“Lovely.”

Orizontes Hotel & Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Pyrgos
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at this resort for 3 nights along with my wife.
This is located at a height and has good views all round the resort. Checking in at the resort was like a breeze and we were escorted to our room which had a ground and small mezzanine floor. there was a kitchenette, TV and small sofa on the ground floor and a small very cozy bedroom on the mezzanine floor. The rear door opened out to a moderately spaced sit out with a table and three chairs which could be used to enjoy the great scenic beauty of the place. The air conditioning was good and we could feel it when we entered the room from the hot outside temperatures. The bathroom was clean and maybe the bath tub was a little small which made me feel a bit cramped while having bath. Still, it was a very enjoyable room and we loved it.
The swimming pool was very well maintained and located at an open space with breath taking view of the sea and mountains. The restaurant next to the pool was neatly furnished with a bar as well. We had our breakfast here which was complimentary and good too. Ms. Dora who was at the restaurant was a great help to us in all respects like choosing the food, giving information about the place and also suggesting places to visit during our stay. Close to the hotel one can find restaurants at walking distances which are quite good particularly for Greek food. There is also a historic Church situated on top of a mountain which is walkable from the hotel
Overall I would say this is a fantastic place to stay and I will surely visit this place again with more friends.
I would like to say "thank you" to Dora and Lefelles (pardon me if I did not get the name right) for being of great help during our stay here.

3  Thank Vishwa180573

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel was reserved for us by Gate1Travel during our tour and we couldn't be happier. The hotel is centrally located at the highest point of the island with a 360 degree view. Our room was large, clean, comfortable, and overlooked the caldera and Aegean sea. Sunset is spectacular on the pool deck, rivaling Oia. Breakfast was included and excellent. Dinner at the hotel was ok so you might consider other local places after watching the sunset outside the bar. The front desk was very helpful to arrange an ATV for us and check our airport transfer when left. We took a morning ATV trip south to Kamari beach and a winery, then an afternoon trip north through Fira to Oia and Ammoudi. The nearby Pyrgos square was quaint and walking distance, with a great restaurant. The area is quiet and relaxing, there were no hoards of tourists to contend with. Our stay was only a couple days so we were busy exploring Santorini, but we will return here simply to relax poolside and enjoy local culture, and be a home base for anything we'd do on the island.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JBDuelm
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My first real complaint on TA. I'm not a complaining customer but this was really bad.
Arrived late at night to be shuffled off to a small room. Our booking suggest a 25sq meter room. We had also booked a sea view and it was at best a partial sea view but only if you stood at the end of the terrace. In the night woke up to find the bed full of ants. Lots of bites, so couldn't sleep.
Early morning went to reception to see what could be done. Little shocked to find staff sleeping rough actually in reception area. Lady on desk was totally argumentative, acusing me of taking food to bed. No apology or remedy was offered. When confronted by this attitude I also pointed out the room was smaller than in my booking, there was no sea view from the room and the promised wifi was not working. To which she replied.. No the room is as stated on your booking.
Just a little empathy and apology would have been fine, but the attitude was totally wrong for a claimed luxury hotel.
We had a late super and breakfast which was very good, and the restaurant staff were very good. Pool area is nice, room we had was basic.
Pity front desk, checked out feeling very annoyed.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David H
Gregory S, Manager at Orizontes Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Dear David H. thank you for your review… We are happy that you liked the diner , the breakfast and our restaurant staff. The morning that you arrived the 2 ladies that you saw in the reception were clients that came earlier (the check-in is 14:00 o clock) we offered them coffee and the clients were waiting their rooms.. How it is possible to have staff sleeping in the reception!! Concerning your reservation we explained to you that the room that you were staying was the room that you booked and the front desk proposed in order for you to have a pleasant stay to you to change your room the day after..

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was the most seamless trip we have had in years - from the airport pick up to the lazy days by the pool - this is an exotic and quality home from home. Our rooms with fabulous views, the staff just so friendly and helpful and the food from the pool side restaurant stunning - we stayed for a week and didn't have the same dish more than once - an amazing choic on the menu! The pool is a good 18m so offers a great swim, the walk in to town just 5-minutes and the same to the sun set paradise of the vinyard. Fotis, Vaso and the team are right on the ball for service, value and a friendly, yet professional take on guests' needs. The weather was stunning and there is something for everyone to do - there were two couple in our party and no one needed to do anything they didn't want to - some exercise, some drinking (lots of drinking), plenty of eating and we made some new friends too. We are going back next season - and that's for sure! We had a ball! Thank you all.

Room Tip: Leave it to the team - they will deal with it :)
1  Thank Cedricksays
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I really really wanted to like this hotel! It was beautiful! It has a lovely pool and outside area and if you don't mind traveling, it was ten minutes from Fira. We rented an ATV so it was easy to get around and we also made use of the buses, once we figured them out. My only issue with the physical aspect of the hotel was that our room definitely needed a little TLC and GOD did it need a new mattress- I had such a backache- the pool chairs would have been more comfortable. I considered it one night when I woke up at 3!
My first real problem with the hotel was that I spoke to the manager several times via email about an airport pickup because I was unsure of public transportation upon arrival. They never showed!!! We were stranded at the airport because I stupidly believed they would come, so I told my husband to be patient and by then all of the taxis had then left. So we had to walk with our luggage and flag down a taxi outside of the airport which is also not easy. Ok- not a HUGE deal, but after hours and hours of flying I was kind of annoyed when we arrived.
When we got to the hotel it was never addressed by management. Im not one to make a huge stink about things, but I did tell the receptionist we weren't picked up and she apologized but that was it! I guess I expected something from the management- at least an apology! Since we arrived early, which I had warned them of in an email, I knew checking in early might be a problem. I was prepared for it, so my husband and I patiently waited in a corner and watched a movie on my computer. But we sat and sat....and sat some more and no one even bothered to check on us- we didn't get offered something to drink even! I decided to remain open minded as the island was beautiful and so was the hotel, but unfortunately as our week continued, I saw how the management behaved. The two men I believed were the managers would walk by us every morning and IGNORE us- How do you not say good morning or hello to your guests? I knew at least one spoke good English because he wrote it in an email about the pick up so that wasn't an excuse.
My husband and I are well traveled. We are two public school teachers who work hard all year to take nice vacations over the summer. It was all such a turn off to me! I saw they spoke to certain guests, but not us- I just couldn't get over the blatant rudeness! Before posting this I read some of the more recent responses from guests in the past couple of months and saw a few that found the same thing! Maybe because we're American? Maybe because we didn't book through the website?? I couldn't get over it! Even when we sat at the pool, they made us feel like we didn't belong there. I saw people being greeted and hands being shaken, but the few around me who I knew were American got totally ignored. Everyone else on staff was friendly and helpful from the maids to the reception and the restaurant. I'm not one who writes negative reviews very often on trip advisor because I understand the implications for the hotel. But I, like many of you reading this work hard for your money and want to spend it wisely. I don't book ANYTHING unless I read the reviews on here first and this was an honest review. I would not return to this hotel- I hesitated even giving it three stars, but because of the rest of the staff being so nice I decided to go for the three instead of two.
The shining star of staying at this hotel was the lovely restaurant across the street! it's a must try if you do decide to brave staying here!

Room Tip: They gave us a wifi code, but wifi could only be accessed from the lobby.
1  Thank Laura128000
Gregory S, Manager at Orizontes Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Laura 128000.. Thank you very much for your review and for your kind words for the hotel and our staff. We want you to be sure that we do our best to be close to our clients (as you noticed it as well ), no matter their nationality , their age, the way they do their booking etc.. But as you understand all our clients cannot have the same mood. Some clients prefer to be let alone ,they want to pass their vacation without being bothered , discretely. So we apologize for the misunderstanding we might thought this was the case…

Reviewed 1 July 2014

On arriving at Orizontes, we were somewhat disappointed with our room; it was tiny, didn't have a sea view, and worst of al, the air conditioning didn't work. However, on escalating our concerns with the owner, we were immediately upgraded to a far superior suite, for which we were very grateful.
The stay was nice, the hotel breakfasts were good, but we did rather long for the boutique feel that we'd found previously in Megalachori; however, I appreciate that comes down to personal preference.
Unfortunately, the island buses rarely visit Pyrgos - contrary to what was advertised on Olympic Holidays' website - through whom we booked our holiday. On addressing this with our rep, she became incredibly aggressive and defensive and deterred us from ever travelling with Olympic again.
We did walk into Pyrgos itself a few times too, to discover a lovely hillside town - would definitely recommend a trip there.
Overall a good hotel, but probably wouldn't return when there is so much choice on the island.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MEMScarlett
Reviewed 28 June 2014

fantasic hotel ... clean rooms, great breakfast, unbelievably beautiful views.
Great Pool, and surrounds... staff were ever so helpful.. walking distance to best greek resturant ever been to - Pygros resturant.. close to bus to get to Lira.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pyrgos
Petit Palace Suites Hotel
Oia's Sunset Apartments
Apanemo
Apanemo
#1 of 12 in Akrotiri

Been to Orizontes Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!