We recently spent 2 nights at this gem of a hotel and wish that we had been there longer. We found the hotel an oasis of luxury in rural Hungary. The beautiful gardens and pool encouraged us to just relax and take some time out to do nothing. I would also highly recommend the wine tasting, the house wines are of excellent quality and is a good way to sample the different types. I would recommend doing the wine tasting for lunch before an afternoon nap, as snack food is provided (of course you have to pay for the wine tasting!!!!). Tokay itself is quite small with not a lot going on however there are opportunities for wine tasting the famous sweet wines of the region. I would also highly recommend the town 'langos' shops. Mature travellers should avoid Tokay during festivals, we just missed one and apparently university students were passed out in the streets and 5 drowned in the river due to intoxication.
Guests at the Grof Degenfeld may also appreciate the employment policy they apparently have for the cleaning staff. Seeing the girls clean windows was like watching a Robert Palmer video (think 1980's Simply Irresistable).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The four star hotel was reconstructed from a historical mansion in the middle of the one hundred hectare vineyard. The rooms are equipped with Empire furniture and fascinate with their fabric and color harmony. The salon and the library are equipped with antique furniture, old paintings and Venetian chandeliers reflecting the atmosphere of the 19th century. The elegant restaurant for 60 persons, the pleasant summer terrace with an overlook to the park, as well as the wine bar in the cellar with unique atmosphere for 40 persons are expecting those who prefer excellent food and high standard wines. The separate room gives place to business and family events, as well as receptions at a high standard. Besides the wonderful environment the qualified staff ensures high standard, but still family like hospitality. Our additional services include: heated outdoor swimming pool, sauna, fitness room, tennis courts , own parking place, 24-hour reception and concierge service, program organisation, restaurant, wine bar, summer terrace, salon, library, conference hall, laundry service, central safe and bicycle rent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grof Degenfeld Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grof Degenfeld Castle Tarcal
- Grof Degenfeld Castle Hotel Hungary/Tarcal