“All very nice, except the beds”

Lakeview Hecla Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hecla Island
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Spent one night for a wedding here, the room was dark, it needs more lighting. there is no light at the desk at all. Beds were sleep number that only worked half the time, no number display to know what you had adjusted it to and were very uncomfortable plus we kept hitting our shins on the bed platform underneath. Bathroom sink spout is too close to the edge of the sink and water kept going everywhere but in the sink. Only the one mirror in the bathroom that was not big enough for one person to brush their teeth (see comment on water everywhere) while another was putting on makeup or drying their hair. However, Staff were great, very friendly and helpful, and the food was wonderful. Price was reasonable at $120 per night once they get the beds replaced I would probably return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We're so happy to see the Lakeview make a go of it with this jewel of a location in Manitoba.
We stayed at the Lakeview Resort Hecla in June and September for 3 day getaways. The hotel was poorly managed under the previous owners, service throughout was not great and staff mostly seemed unhappy and it was more expensive. The Lakeview Hecla has the same welcoming feel as the Lakeview Gimli and carries the regional Icelandic theme in the art and even the spa products. It has friendly staff many from the area who are happy to tell you about all the things to do in the park.

Lakeview was obviously left with some issues to fix (for example the pool areas, landscaping, room repairs) but it seems they are working on these over time. The suites still have sliding doors in the bathrooms that don't lock or close properly, hoping this is changed the next time I stay in one. Really appreciate the pet friendly rooms so we can bring the whole family.

The restaurant was excellent during our June visit, same dishes not as good in September and not always as described on the menu. For example the 'creamy' Caesar salad dressing was spicy and oil-based the weekend we were there. So some consistency issues there that hopefully will be addressed. The upstairs restaurant that was higher end under the previous owners is still closed so this is your only option unless you drive up the highway a bit to the Marina restaurant (summer months only).

House-keeping was professional and well done.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 queen sized beds are more bright and open vs. the suites where the windows are only in...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dakota1023
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Price was reasonable at about $200 for both wife and me to play 18 hole of golf with a cart and stay overnight, including 2 - $10 vouchers for the restaurant. Long way to drive otherwise. Scenery is great, except for geese on fairways this late in the year. Updated rooms are nice (except the corners of the bed project at shin level - ouch!). Restaurant food and service was fine for dinner and for breakfast. Would return if price remains the same.

If not a golfer, there's public indoor pool with both adult and kids features (did not use). Can rent a fire pit (we didn't) to enjoy the late evening. Free Wifi normally available, but tower had been struck by lightning before we arrived, so no wifi. Can check out free DVDs using credit card for security deposit.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank VandCWpg_
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed there for one night with my hubby, at a suit. They´r rates are very good!
The overall experience was amazing. The food at the restaurant was so good and the service was friendly. The room was just beautiful and we just loved the look of it. We went to the oasis pool and had a very relaxing time in the warm water.
The only thing that bothered us was that it rained during the night and the noise of the rain hitting the outside of the air-condition kept us awake from around 5-6 in the night. I have never heard such noise at a hotel in the rain. This was the first night I was spending away from my baby and had looked forward to a full night, and that just kinda brooke my heart a little bit.
Despite this, I would recommend this hotel at any time! It was overall a wonderful getaway that we enjoyed.. And we do plan on returning one day :)

2  Thank IrisMF
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Just returned from a weekend at this resort with 2 other couples. We have stayed at this resort prior to the Clarion ownership (it was simply out of our price range during this time) and were so glad that it has become an affordable getaway again. From the moment we checked in the staff were great and always willing to do thier best for you.

We were concerned at first when we saw how small the restaurant was but there was no need for concern as we never had a problem getting a table. We had the fish and chips, ribs, and steak dinners all three meals were incredible. For breakfasts we generally had omelets and various other egg styles. Everything was cooked perfectly, as well as great coffee that was always piping hot :). Thanks Stefan and Danya!

The rooms were beautiful and clean. The beds are adjustable, you know the type where you can pick your number. We had a little incident the first night where all the air went out of one side of the bed during the night, when we told the front desk in the morning someone came to fix it and the next night it was perfect. I am sure if we called in the middle of the night they would have rectified the problem right away.

My husband golfed and said the course was wonderful, I went to the spa. Even though someone had called in sick that day the 2 women in the spa did a wonderful job handling everything. Our entire group made use of the adult pool area.I really enjoyed the mineral pool. The website states that the pool area is licenced but I didn't see anyone serving drinks but I didn't ask anyone either:)

I also walked on some of the hiking trails as it was a beautiful day and a few others in our group rented bikes. We all really enjoyed our day. The old facility use to have a gym which was wonderful to use when the weather wasn't as nice, we use to play volleyball and badminton. The hotel should consider having something like this again or some pool tables just to give people some options when the weather forces you to stay inside.

I will be coming back to this resort again and recommend it to anyone who loves the outdoors and a little pampering.

5  Thank Debbie-Mike-M
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I'll preface my review with the acknowledgement that the prices are VERY, VERY reasonable. The rooms, the spa, the restaurant, all much lower than similar properties I've been to. i'm going to start with the positives, because I really enjoyed this place, and I want that to be the overall impression. I only include the negatives to give a fully-rounded impression.

Have I mentioned the PRICES?? Awesome. The bed was incredibly comfy, the rooms are nicely appointed, and the windows open (major bonus for me). Bath products are Bath and Body Works - nice! The resort is pet friendly and we will definitely take advantage of that on our next visit. it was delightful to see happy doggy faces walking through the hotel, and everyone was on their best behaviour.

The spa is beautiful, and the old pool section has been converted to a mineral bath experience, for ADULTS ONLY. What an awesome feature! I despise the noise and chaos of children at the pool, and here they have their own section with splash pad, waterslide etc... and can shout and play to their hearts content without disturbing elders (haha).

The lobby is just beautiful, and the grounds are lovely as well. We look forward to taking advantage of the beach with our dog next summer - a rare treat for those without a private cottage.

Service was friendly and relaxed. We placed a call to the front desk for a corkscrew and received it within 5 minutes. Room service was similarly speedy. Food prices are on par with mid-range restaurants, NOT as expensive as the typical hotel restaurant. Food was not spectacular, but quite good, about on par with a Moxies or Earls I would say.

One theme that seemed to repeat was that the "little details" were missing. The room wasn't as clean as I might have liked, the service at the restaurant was very slow, the spa while nice, was missing a few of the more luxurious details I usually enjoy (towels only on the massage beds made the treatment chilly, I had to ask for a bottle of water, no soap in the shower etc... Again, niggling details really). The adults only pool area was pretty dated. Our "sleep numbers" bed didn't work. The gift shop was skimpy and had no medical supplies like Tylenol, Pepto etc... (though the front desk had some advil/tylenol to give out for free).

Overall, I highly recommend this property, and we intend to make this an annual trip.

Room Tip: Pet friendly suites are available!
1  Thank Carrie L
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is a beautiful place, however, the price of the rooms were expensive, considering they have no exhaust fans in the bathrooms, the carpets were badly stained and if you decide to comply with their "green suggestions", there is no advantage in terms of room discount. We had a wedding event at the resort and after the event, there were liquor bottles missing(could not reconcile the items brought to event) and the kitchen staff opened all bottles of wine (60), prior to dinner; ignoring instructions given to initially open only 2 per table. Consequently, we had several opened, unused bottles of wine that could not be returned. Yet, they still had the nerve to automatically add gratuity to the invoice, which they should have discounted, due to the issues encountered. Other than that, it was a beautiful wedding.

Room Tip: The A/C was a little disturbing on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jer S

Been to Lakeview Hecla Resort? Share your experiences!