“Fascinating alternative to lying on the beach” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Filoti
Gloucester, England
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Fascinating alternative to lying on the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Although there are easier routes to the cave, we followed Dieter Graf's book, Walking on Naxos, and hiked up from Filoxi around the side of the mountain. We set off wearing sturdy boots and long trousers and were very glad that we came well prepared. The ascent from the spring to the cave is steep and not for the faith-hearted. Even moving about inside the cave is tricky but definitely worth taking the time to explore, and a torch is highly recommended. Be warned however, should you choose to continue your ascent to the top of Zas mountain, this climb is even more arduous. Good fun though and great exercise. Certainly beats spending another day on the beach.

Visited May 2014

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Well worth the walk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Now it is a hike to get there not so much in distance but in lack of path. My suggestion is to fill up your water bottle at the fresh water spring below before you walk. I would also walk in a small group as you could easily hurt yourself and fall. But when you get there it is amazing, you will need a torch to navigate your way in and out. However I highly recommend turning them off and just looking/ listening. You may also find it helpful to be familiar with the local stories of the cave.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank ElizabethS1989
Dorridge, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Tiring but worthwhile”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the cave.
After long walk up to the cave (I took the donkey and was still exhausted) it is then a way down to the bottom of the cave - and up again!
No guides but my 11 year old enjoyed the trip. The cave was impressive though. The walk down again not so.
Not expensive as children free.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Nigel S
Halifax, Canada
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Well worth the walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Went to hike to the Cave of Zeus which is about a 20 minute walk on the way to the summit of Mt Zeus. The hike isn't easy per se, meaning it is not a well groomed trail the entire way. There are places where careful footing is essential and there is also some clambering on rocks. My wife and I are in our late 20's and in better than average shape and we had no trouble at all.

Once you get there the cave is very neat. Wished we had flash lights to go deeper inside, although there was a bat flying around, so I'm not sure how far we would have gone anyway!

Bring water though - there's no shelter from the sun at all!

Visited June 2013
6 Thank Rob H
Amherst, Massachusetts
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Arduous hike so be prepared”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Shame on me because I was totally unprepared. The book guide did not mention that this is serious hiking, scrambling uphill on hands and feet amid some very slippery rocks. If you don't manage to kill yourself by slipping off these, don't worry because then you'll tumble into the prickly bushes to one side, scream in pain and then lunge away over the steep cliff on the other. I took it all in stride since it was my own fault that I was inappropriately dressed for this outing. The goats were a marvel, balancing on the rocks high above us. Yep, there is a lot of goat poop too. It took us about twenty minutes to the top, going at a moderate to fast pace (in a dress and flip flops-fortunately no mishaps). We got to the top but did not enter the cave as the goats were guarding it and we did not have any lighting with us. Still, it was an adventure.

Visited May 2013