“Great Food”

Smiddy Haugh Hotel
Smiddy Haugh Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Aberuthven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stopped in Aberuthven for dinner, accompanied by my wife and two small children. Although the staff appeared to be surprised to have two adults and two children under two appear for dinner at 5pm on a Sunday night, we were accommodated quickly and efficiently.

The food was excellent, home-cooked pub food - I had a great beefburger, my wife had an excellent chicken and ham pie, and my two-year-old daughter was delighted by the sausage and mash.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed here overnight, on our way to the Highlands. If you're travelling north from central / southern UK then placed at the start of the A9, the Smiddy Haugh is PERFECTLY located to break the journey up (and it's biker friendly).
That said, that's not the only reason to stay here. The welcome is friendly and the surroundings equally so.
We stayed in the bar, having a few drinks and enjoying a laugh with the locals, before moving into the restaurant for our meal.
The food was fantastic, served promptly and professionally.
The room was exceptionally clean and had all the basics you need in a room. Ours was not en suite although there was a wash basin, the bathroom, shared with one other room was right outside our door. (I do know that there are en suite rooms in the hotel, but as we booked last minute, they'd been taken). Don't let this put you off, although I suppose if you were staying for a couple of weeks, it could be a pain.
In my experience of small family run hotels such as this, phoning the hotel owners direct is usually better than booking through discount websites.
This is a fantastic value for money hotel that I would not hesitate to recommend, I'll certainly be finding my way back there.

Room Tip: Limited number of en suite rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My family and I stay in the area and this is a regular haunt for us. It does great meals and uses local produce. The family that run it work very hard to accommodate and make envy one feel welcome. It's a great location for exploring the local countryside or a short hop fro Gleaneagles train station to Edinburgh, Glasgow or Perth. A great place as a retreat from the stress of city living with a genuine welcome from the owners and staff and a much nicer experience than yet another generic bland hotel chain.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheena M
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Ate here recently and can thoroughly recommend. The mussels were a good portion with a lovely creamy broth and chunks of bread. The venison was delicious. Staff are very friendly and the bar is dog friendly. my husband loved the real ale.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank towniegirlie
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Great small pub/hotel, very friendly owners, and locals, and dogs. Stayed overnight on way back from the Highlands. Had a room at the back overlooking nice beer garden. Room was clean, twin beds comfortable, bathroom spotless. Will certainly stay again when in the area. Only small complain was there is only a limited evening menu, but that did not spoil our stay. Breakfast was spot on.

Room Tip: Room 4 overlooking the beer garden
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bandaenterprises
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My friend and I stayed the last 2 nights of our week long tour of Scotland. The hotel was the least appealing of those we stayed in but it was also the cheapest. The decor is tired as is the bedroom furniture but the bedding was clean and so was the en suite bathroom. The welcome on arrival was friendly and the food in the restaurant was as good as you'd find in most city restaurants, in fact better than in some I can think of. Overall, good value for money and so long as you don't mind the lack of luxury touches (and hairdrier) then this is a very good option and to be recommended. Not for those who don't like animals though as the owners have 3 beautfiul dogs who like to lie around the stairs and be fussed over. A plus in my book!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catomania
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stopped in for a evening meal while staying at another hotel locally and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. A really friendly welcome and some good food in the bar while enjoying the local banter made a very pleasant evening for us.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kincorth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberuthven
CLC Duchally Country Estate
#1 of 3 in Auchterarder
Allandale House
Allandale House
#1 of 12 in Auchterarder

Been to Smiddy Haugh Hotel? Share your experiences!