a free meal on ur 6th visit. all in all a very nice place to visit(just off ruthin road)thank you keith and sian for your hospitality,i cant wait for our next visit!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank bammisammy

Pen-y-cae, United Kingdom
“Menu description of food sounded delicious but didn't match the real thing”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Decided to go out for a meal there as we had a babysitter for the evening.
As it was a Tuesday the main restaurant area was closed so we were sat at the far end of the pub area. Just as we ordered a party of couples with young loud kids sat right behind us (not what we wanted since we had gone out to escape kids!). We asked if we could be moved and we placed in a corner table right in the pub area.
For starters I had black pudding, bacon and brie and she had the pate which was very well prepared, presented and tasted excellent. For mains she had chicken and I had a rump steak. Depite asking for my steak to be meduim rare it arrived well done. As I didn't want to make a fuss I didn't sent it back. Despite not being what I ordered it was also just as good as the starters.
A couple opposite us ordered a rack of lamb and sent it back as it was too fatty (wish I had now) and as a substitute meal they also ordered a medium rare steak but we left before it arrived so we didn't see if the chef had cooked it correctly this time.
As we were now in the main pub a large bloke came in who obviously loved his own voice. He sat with a couple by us and didn't stop talking at the top of his voice (they promptly left) then he went to the bar and began chatting up the barmaids!
I was interested in the "Plough Vs Man Challenge" and will go back to try out the eating competitions.

• Visited August 2013
Bala, United Kingdom
“Reasonable food but they want to get rid of you after eating”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We have used the Plough many times after a days shoping as we pass it on the way home and it saves cooking when we get in. The food is normally quite good, and Friday 12th April was no exception, what was different, and we could see no reason why, was everything was rushed. We were in there at 6.30pm and there were plenty of seats for anyone else coming in who wanted to eat. We ordered and were served in about the normal time of a 10 - 15 minute wait, but thats when the problems started. One of the girls on duty (tall, with glasses) kept coming to the table and asking had we finished, when it was obvious we had not. I finished before my wife, and my plate was then removed whilst she was still eating, but the moment she had finished her meal the plate was whisked away and and without asking we were presented with the bill, which stated "requested bill". We paid and left. Now we like to relax somewhat over a meal, but this rushed approach to has certainly made us question - "should we go in there again"? There are others in the locallity (the Moors Inn is now the same ownership), or we could take a slightly different route home, passing other eating establishments on the way and be treated in a more civilised manner.

• Visited April 2013