“Unsafe diving ”

Aegean Divers Dive Center - Day Excursions
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Pyrgos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Aegean Divers is a Dive Center and Dive Shop. The only one diving center in Santorini who can offers you 38 different diving spots.We offer individual and group dive packages,private scuba diving for divers or non divers,try scuba (1 dive) or discover scuba diving (2 dives) for beginners, boat dives or shore dives for certified divers, SSI certification courses up to Divemaster level and various specialized diver courses. Morning and afternoon programs.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I'm sad to write this review as these people were nice people and very friendly. However, I feel that there were several issues that in hindsight have made me feel the need to warn others about.

1) broken air gauge
- after returning from a deep dive- (about 35 m) one persons air gauge still registered at 150 bar- on this dive most people were very low on air (by the end I was on 30 bar) one person ran out of air completely (and then had to use the instructors spare respirator) after consistently warning the instructors about what we were on. We weren't asked how much we were on by the instructors as in my experience you normally turn around and make your way back at 100bar and ascend at 50 bar. There was no 3 minute stop at 5 meters.

2) got lost
The dive master- a very experienced man who did apologise to us when we got back on the boat, saying he got "disorientated" - went in the wrong direction, got lost and started swimming very fast - so much so it was hard to keep up- we were swimming so fast to keep up we were short of breath under water as one would be whilst running.

3) unprofessional and unorganised-
There was a lot of waiting around! We left at 9.15 from our pick up point- and got back at 3.15- after 2 dives. My boyfriend had to help with the manual work with organising the tanks etc. we were told pick up and drop off were included but they were reluctant to give us a lift back saying they were "too busy".
One of the instructors urinated off the side of the boat for all to see rather than getting in the water discretely.

4) mixed abilities- there were some people who had not dived in a very long time with us (one guy had not dived in 9 years) - it is my understanding that it is customary under these circumstances to complete a refresher dive before attempting such challenging deep/ wreck dives.

As I said- they were friendly people- but I think that Aegean Divers need to make some changes.

18  Thank gabby m
SARMAS, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Aegean Divers Dive Center - Day Excursions, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

First of all we have the need to start our reply with an apology, as we also did in private, for many things went wrong that day, but none of them put our divers in jeopardy. And the proof of our words is the gentlemen, who you refer to as not having dove for 9 years, he returned two days later for more dives and brought his wife for Discover Scuba! And to clarify everything, he had enough dives for not being mandatory a refresher course.

Anyway, I have personally spoken to all of my staff regarding every aspect our day from the completion of forms, to the moment all customers have left the premise.
I believe some points you have raised to be valid. To some others I think aren’t. I do not feel we endangered any of the divers. But let’s focus on what you are right. The gauge that froze, was checked for operation before being loaded into the trailer by the customer diving that equipment (as you did to your own). All equipment is subject to fail at some stage. Our equipment receives an annual service by a certified tech as per manufacturer suggestion. Furthermore, that gauge has been thrown out and replaced with a new unit.

So, I believe the main problems came from the side of Nickos. Such as not checking your air as you said and losing the way to the wreck. Nickos is a free lancer and for many years used to work at another dive center. He has a different way to work and we talk many times for the way I want him to work. Your review was one of the main reasons we are no longer working with him!
Now, about the air you should bring back at the boat, PADI says 50 bars and SSI says 34 bars. That means 30 is not far from 34 and don’t forget that you had with two (2) guides ready to help for six (6) divers! And that was because we knew from the forms you called to fill up, you weren’t all at the same level. And about the safety stop, the way we go this dive, the last 3-4 minutes you swim back at the level of 5-6 meters. And this is equal to a safety stop. But since we can’t be sure what Nickos did, I need to apologize for this also. In any case as a diver you should know that called safety stop because adds to your safety. Is not a deco stop to put you in direct danger if you skip it.

About the delay… Thank you for putting your fault on our back! Don’t forget that day you jumped into another’s dive center car and we had to wait for you. But as you said you were back at 15:15, that means on schedule for us, as you can check in our web-site. As you can also check in our web-site we don’t offer transfers! But we said we can pick you up from central bus station at Fira and drop you off back there, as we did, since is not far from our dive center. You were just asked to wait a few minutes until we finish unloading the gear. And we never request customers to carry equipment, however we can’t stop someone which volunteers help. And it would be good to know what you mean by your boyfriend “organized the tanks”, because if you take a look at our boat, you will see there are not many things to organize as everything has a certain place to go…

Kostas Sarmas
General Director

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was my first time diving and I got to experience it with the best people and in one of the most beautiful places in the world, in Santorini. I was scared at first since it was my first time and I did not know what to expect, but the staff knows exactly what they are doing and they guide each person to get to know the equipment and to feel safe. It was amazing! We did two dives and I saw corals, fish, I saw a sunken ship and had the time of my life! I will defiantly go back there! The staff is super nice and they are friendly, they help each person and make sure everyone is having a great time! Plus we got cookies while on board! Overall, it was the best experience I've ever had! It was amazing to dive and to know that I was safe because the divers and staff were always close to me! I am super happy that I took the courage to do this, it was magnificent!

1  Thank Pamelape
Reviewed 15 June 2014

During my short visit to Santorini I decided to visit this dive center and obtain my SSI Open Water Diver certification with a friend. What a great decision that was! The characters in the shop make the experience that much better, from the ever patient and kind Vasilli and the joker Dimitry to the shops very own Greek Australian Demi.

The team were very well trained and left us with a lot of confidence while learning this totally new skill. After getting through all the training, heading out for a boat dive truly showed us what Santorini has to offer divers. Steep reefs, caves, coral and plenty of marine life. Diving in these pristine, calm waters is truly worthwhile.

One tip, the bakery next door do an amazing baguette and it is the perfect compliment to a bit of downtime between dives (they also sell cheap beers so is a perfect way to pass on a thank you to the boys! ...and Andriana).

All round, this was a great way to spend a few days in Santorini as you are finished by the early afternoon, leaving plenty of time to explore the rest of the island.

Don't let the online booking form deceive you, they are an organised bunch with a lot of experience. The perfect crew to show you what diving in Santorini has to offer as well as a few tips on local places to visit.

2  Thank Patrick M
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I am an experienced diver and I would definately highly recommand this place. The are very professional, serious about security, and they make the effort to making you dive experience the best they can.

2  Thank JCAutourDuMonde
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I did my open water certificate with these guys. I don't know much about other companies but none of my training was in the pool, it was all in the ocean which made it that much better. The guys who run the place are excellent. Always up for a laugh and happy to help me with anything like accommodation, food and general facts about Santorini. These guys have a lot more dive sites than others on the island. We shared the beach with other companies and from what I saw I was with the right one! I am hooked and have planned more dives this week! Thanks guys for a great week.

3  Thank Simo9292