“beautiful atmosphere,lovely people”

Ranked #45 of 80 Tissamaharama B&B and Inns
Derby, Australia
“beautiful atmosphere,lovely people”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

we stayed at this guesthouse for a day and we can definitely recommend it to everyone. the location is very quiet,just 200m from the lake and a few metres from shops,we had a lovely dinner and we could also book the safari trip to yala directly from the guest house.there is a big variety of rooms,smaller ones,bigger ones,ones with a/c or non a/c.we stayed at the cheapest one (1000rupees per room)and we were very happy with everything.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank izzkka

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in January 2014 and enjoyed the friendly vibe there are plenty of other young travelers so staying solo was not in the least bit lonely plenty of people to chat to and cold beer.

The food was great I had rice and curry as well as a very delicious chicken mince spaghetti bolognaise very filling.

Saman is the friendly manager at the moment working with his brother Lucky who is the owner & happened to be there.

The wifi worked well and Saman arranged a Shared jeep for me to Yala which really made the cost worthwhile.

Full marks I would happily recommend this guest house to any travelers visiting Tissa or Yala

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank Chilledvibe
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This place is completely made by the friendliness of the staff and willingness to go above and beyond to help your stay be as enjoyable as possible. Jayanther (the safari man) is such a genuinely good guy with amazing knowledge and ability to spot some amazing wildlife.

You've got to sample their curries too- the best in Sri Lanka!

Room Tip: You'll need an air con room!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank LauraBusby
Mito, Japan
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed here two nights. The owner and staff are very welcoming and attentive. Anything you need, just ask and they will help you out. I only planned to stay one night and visit Yala (which was set up by the hotel) on safari but after getting a little dehydrated on the safari, I stayed another night. The staff were great and helped me out a lot making sure I was ok. The food made by the owner is also good. The room was also great and the surrounding area is very quiet and fairly close to a beautiful lake, temples and shops. The cost of a tuk tuk from the bus station to the hotel was only 50 rupees but there were many touts who will approach you. The staff also helped me get to my next location (Ella). I would recommend this hotel to solo travels, family, groups, etc.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank davidsO923JI
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My guesthouse in Arugam Bay recommended and arranged this hotel for me.
When I got there, there was nobody. Just me. I did not want to stay, but I decided to stay.
I had a good chat with the owner. The room was really good.
When I had dinner, there where some more people in the hotel. Dinner was really good and the people and staff were nice as well.
From here you can book your safari. You will get picked up at 5am. And they will make you a take-away breakfast. (Take some extra with you, as it is not much what you get).
After the safari I had lunch. It was a very good curry!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Jolanda K
Negombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My friends and I went here for one night, because we wanted to visit the Yala national park. This place was perfect for that.
The rooms are nice and tidy and with A/C, so we couldn't be any happier. The chef (And owner) prepairs good Sri Lankan cousin btw.

The staff is very friendly and smiling, and we felt very welcome - Highly recommendable hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Neel L
Copenhagen
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here with a couple of friends for one night while on tour with SriShannon Tours.
The food is being prepared by the owner himself who is an excellent chef, and everything is served by the most smiling and friendly person I've met for a long time. A jeep for safari in Yala was arranged by the hotel, and we were even given a small lunch basket to take with us. Very thoughtful. The rooms were nice with air conditioning and all, all as can be expected.
This was by far the cheapest place we stayed in SL as well. Great place

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends