“Comfortable motel in great tourist location”

Travers-Sabine Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Arnaud
Travers-Sabine Lodge
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We rented a studio-style "log cabin" unit at the end of a group of four units. It met all the basic requirements: regularly serviced; good king-size bed with firm mattress; clean well-lit bathroom with good shower; fairly basic kitchen facilities: pots and pans but only a small hotplate, so you wouldn't be cooking elaborate meals here. The nights were surprisingly warm and we could only open two small windows so the airflow was not all that great, but this is probably not a major issue in Saint Arnaud for most of the year. Saint Arnaud is a jumping-off point for trampers in the Nelson Lakes region and also offers a variety of beautiful short and long forest and mountain day walks and Lake Rotoiti for boating and (high summer only!) swimming, so it is a good destination from the Picton Ferry or from Nelson, on the way to the West Coast and other points in the South Island.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Taking into account the regular price of this room, and its location, my rating of "very good" captures the fact that the room exceeded expectations. For a similar price, other motels tend to be a bit dated and 'ordinary' whereas the Travers-Sabine is noteworthy for its spacious and open floor plan, its open-timber construction and high ceilings, self-catering option, and modern bathroom facilities.

The kitchen is equipped with a hot plate, kettle, microwave, small fridge, dish ware, cutlery, utensils, and washing-up supplies. There is wireless internet signal in the room ($4/hour) and SKY TV with a few channels including a Movie channel. The bathroom appears to have been recently renovated with tile floors, new shower enclosure, and new sink/faucets, and toilet. The comforter on the bed was dated but the linens were good. And the room was very clean.

There is on-site coin laundry and dry lines outside each room - very nice features for those of us on extended journeys.

The lodge is very close to the Nelson Lakes, and has a nice walking trail behind the lodge that takes you to the nearest lake. You can also walk to the nearby Department of Conservation visitor centre for help with planning activities in the park.

Despite the solid-looking construction, the walls of this lodge are thin and so require that you give consideration to your neighbours (and vice versa). If I could recommend improvements, I'd suggest that the bathroom could have used a couple of hooks for hanging personal belongings; and I would have appreciated a second nightstand to place my eyeglasses and book.

That said, on the whole, we very much enjoyed our stay at the Travers-Sabine and found it to be very good value for the money. We certainly will stay again if we're through the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Always stay at the motel units ,the staff are very accomodating ,the service is great .St Arnaud is a special place. Will be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

wo nights in a contemporary studio unit $125 pn. Ground access from car park across a front verandah through sliding glass door to big room. Corner kitchenette was equipped with microwave and two burner electric hotplate, small fridge and equipment required. Utensils crockery etc for three. Living area had two 2-seateer settees in leather. Flat screen TV was wall mounted in corner to allow viewing from pretty well everywhere in room. Round table with three chairs was great for home cooked meals. Separate shower in bathroom was tops. There was comfy QB and single both with electric blankets. At back of motels was track that wandered to Lake Rotoiti about 15 minutes. The setting is dramatic with grassed gardens and picnic tables and hills behind. Images on the webpage are accurate reflection. Rooms had good sound insulation. Wi-Fi broadband access was separate credit card charge via a web link. Only criticism is that people coming to next door units look straight into the room as can be seen for the pics.. We ate one night at the Alpine Lodge which was a couple of hundred metres up the road. Food good wines a trifle expensive.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have stayed one night. After checking out, I have naively assumed I will be able to stay in the lounge until my bus will arrive, so I went to walk around and when I came back, I have asked to stay in the lounge, the owner, literaly- kicked me out, told me "you can't stay here, go to the D.O.C, look at the display". It was a VERY cold day, I was freezing and he wouldn't enable me to stay, said lies about me leaving rubbish in the room- which was so far from true. I couldn't even use up my internet I purchased already. I would deffinately recommend you to stay away from there! Better go to the Alpine-Lodge

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank israelitraveler88
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Travers-Sabine Lodge (Nelson Lakes Motel). Rain outside, cosy, warm apartment inside. Nice little walk to the lake starts right at the back of the property. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrKaefer
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We've stayed here twice and have had a great experience on both occasions. Always very clean, friendly reception and the self contained units have everything you need. Comfortable beds, peaceful sleep, cooking facilities, Sky/Tv, walking track to the lake. We stayed in the smallest of the available self contained units. Stayed at another Lodge between visits when these guys were full and def wont be going back there again. Thanks for the hospitality :)

Room Tip: The rooms furthest from Reception, closest to the lake are our favourite :)