“Well worth the walk”
Review of Cave of Zeus

Cave of Zeus
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Filoti
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Now it is a hike to get there not so much in distance but in lack of path. My suggestion is to fill up your water bottle at the fresh water spring below before you walk. I would also walk in a small group as you could easily hurt yourself and fall. But when you get there it is amazing, you will need a torch to navigate your way in and out. However I highly recommend turning them off and just looking/ listening. You may also find it helpful to be familiar with the local stories of the cave.

4  Thank ElizabethS1989
"spray"
"mount"
"bells"

Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the cave.
After long walk up to the cave (I took the donkey and was still exhausted) it is then a way down to the bottom of the cave - and up again!
No guides but my 11 year old enjoyed the trip. The cave was impressive though. The walk down again not so.
Not expensive as children free.

2  Thank Nigel S
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Went to hike to the Cave of Zeus which is about a 20 minute walk on the way to the summit of Mt Zeus. The hike isn't easy per se, meaning it is not a well groomed trail the entire way. There are places where careful footing is essential and there is also some clambering on rocks. My wife and I are in our late 20's and in better than average shape and we had no trouble at all.

Once you get there the cave is very neat. Wished we had flash lights to go deeper inside, although there was a bat flying around, so I'm not sure how far we would have gone anyway!

Bring water though - there's no shelter from the sun at all!

6  Thank Rob H
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Shame on me because I was totally unprepared. The book guide did not mention that this is serious hiking, scrambling uphill on hands and feet amid some very slippery rocks. If you don't manage to kill yourself by slipping off these, don't worry because then you'll tumble into the prickly bushes to one side, scream in pain and then lunge away over the steep cliff on the other. I took it all in stride since it was my own fault that I was inappropriately dressed for this outing. The goats were a marvel, balancing on the rocks high above us. Yep, there is a lot of goat poop too. It took us about twenty minutes to the top, going at a moderate to fast pace (in a dress and flip flops-fortunately no mishaps). We got to the top but did not enter the cave as the goats were guarding it and we did not have any lighting with us. Still, it was an adventure.

11  Thank Niah707
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 June 2013

It's a cave, and even though there are no carvings saying 'Zeus woz here' we can be fairly sure that's true. The roof has a lot of features of many-coloured rock, so take a torch, especially as it goes back a long way, is very dark inside, and the floor is uneven and slippery, with a few big holes you would not want to fall into.

But beware - access is NOT for the faint-hearted. Firstly while driving up, the road is steep and narrow, and in places has an unfenced drop on the right hand side as you ascend. We were glad we didn't encounter any vehicles coming down on that stretch! There is no real car park, and you have to try and find a space at the end of the road, where it's just big enough to turn a small car. From there a short walk brings you to a lovely spring with fresh drinking water, and a large paved area with plenty of shady space to sit for a picnic. Beyond there the sign says it's 20 minutes to the cave, and that would be the one-way time unless you are a mountain goat. The track is good for 6 or 7 minutes, but then turns into a steep clamber up rocks which are slippery in places. Good footwear essential.

6  Thank Kate S