“Stress free evening meal”
Review of The Derby Arms

The Derby Arms
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Derby Arms joined the Ainscoughs Pub team in December 2008 after extensive restoration. Serving good food, beer and wine in a traditional environment with log fires and period furniture just like the rest of the pubs in the group. We have now been recommended in the Michelin Pub Guide for 2014 and have won the 'Pub of the Season' award, CAMRA. We have a games room with a pool table and dart board which is intended to form the focus of the village. The Derby Arms was purchased from Punch Taverns by the Witherslack Community Land Trust and the Ainscough Family took over the lease to preserve it as part of Witherslack life. Part of the pub was converted into the village shop, run by the community with community shareholders.
Crosthwaite, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stress free evening meal”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

From the cheery person on the end of the phone taking my reservation through the not too long but not rushed service to paying for the meal was a lovely experience....and the food was great! Accurately described on the menu, not high brow but tasty & well presented. The open fire contributed to the atmosphere, thanks for a lovely evening.

• Visited March 2014
cj1127, Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Hello Charlotte, many thanks for your kind words. Sounds like you had a great evening, we'd love to welcome you back for another!

Many thanks,

Chris Hoyle
Assistant Manager

Richmond, United Kingdom
“Excellent service, great beer, good food, muddy boots and an open fire.”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

After a muddy trudge nearby we had lunch at the pub, arriving not long before service was finishing. The welcome was warm and the nearby open fire was soon brought back to life. The beer was excellent and the food good value and tasty (sandwiches only). The service was good with additional drinks brought to the table.
We enquired about rooms and the new owner took us up to look at an empty room. He said that he was dispensing with a higher tariff for "superior" rooms and you book what you want.
This is a good pub and the owner deserves to succeed. I will return to help him!

• Visited December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing - used to be great”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Usually I would be raving about The Derby Arms as myself and my friends have been regulars for years as the meals were so lovely. However this does not seem to be the case anymore. The menu seems to have been given a bit of a rethink and I was really disappointed to see no offering for gluten free options which, previously there had been. It is depressing enough when you have to eradicate most of the menu because it contains gluten however a lot of restaurants are making the effort to make alternative options which the Derby USED to be one of! So I ended up with the warm goats cheese salad which cost £10.50 and consisted of a few lettuce leaves, 3 sun blush tomatoes and a bit of onion and two pieces of goats cheese, this isn't really what I would class as a main meal it was more like a starter and for that price I would have expected something more substantial. The portion sizes have progressively got smaller with some of the dishes.
I'm sorry Derby Arms you used to be our first choice for a nice lunch however you are off the list now as the food is just not the quality it used to be.

• Visited December 2013
opsmgrainscoughs, Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
I'm very disappointed that you have had an experience below the levels you would normally associate with The Derby Arms. With regard to the menu, we are constantly changing dishes are are always happy to accommodate various dietary requirements and I'm sorry we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I hope that you do contact us and allow us the opportunity to put your faith back into our lovely pub
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Pub Grub”
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Went recently with my girlfriend. Sat by a nice roaring fire which was perfect as it was cold outside. A blonde waitress was superb and could've have been more attentive.
I ordered scampi and my girlfriend ordered the ale pie. Both meals were great and the scampi was clearly homemade which was a nice touch. Definitely eat here again.

Durham, United Kingdom
“Delicious Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have had a few social drinks and bar meals here before which were very good, so we decided to sample the Sunday lunch, and we weren't disappointed. The service was swift and our meals arrived very quickly. Our roast beef was excellent as were the fresh veg. (crisp to the bite as i like it) a Huge Yorkshire pud rounded off a lovely meal.
The Derby Arms is an excellent country pub that is both family and dog friendly. The staff are really friendly, attentive and welcoming. Definitely worth a visit

• Visited November 2013