“Homely stay at The Derby Arms”
Review of The Derby Arms

The Derby Arms
Ranked #2 of 2 Witherslack B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We had a lovely and relaxing stay on the weekend of Cartmel races in July. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our rooms were very comfortable and we could have had a party in our bathroom. Beware of the open plan bedroom/bathroom! The food was wonderful and I had the nicest steak pie ever! Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Derby Arms

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

They let us check in early around 11:30am due to going to a wedding which was helpful & appreciated. Plenty of parking at back & down side of pub. Warm welcome from the girl who greeted us, very helpful. Room only small but ok. Wasn't the cleanest & could do with a deep clean, could see where area's had been missed on regular basis, ledges, edges, cobwebs but on the whole ok. Bed comfy, free view tv. No where to store clothes though. Excellent power shower. Had cooked breakfast in the morning, wasn't the best, only ate half of it & I never leave food! Not the tastiest so a bit disapointed. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed at the Derby Arms for one night with two other couples before heading off to Cartmel races the following day. Mark the manager was friendly and made us all very welcome. The rooms were very clean and the bed comfortable. We ate in the pub and the food was excellent. Great choice for breakfast and the staff on duty in the morning couldn't do enough for us. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed with a group of friends Friday 19th July as was off to races. Mark the manager and all the staff so friendly. Rooms are clean and the food excellent for pub food. We also had breakfast which was excellent and was included in price. Will definitely be returning to this establishment again.Thanks to all the staff at the Derby arms in making our stay so welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Fish and chips £10, Chips hard as rock! When we complained the bar man said "you should have soaked them in vinegar"

Countless dogs in and out the bar (Animal friendly)
Parasite seen on menu.

Spider webs on the windows, No mirror in the bathroom and bin bags in the corridor.
Go somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank topcatchester
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My partner & I visited this pub on a sunny Friday evening for a drink as were staying in a B&B locally.

The first time we were served there were no issues, the second time however we approached the bar & there was no one around to take our drinks order, all the staff seemed to be too interested being handed their wage envelopes in the back office, which we could clearly see as the door was open. A young lad saw us, then chose to ignore us and walk back into the back office. We were stood there waiting and an older guy, who I can only assume is a manager, spotted us and told the young lad to serve us. We were greeted with a very rude "What do you want?" in only a manner I can describe as if we were cold callers trying to sell something! My partner advised that we would like a drink and then we had another rude response "... ooooof?", needless to say we were shocked. I asked for an Amaretto & Coke, which the young lad then told us that he would have to get another member of staff to serve us. The manager came over to us and served us. We were still in shock so just ordered our drinks, sat outside then left.

There are some reviews on here saying that this place is quite nice, it's just a shame we were greeted with such hostility, that we didn't want to stay and pay for any more drinks.

It seems there are a lot of young people working at this pub, and that in itself I have no issue with, as I too when I was a teen worked in a pub waitressing. However I do believe that you need to employ staff with manners and respect, because without that, they are only ever going to upset customers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vickie B
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The Derby Arms is a pub with rooms in the middle of nowhere. After a hard days cycle it was great to find my room had a bath to soak in, along with a pint of quality real ale. The room was spacious and nicely decorated, things were looking good.

Then I ordered some food. The Derby Arms obviously has foody ambitions with an interesting menu that I couldn't wait to try. The Confit of pork belly was nice but it was served on a bed of lettuce smothered with apple sauce which didn't work at all. Yuk. Worse was to come with the main course of Venison liver with cheesy mash: the liver was very overcooked to the point of being inedible, and the mash was a massive solid lump in the middle of the bowl that could have fed a family of four, with a nasty skin where it had been reheated. I think they forgot the cheese, but it was hard to tell as I was gagging as much down as I could - being a cyclist I needed the calories or I would have left the lot. This was the worst course of food I have ever eaten in a restaurant and I'm 52 so I've eaten a lot.

I would certainly recommend this place to stay at, but make sure you have a car because you'll be sorry if you eat here.

Room Tip: The room with the claw foot bath is nice, ask for that one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Fandango11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witherslack
Cumbria Grand Hotel
#13 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Beech Hill House
Beech Hill House
#1 of 2 in Witherslack

Been to The Derby Arms? Share your experiences!