“Amazing food, despite outside appearance!”
Review of New Cabana

New Cabana
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Small road side eatery in Tissa serving the best local food we tasted in Sri Lanka and at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We went to this restaurant following a personal recommendation, and we were not disappointed. We had the fabulous jumbo prawns, and lovely salads and noodles. The chef was very friendly and accommodating, and we enjoyed the food so much that we returned the following evening. He could not have been friendlier, and made a big effort to prepare a special table for us, and even brought along a friend to sing traditional Sri Lankan songs for us. This was the best food we have eaten in Sri Lanka and we cannot recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had excellent jumbo prawns there. Price is average but food was excellent! Jumbo prawns were served with a very good mango salad.
Even if the restaurant is not the best looking one, the flavoury familial cooking , with generous portions really worth the price. We even had a third jumbo prawn offered!
I would definitely eat there again if i ever come back to Tissa and recommand it.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Niroshan, the owner and the cook, is a very friendly person and a great cook!
We went to eat in his restaurant the evening we stopped in Tissa: he prepared for us fresh Rice and Curry which was very (very) tasty!
We had the chance to chat with him and to know a bit more about his family and we spent a lovely hour there.

I definitely suggest to stop by of you are in Tissa.

Mari and Alberto (Italy)

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the cabanas at the rear of the restaurant and have never been so appalled in all my many years of travels by the arrogant pushy manager. Condemning all other restaurants on the strip as dirty with poor food I was initially reluctant to purchase anything from this man as I do not like those kind of tactics. On returning to my room with a kotthu rotti he warned us never to eat street food in Sri Lanka as we would end up in hospital. Best eat in my clean restaurant was his advice ... I ordered a pot of coffee ( with tax ) at 480 rupees making it the most expensive coffee we had ordered which surprised me considering we were in a road side ramshackle eatery. If I had a pound every time he stuck is menu and review book in my face, knocking on my room door I would be able to retire. Seems like a classic case of triple your prices when in the guide book which is fair play but to condemn other businesses in the surrounding area who serve excellent rice and curry ( that didn't make me sick) really angered me. Morally wrong.
The two cabanas ( freshly built since the guide book recommendation ) were very nice and were a good price but with the man bothering you every 5 minutes with jeep safaris and pressure to eat his food amongst his tales you will not relax.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had a wonderful late lunch at New Cabanas! When we arrived we asked them what fresh seafoos they had and were then served the biggest and juiciest prawns I`ve ever had. We also tried the prawn curry, which was great. The service was friendly and the dessert and coffee made the perfect ending. They also have really nice rooms for Bed and Breakfast (currently only two but two more on the way) !