“Great”
Review of Beech Hill House

Beech Hill House
Ranked #1 of 2 Witherslack B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stopped for an overnight stay on the way to Scotland .We (including the dog!) were made most welcome. The room was of an good standard and the dog's 'welcome pack' was an excellent idea. We had a meal (one of the best steak and ale pies that I've had in a long time) and couple of drinks in the local pub (dog friendly) and left Beech Hill House after a proper breakfast the next morning. We will certainly be returning next year on our annual voyage north.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Alexander H

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Have just returned from a great weekend (3 nights) in room 1 of this splendid b&b.
Overall the whole experience was perfect. We had our pet dog Barney a golden Labrador with us
and i think he enjoyed the experience as well. The room was perfect in the sense that we could use the access to the balcony to come and go without interupting other guests.
Jenny and Stuart wew the perfect hosts and the breakfasts were to die for. The local pubs made it easy to eat in the evening and upon return if you just want to chill out you can watch a video from a wonderful selection on tap as they say. All in all i would recommend this place to one and all.

Room Tip: If you have a single pet then room 1 is ideal.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CHRIS07101946
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay in room 1 at this B&B. Overall a very pleasant stay.Tthe room and overall decor wasn't quite up to the standard we were expecting from the pictures and other reviews however it was all perfectly functional! Great room from the persepective of our dog who had own access from the garden, and was more than happy to sit on the balcony and 'talk' to Jenny's greyhounds! There was no shower as such in room one, (a hose connection to the tap over the bath), but that was fine for us. Breakfast was lovely, and plenty of it and the local pub served lovely meals. Very close to dual carriageway (50 yards) but didnt hear much traffic noise thankfully. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KMfamily295
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We had a lovely weekend, very welcoming. Room was very comfortable and clean. Great tea and coffee facilities with plenty of everything and chocolate biscuits. Lovely extras for our greyhound even though he tried to eat the basket they came in as well as the treats!
The breakfast was brilliant - all freshly cooked with great fried eggs and loads of nice fruit, fresh bread for toast and loads of jams etc.
This was our 1st trip away with our greyhound who we adopted in December and we had a really great weekend.
We will be returning in the future and highly recommend this to others.
The resident greyhounds and ones that are being fostered are all very excited to see new people and they give a greyt welcome.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TrinaIan
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The food can't be faulted nor can the room apart from there was only 1 easy chair, and the t.v. wasn't working properly. I asked about the t.v. and Jenny tried but said the channels had been changed and she would send Stuart up. When he didn't arrive we didn't bother them because Jennys' son was very ill at the time. We had been warned that the steps were slippery my partner fell and I slipped, I feel that with all the products on the market this could be treated and made a lot safer.
We cut our stay short, I felt very sad and let down as I had been so looking forward to going there and had really built it up to my fiance.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan A
Jenny0053, Owner at Beech Hill House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

We are saddened to hear our guest didn't enjoy her break with us, but she arrived with a very swollen face caused by an abscess, which she said was extremely painful and this may have had a bearing on how she felt about her stay.
What a pity our guest never thought to ask for a second easy chair, as we could have easily given her another.
On occasion, even though we provide an instruction sheet, if our guests don’t understand how to work the television we are happy to help. When our guest asked for help I showed them in great detail how to find the channels, a couple of them had just changed that we were not aware of, which sometimes happens with FreeSat, so I showed them how to choose the ones they wanted, and how to control the volume. In passing, I mentioned that if I couldn't sort out the television then Stuart, my husband would, as he knows more about the technical side of things than I do. Our guests were both happy with what I showed them and before leaving the room I asked them to let us know if they had any further problems and we would come and help. I didn't say I would send Stuart up because our guests were happy with what I’d shown them. If I had mentioned this, then he would have come up. We heard no more from our guests regarding the television that evening, nor the following day, so understood they were now able to work it okay.
My guest knew my son had been very ill before she arrived because she follows the work we do with the rescued greyhounds on the internet and, on occasion, I mention my family. Having been in the hospitality industry for over forty years, my son being ill would have no bearing on the professional way we run our bed and breakfast.
Sadly, we were not aware our guests had slipped as they never mentioned it while here. We've had the wettest year on record and we've tried our best to keep things safe for everyone. We have a special coating for the balcony, but we are unable to apply it until it dries out, hence the reason we warn our guests to be careful.
We were quite shocked to see our guests leaving early, and thought at first it was because of the pain caused by the abscess, especially as we were unaware of anything else being wrong. We were also very surprised to receive a letter from her asking for a refund of her last night’s stay, especially as the key to the balcony door in their room had been broken in the lock requiring the unit to be replaced before another guest could stay.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Beech Hill House exceeded our expectations. Jenny & Stuart were the perfect hosts and the room was perfect in every way, lots of extra touches in the room and a welcome sherry greated us on our arrival. Our 3 dogs settled in straight away in fact they didn't want to come home either.

We would recommend this lovely guest house, the rooms are very spacious, with sat TV/DVD player along with plenty of DVD's to watch if you want or plenty of books if you just want to relax and read.
The sitting room provides games, it is the perfect place to sit and relax. and access to a laptop if you need one plus free wifi .
The breakfast is the best I have ever had and the choice you get is fantastic they also offer a breakfast tray that you cam have in your room if you prefer.
Enjoyed staying here so much we have booked to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank punkyjane
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Beech Hill House was absolutely fantastic, Janet and her husband definitely went the extra mile to make us welcome, there were loads of little things such as dimmer switches in the room and bathroom, which we appreciated. Sleigh bed was so comfortable I could have slept there all weekend! Would definitely stay again, and we are fussy customers.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ade62

Been to Beech Hill House? Share your experiences!