Bahia La Tortuga Fishing Lodge
Villa del Sol Resort(Zihuatanejo)
US$454
US$444
Emporio Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$69
  • Breakfast included
Pierre Mundo Imperial(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
US$204
US$164
US$60
Fiesta Americana Villas Acapulco(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
US$76
  • Pool
Banyan Tree Cabo Marques(Acapulco)
US$554
US$541
US$405
US$344
Emporio Acapulco Hotel(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
US$70
  • Pool
Las Brisas Acapulco(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
US$140
Hotels.com
Princess Mundo Imperial(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
US$179
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsfishbahia la tortuganext yeartunajohn lorenzmy wife and igreat foodduring our stayfly rodgreat tripsea turtlesblue marlinsierra mackerelannual triplove this placesecond to nonefour days
Reviewed 4 December 2013

If you love to fish and want to enjoy tropical climate the Bahia la Tortuga lodge is somewhere you should visit. It is truly a piece of paradise. My husband and I were there earlier this year but the fishing was poor and despite John’s efforts we only were able to catch a rooster fish, one sailfish and some sierra mackerel. We were so impressed with the atmosphere, food and overall hospitality of John and his wife Angie and their fantastic staff we decided to return.
John and his fleet of fishing guides are uncanny in their ability to find fish, if fish are there, and see that you are able to bring them to the boat. Angie and her helpers keep the grounds and the lodge immaculate. Angie is a phenomenal cook and always presents the food like an artist. If you have special needs or requests every effort is made to meet them. Our second trip was like coming back to family. This time we caught 24 sailfish, 8 Dorado, 6 sharks and a marlin; all in six days fishing. We can only thank everyone at the lodge for a great time and say “We cannot wait to see you again next year!”
submitted by Bernadette Tabor

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bernadette T
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Just returned from our 4th trip visit in 7 years- Bahia la Tortuga is nothing short of an exceptional fishing lodge in a tranquil town in Mexico . John, Angie and their staff have taken this jewel to a new level in terms of overall commitment to being the best value and fishing experience available. While its much simpler, this is way beyond what you will find in the larger resorts on Mexico.

We were welcomed back like family and found the lodge itself to be kept meticulously clean and updated. They have even added a small pool and a palapa on the beach lot below the lodge, while keeping the down home typical Mexico feel in tact. While the lodge itself is an unpretentious Oasis, Puerto Vicente is still a traditional pocket of life with reminders of Ernest Hemmingway-like simplicity.

Fishing was great- our best trip yet. Sailfish, Dorado, Roosterfish, bonito... Fished with John and mostly our long time friend Roady this trip but have fished with other local captains in the past. Boats are bit spartan but have the essentials and they all work hard to find and keep you on the fish. Some days are better than others but always have their heart in the game.

My sons and I are planning to come back again next year!

Room Tip: Rooms are all quiet, air conditioned and secure.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank alaskafishingguy
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Want to thank John and Anghie for
A fantastic trip to there beautiful
Fishing lodge in Mexico. Been on
Many fishing trips but this one was something very special marks out
Of 10 was a very big 10. The staff
are very friendly and polite the lodge is stunning with view to match.
NOW THE FISHING.
Set of from the lodge early in the the morning by car which took 5 minutes to get to the boat where John and Angel the deck hand was
Waiting for us, soon we were on our way hit the fishing grounds on a very quick boat within half an hour. Me and my mate had booked
9 days fishing we caught 48 Darardo 8 Sailfish lots of sharks and small tuna plus others. A special thanks to Angel the deck hand our new friend and John for
A trip of a life time our last day fishing we caught caught 5 sailfish which the sailfish season was just starting. As Arnie would say I'll be back our trip date was 4/10/2013
THANKS TO ALL THE STAFF FROM JON DAVENPORT

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank snuffles07
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Excellent fishing trip with excellent meeting. John, Angie , the Owners of the Lodge, and Rody our capitain. Welcome exceptional, very good food, and confortable rooms !!!!
Lot's of fish : roosters, mahi mahi, jacks, sail fish....Amazing

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank fat f
Reviewed 17 July 2013

After 8 previous trips to Bahia La Tortuga, I consider owners John and Angelica Lorenz to be good friends, first, and lodge proprietors second. I've been keeping in touch with John, between trips, for the past several years. I enjoy hearing about the fishing activities and it's rare for us to go more than a couple of months without some form of communication. Having said that, I get a pretty good perspective on the inshore and offshore fishing, throughout the year. All of my previous trips have fallen in the months between October and December, and I am currently booked to fish there again (my 10th trip) the first part of January, 2014. I had really never considered fishing there during the summer months. Not until John and I exchanged several phone calls and emails, in early June.
I had always preferred inshore fishing, to offshore, due to the fact that our inshore fishing was usually always fast and furious, and I love the action. It's a personal preference, and although I'd usually devote at least one day to offshore fishing, I was always eager to spend the bulk of my fishing time, inshore. That changed during my last trip, in December of 2012, when my fishing buddy and I brought 19 Sailfish to the boat, in 4 days of fishing. Blue water was just a few miles offshore, and therefore we were trolling for Sails shortly after leaving the marina, without the usual long hauls to the fishing waters. It would be an understatement to say that the Sailfish fishing was anything short of spectacular. I believe we had a total of 4 doubles during those 4 days of fishing, and brought every one to the boat, on our own relatively light gear. It was a blast, and I was now a convert (kind of) to offshore fishing, although it's hard to describe it as "offshore", considering how close we were to shore.
OK, now more about my latest trip. John and I had been keeping in touch, as we usually do, and he was telling me that fishing had been really hot (not just the temperature), and they were taking many Sails, and also getting into a lot of Yellowfin Tuna. They were having to go 15-20 miles offshore, but once they found the fish, they were really enjoying some great fishing. That got my fish blood pumping, and I told John that I'd like to come down for a few days and get in on the action. It was going to be a long time before my January trip, and I didn't want to wait that long before getting back down there. He said: "Come on down!", and so I booked a short, 4 day stay at the end of June. I have never gone down there, solo, and due to some other commitments here at home, I had to reduce the length of my usual stay.
Oh, I failed to mention that John has been diligently working on developing and honing the fine art of offshore fly fishing for Sails. Not only have some of his clients been successful in catching Sailfish, and a couple of other species, on a fly rod, but John himself has brought Sailfish to the boat on fly rod, and is "hooked" on this technique. He told me: "We're going to get you a Sailfish on a fly rod." My first thought was: "Yeah, right."
I'm not going to go into a long narrative about the next 3 days of fishing, because I've already rambled on too long, and haven’t even gotten to the details of this latest trip.
On our first morning on the water, we spent the first 2 hours inshore, hoping to pick up a couple of Bonito for bait "teasers." I caught one, but the action was very slow and so we headed offshore. When we got to the 100 fathom line, John's deck hand prepared the teaser baits and John got the fly rod rigged up and ready for action.
We began to troll two teaser baits, and I was "at the ready" with the fly rod. My optimism was less than high, and I had resolved to the fact that this was going to be an effort in futility.
We hadn't been trolling long, when my daydreaming was abruptly shattered by the unmistakable sound of a reel "going off", as a Sailfish grabbed one of the hookless, teaser baits.
John quickly grabbed one pole and his deckhand the other, and as they furiously began to bring the teasers toward the boat, I was quickly trailing the large, popper type fly back toward the incoming teaser baits. About the time the fly and teasers were about to pass, I saw a swirl as the popper disappeared. I was trying to keep composed, and respond correctly, which meant I was to quickly attempt to set the hook by pulling back sharply on the fly line, while slightly bringing the rod to one side. This all happened in a nanosecond, and I suddenly felt a painful burning sensation across my left index finger, as the powerful fish peeled line off of my reel at hyper speed, effectively leaving a friction burn across my finger before I could release the line.
I won't bore the reader with the details of the epic battle, but it was memorable. I'm not sure how long it took to bring the fish to the boat, but my ability to continue the fight much longer, was ebbing quickly. Thankfully, I had a very good hook set, and as long as I, or the equipment, didn't fail, that fish was caught.
If I were a betting man, which I just happen to be, I'd have bet anything that this wasn't going to happen. I'd actually hooked and boated my first fish on a fly rod, on my first attempt. It was the "perfect storm" of events that morning, and I was very happy to "give John big kudos", because he has definitely learned how to do this. He was an excellent teacher and coach, and I think I was a pretty good student.
I did some inshore fishing the following two days, and picked up a few smaller Dorado and a very nice Jack, but this Sailfish on a fly will always be the highlight of my fishing out of Bahia La Tortuga Fishing Lodge. Will I try it again sometime? Perhaps. If I don't, I'm content to know that I did it, and was successful. It was truly an exciting and rewarding experience. Thanks John.
So, I'll be back again in January, and look forward to whatever the fishing gods have in store for me. I know it will be a great trip, as have all my previous 8 trips to Bahia La Tortuga.
Tight lines......................................