“Sailfish on the Fly During My 9th Stay at Bahia La Tortuga”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guerrero
Bahia La Tortuga Fishing Lodge
Washington State
“Sailfish on the Fly During My 9th Stay at Bahia La Tortuga”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

After 8 previous trips to Bahia La Tortuga, I consider owners John and Angelica Lorenz to be good friends, first, and lodge proprietors second. I've been keeping in touch with John, between trips, for the past several years. I enjoy hearing about the fishing activities and it's rare for us to go more than a couple of months without some form of communication. Having said that, I get a pretty good perspective on the inshore and offshore fishing, throughout the year. All of my previous trips have fallen in the months between October and December, and I am currently booked to fish there again (my 10th trip) the first part of January, 2014. I had really never considered fishing there during the summer months. Not until John and I exchanged several phone calls and emails, in early June.
I had always preferred inshore fishing, to offshore, due to the fact that our inshore fishing was usually always fast and furious, and I love the action. It's a personal preference, and although I'd usually devote at least one day to offshore fishing, I was always eager to spend the bulk of my fishing time, inshore. That changed during my last trip, in December of 2012, when my fishing buddy and I brought 19 Sailfish to the boat, in 4 days of fishing. Blue water was just a few miles offshore, and therefore we were trolling for Sails shortly after leaving the marina, without the usual long hauls to the fishing waters. It would be an understatement to say that the Sailfish fishing was anything short of spectacular. I believe we had a total of 4 doubles during those 4 days of fishing, and brought every one to the boat, on our own relatively light gear. It was a blast, and I was now a convert (kind of) to offshore fishing, although it's hard to describe it as "offshore", considering how close we were to shore.
OK, now more about my latest trip. John and I had been keeping in touch, as we usually do, and he was telling me that fishing had been really hot (not just the temperature), and they were taking many Sails, and also getting into a lot of Yellowfin Tuna. They were having to go 15-20 miles offshore, but once they found the fish, they were really enjoying some great fishing. That got my fish blood pumping, and I told John that I'd like to come down for a few days and get in on the action. It was going to be a long time before my January trip, and I didn't want to wait that long before getting back down there. He said: "Come on down!", and so I booked a short, 4 day stay at the end of June. I have never gone down there, solo, and due to some other commitments here at home, I had to reduce the length of my usual stay.
Oh, I failed to mention that John has been diligently working on developing and honing the fine art of offshore fly fishing for Sails. Not only have some of his clients been successful in catching Sailfish, and a couple of other species, on a fly rod, but John himself has brought Sailfish to the boat on fly rod, and is "hooked" on this technique. He told me: "We're going to get you a Sailfish on a fly rod." My first thought was: "Yeah, right."
I'm not going to go into a long narrative about the next 3 days of fishing, because I've already rambled on too long, and haven’t even gotten to the details of this latest trip.
On our first morning on the water, we spent the first 2 hours inshore, hoping to pick up a couple of Bonito for bait "teasers." I caught one, but the action was very slow and so we headed offshore. When we got to the 100 fathom line, John's deck hand prepared the teaser baits and John got the fly rod rigged up and ready for action.
We began to troll two teaser baits, and I was "at the ready" with the fly rod. My optimism was less than high, and I had resolved to the fact that this was going to be an effort in futility.
We hadn't been trolling long, when my daydreaming was abruptly shattered by the unmistakable sound of a reel "going off", as a Sailfish grabbed one of the hookless, teaser baits.
John quickly grabbed one pole and his deckhand the other, and as they furiously began to bring the teasers toward the boat, I was quickly trailing the large, popper type fly back toward the incoming teaser baits. About the time the fly and teasers were about to pass, I saw a swirl as the popper disappeared. I was trying to keep composed, and respond correctly, which meant I was to quickly attempt to set the hook by pulling back sharply on the fly line, while slightly bringing the rod to one side. This all happened in a nanosecond, and I suddenly felt a painful burning sensation across my left index finger, as the powerful fish peeled line off of my reel at hyper speed, effectively leaving a friction burn across my finger before I could release the line.
I won't bore the reader with the details of the epic battle, but it was memorable. I'm not sure how long it took to bring the fish to the boat, but my ability to continue the fight much longer, was ebbing quickly. Thankfully, I had a very good hook set, and as long as I, or the equipment, didn't fail, that fish was caught.
If I were a betting man, which I just happen to be, I'd have bet anything that this wasn't going to happen. I'd actually hooked and boated my first fish on a fly rod, on my first attempt. It was the "perfect storm" of events that morning, and I was very happy to "give John big kudos", because he has definitely learned how to do this. He was an excellent teacher and coach, and I think I was a pretty good student.
I did some inshore fishing the following two days, and picked up a few smaller Dorado and a very nice Jack, but this Sailfish on a fly will always be the highlight of my fishing out of Bahia La Tortuga Fishing Lodge. Will I try it again sometime? Perhaps. If I don't, I'm content to know that I did it, and was successful. It was truly an exciting and rewarding experience. Thanks John.
So, I'll be back again in January, and look forward to whatever the fishing gods have in store for me. I know it will be a great trip, as have all my previous 8 trips to Bahia La Tortuga.
Tight lines......................................

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank tallnxee

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rochester, Indiana
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Our trip didn't start off very good as flights were delayed and changed upon arriving at the airport, I emailed and called John Lorenz the proprietor and he assured me this was not a problem, whenever we arrive in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo there would be a guy there at the airport holding a sign with our name. Believe it or not there was 7 hours after we were slated to arrive. He quickly grabbed our bags and loaded us into a car with a driver and off we were. We arrived just days after a tropical storm moved through and John informed us the fishing was going to be tough, we'd catch fish, just going to have to work for them. Well we did catch fish and it was a tough week, but thats fishing. My father had fished here before and had an amazing trip, so I know and can see the potential of the fishery, just bad timing. John and his wife Angie along with their staff run a top notch operation. Having hunted, fished, and traveled all over the world I found the quality of the meals and level of the service extremely better than most fishing lodges or camps. As others have mentioned, if you need all inclusive with excursions, massages, and shopping this isn't for you. This is a remote Mexican fishing village after all. If you want to fish for trophy saltwater species and do it in relative comfort and luxury this is the place for. We had cold A/C, wifi, clean rooms, flushing toilets, running water, cold beer, amazing authentic food, a gorgeous view of the ocean, and some fishing to go along with it. A return is eminent.

Room Tip: Offshore fishing best in Dec/Jan
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 3duckdave
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We had an amazing trip to Bahia La Tortuga Fishing Lodge this June. On route to the lodge we were unsure what to expect as we drove through towns and villages but when we arrived any doubts we may have had rapidly disappeared. As soon as we walked through the gates we were greeted with smiles and a cold Margarita. Our luggage was taken right to our room and we were seated at a table with a fantastic plate of guacamole and chips. We were the only visitors during our trip and were spoiled rotten! The food was amazing and the fishing was even better. John not only hooked us into a cool dozen sails on our first offshore trip but we also got to experience crazy top water action with yellowfin tuna as well as a massive school of inshore dorado. Double headers were non stop and the bite was on. We landed a total of 66 fish in five days, 6 different species. Unbelievable. We saw countless dolphins and turtles. John even dropped us over the side a couple of times so we could snorkel the break wall in the marina at the end of a fishing day!

The lodge is very well kept and clean. The staff does a fantastic job of anticipating your needs and will go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your stay. The beach is steps away from the lodge and is more often than not empty.

If you're looking for an all inclusive bum pat, this may not be the place for you. However if you are interested in catching big fish, eating amazing authentic food and making good friends, we highly recommend Bahia La Tortuga fishing lodge.

This was the first of many returns.

Thanks to John and Angie and all the staff at the lodge for the trip of a lifetime.

See you soon :)

Gary and Tessa

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MissJacks0n
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I had an amazing time at Bahia la Tortuga fishing lodge. Owner John Lorenz really knows how to put you on the fish!!. His passion for fishing and making sure you the client catch fish was above and beyond any other placed I've fished.

The great level of service doesn't stop there. The food is simply amazing... as well as the great service provided by his staff at the lodge. From the moment that you arrive the staff does everything to make you feel welcome and part of the family here.

The rooms are nice and clean (not a lot of extras) just AC , bed, shower, bathroom. the water pressure in the shower isn't that strong ... But who cares !!! your in a location that is way off the tourist zones with access to fishing waters that is virtually untouched!!

So ....for once in lifetime experience I would highly recommend Bahia La Tortuga Fishing Lodge as a destination when looking for a place to escape the tourist crowds and have amazing fishing experiences.

I can't wait to be able to return to this place and make more memories that will last a Lifetime :)

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Dgallaher
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Third trip to Bahia La Totuga and the second with my son. Went in May for a different fish species experience and were thrilled with the trip as usual. Fished off shore two days and found amazing tuna feeding frenzies both times. Mixed in with the birds and Tuna were at least 1000 porpoises. One of the most memorable and amazing experiences I have ever had. The food at the lodge is always excellent but this time it was totally over the top. Had fresh caught tuna sashimi and also tuna steaks both out of this world delicious. Next trip is booked for January 14 and it will be a long wait for me as I just love this place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank steven a
Simcoe, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2013

John and Angie Lorenz run an amazing fishing lodge in the middle nowhere. From arrival at the airport onward, everything thing runs simply and confidently. Yet, as itinerary changes arise changes are seamlessly adopted.
The fishery was great, even though we were off peak. John's knowledge and passion of the fishery is deep and he sincerely wants each guest to achieve their fishing objectives. Angie's kitchen and staff were immaculate. Great service, tidy rooms, fresh meals and very pleasant staff.
The communal dining area is funky and fun and its not hard to get a fun poker game going.
The pricing is the best value in fishing that I have come across in 30 years of travel fishing.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mike F
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We just came back from a 7 days trip at Bahia la Tortuga Fishing Lodge ! The whole trip was amazing : the host, the lodge, the food and of corse the fishing ! Everyday the staff took care of us as we were part of their family ! For our first trip we caught a lot of different species : rooster, Dorado, yellowtin tuna and sailfish ! We had so much fun with John and Rodie that we already booked our next trip on November ! Life is good in that lodge and it's a friendly place that you don't want to miss !!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends