“Lovely hotel with super infinity pool”
Review of Kithala Resort

Kithala Resort
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Tissamaharama
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I went to this hotel as part of my tour round Sri Lanka. Very clean and nice large rooms and very comfortable.
Especially liked the pool, which didn't seem very chlorinated, and the view.

My only complaint was that the service was a bit haphazard. There seemed to be a lot of junior inexperienced staff. One waiter asked if I had finished my meal, when I had put my spoon down to drink my cup of coffee!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sussexART

Reviewed 3 February 2014

A lovely looking hotel, good welcome, nice decor generally. I only stayed for one night to accommodate the safari at Yala NP. My room was quiet and comfortable although some of the many light bulbs needed replacing. I think I must have visited the restaurant at the end of a long buffet day. The food was dry, tepid and tasteless I'm sorry to say. Breakfast was a slightly better experience. The staff were extremely friendly,however, and almost TOO attentive - as soon as I'd placed my knife and fork together, they presented me with the bill to sign!
Not a great experience food-wise, hence the average rating, but others seem to have had a very different experience, so hopefully it was a 'one-off'.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EluwaiLady
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Aesthetically pleasing hotel. Extremely well staffed. On arrival we were offered ice, cold, frozen towels to cool down with and a fresh cucumber and mint juice! Nice touch!
Clean and modern with nicely manicured grounds. Lovely looking swimming pool.

Rooms were very well appointed and comfortable. Exception being toilet is far too close to the shower bumping knees and head sitting down.
Comfortable balcony with good view.

The food was really exceptional. There was a wide range of dishes in buffet style for both dinner and breakfast. All cooked to perfection. Sri Lankan cuisine and European dishes with a slight twist. The sous-chef was excellent at explaining/showing the dishes to all guests so everyone knew what they were eating.

The bar offers cocktails! Which was a first out of many of the hotels we stayed in. It was nice to relax in the evening, outside next to the pool and small lake in the hotel grounds (with ducks, geese and peacocks) cocktail in hand.
The bar and restaurant staff were always ready to help.

We were disappointed to only stay one day and night! We were seriously considering prolonging our stay here because it was so enjoyable.
Definitely recommendable and would most certainly return.

2  Thank Missminxy1990
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had an enjoyable stay at the Priyankara Hotel. The setting is really peaceful, with an attractive pool and a view of the paddy field next door, which makes it great for anyone interested in bird-watching as you can see all sorts of birds from the grounds of the hotel. The rooms with balconies are really nice, particularly if you fancy sunbathing in the morning.

The staff were friendly and the food was good and reasonably priced. We will stay here again if we come back to Sri Lanka

1  Thank pazza71
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We are here right now and it's the best hotel out of the past four that we have been in.
The rooms are lovely and the food is great. I really can't thing of anything negative to say.
It is approximately 15 mins by car away from Yala Safari park which is a must.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tez197831
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We had an enjoyable stay at the Priyankara Hotel. The setting is really peaceful, with an attractive pool and a view of the paddy field next door, which makes it great for anyone interested in bird-watching as you can see all sorts of birds (kingfishers, bee eaters, egrets etc) from the grounds of the hotel. The rooms with balconies are really nice, particularly if you fancy sunbathing in the morning. Ours was 238 which had a little balcony with sun lounger and a good view out over the paddy field. The decor in our room was quite stylish, a sort of neutral jungle-chic style, let down slightly by tired-looking towels and bathmats which were used as rugs in the room as well as in the bathroom - an easy thing to sort that would raise the standard of the room. We had lunch on the day we arrived which was tasty and fairly reasonably priced, and then had the evening buffet as part of the half board rate. Despite other more strongly-worded reviews about the food, in general we found that although not spectacular, it was fine - there's plenty of choice and it was all reasonably tasty. Having a buffet wouldn't be our choice and we didn't do this anywhere else on our two-week trip, but you are reasonably far from other restaurants at the Priyankara, and if you do a full-day safari - getting up at 4.30am and not returning until 6pm - the evening buffet is certainly the most convenient option when the idea of going out and finding anywhere else after such a long day seems too much like hard work! Other than the small niggles with the room decor/linen, the only other issue we found was around the hotel's organisation and the varying language ability of the staff. On the day we went to Yala, we were instructed to pick up our take-away breakfast (it's worth noting that you can ask for this if you'll miss the regular breakfast - mention it to reception the night before) yet when we arrived at 5am they were still putting these together, and seemed to have no idea who had ordered what - very disorganised which nearly made us late for our jeep driver. Also I phoned both reception and the restaurant on our second day to check what time breakfast was served until, and neither of the staff could understand what I was asking. In general all of the staff were very pleasant and accommodating, but for a busy hotel that sees so many foreign visitors I think it's not unreasonable to expect a basic level of English, and this definitely wasn't consistent (although some staff spoke good English). In summary, we enjoyed our stay - the issues mentioned above were minor annoyances rather than major issues - and I'd say this is a solid, reliable choice if you are staying in Tissa - although consider not going with the half-board if you've overdone it on buffets elsewhere. Also a word of warning: we asked the hotel to arrange a taxi for us from Tissa - Tangalle, and although our driver was friendly and polite, his driving was awful. We had a far better and less scary experience with the driver that we had booked from Ella - Tissa. Although he's based in Ella he will travel to do transfers in other parts of the island so I'd recommend contacting him - he was incredibly courteous, spoke very good English and was a very safe driver. His name is Lanaka (pronounced Lanka) and his contact details are: 0094 724099117

Reviewed 17 January 2014

My wife and i stayed one night at Priyankara when we went to the Kataragama temple. The room was small - but nice enough - though one of the french windows were off the hinges (this was attended to pronto - which was much appreciated). We were disappointed that we did not get a room with a 'view' though !

The breakfast was really tasty - and service all round was with a smile. I personally loved overlooking the paddy fields whilst having my breakfast !

For the price you pay - an excellent choice !

Room Tip: Choose an upper room with a view - not all rooms have a view - so choose one with a view as the view...