“Will return for longer next time”

Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers
Darwin
“Will return for longer next time”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here for only one night on the way further south. Wish, wish, wish we had planned for longer. I booked a room for 3 people (myself and my daughters) so we had a large room, ensuite and small deck all to ourselves with a great view of the river mouth and beach. Our room was quiet except for the sound of the surf and the birds waking in the morning. Food was fantastic, the staff were excellent, and the ethical gift shop gave us lots of small gifts to take back to Australia. The short time were there meant we didn't partake in any of the activities (horse riding, yoga, guided walks) but my kids have already made a plan for this the next time around!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
CintsaSunshine, Public Relations Manager at Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Hi there!

Thank you for taking the time to share your views about Buccaneers on TripAdvisor - we really appreciate it. I'm glad that you had a great time here and that your girls are already planning their next trip to Chintsa - there is definitely too much to do for just one night!

See you next time,

April

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in a dorm. Would definitely come back.

Pros
- beautiful views
- clean dorms
- close to the beach
- their dogs will follow you around, just to make sure you're safe (very friendly dogs)
- food was great but the portions are huge!
- free daily activities and wine

Cons
- yoga classes were advertised but when we arrived for class, the teacher never showed up. The staff doesn't even have the teacher's phone number to confirm if they were going to show up
- asked for surf lessons each day but was told that the surf teacher wasn't teaching that day
- canoes are advertised but there are none available
- wi-fi/internet is not free
- communal kitchen was a mess
- road to the hostel is very rocky, so if you're driving a rental, beware

Room Tip: Blue dorm room is clean and has a great view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Hi there,

Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor - we really appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you had a great experience overall and that Bella looked after you :)

I apologize for the fact that some of the activities that we offer were unavailable during your stay. I'm not sure exactly what the weather was like when you were here but sometimes we cannot run surf schools because of the water and wind conditions. We also only have one surf instructor at present and he needs a break every now and then! Our canoes are currently in the process of being repaired so have been unavailable for a week or so. Understandable circumstances but a frustrating experience for guests who stay over that time, I apologize again for that and I will bring these issues up with the Price family.

As far as the road is concerned it is a gravel road and needs to be taken very slowly in small cars - we will be grading the road before high season in December, as we do every year. I'm sure future guests will appreciate your advice on this one!

The communal kitchen is currently run under the understanding that guests clean up after themselves but we have had a few comments recently about the state of the kitchen and need to look into a different solution. Thanks for bringing this issue up.

We look forward to seeing you next time you're in Chintsa :)

Have a great day,

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We only stayed 1 night - this was a stopping point for us so that we didn't have to stay on the Baz Bus all day long. This place was great! We could have easily stayed our whole vacation there! The views were amazing, the atmosphere was fantastic, the food was excellent, and the day trips and activities were plentiful. We chose horseback riding on the beach and were NOT disappointed! Would come back to SA JUST to stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a cottage! Trust me! The views are spectacular!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hello!

It's so great to read your positive feedback - thanks for taking the time to share it. Let us know when you're on your way back for a holiday :)

Take care,

St. John's, Newfoundland And Labrador, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed at Buccaneers in June 2013. I had a great experience. Loved the beach, got a surfing lesson, friendly and helpful staff, food was AMAZING! Dorm room was plain but functional. My only complaint was the communal kitchen - it was very dirty. I understand this is a "self-service" type of kitchen, but I think you need to really enforce the clean-up-after-yourself policy or else put someone in charge of cleaning it. Overall, a great value and I would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Hi there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your views on TripAdvisor ! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and made the most of the beach, our surf instructor and the delish meals!

I will pass your concerns about the communal kitchen on to the Price family - I'm sure we can come up with a solution.

Have an awesome day,

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 19 September 2013

It was our 2nd time in cintsa at the buccaneers and once again, we were never disappointed. The place feels like home as the environment is very chilled and relaxed. Its about 30km from east london. The beach is a stone throw away from the backpackers and so is the town itself. There's a pool with a place to play volleyball right next to it in the sand. There's often volleyball contests by the pool which are always great if you are a competitive individual and like sport. The place is just great, will certainly be returning in the near future.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
CintsaSunshine, Public Relations Manager at Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hi there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback on TripAdvisor - we really appreciate you sharing your views.

I'm so glad that we could make you feel at home here at Buccs and we can't wait to have you here again soon :)

Have an great day,

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This place is amazing. I stayed here while being a volunteer with the inkwenkwezi game reserve. The people, the atmosphere, everything is heaven on earth. Whether you want to relax on the beach, read a book in the grass, or put your feet up and take a nap on a porch, all you will find here is peace and serenity and maybe some good drinks and dancing when the sun goes down just to top off the night. I really hope to return soon.

• Stayed October 2012
Hello!

So great to hear your review of Buccaneers - thank you for being the 100th person to review our very special spot! And thank you for sharing your positive feedback about Buccs - we really appreciate it.

Hope to see you again in Chintsa soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I had an amazing time at Buccaneers! Whilst I only stayed for two nights, I felt completely at home there by the end of my stay and will definitely go back one day. I was supposed to stay at the campsite, however heavy rains meant that the campsite was flooded, so I was upgraded to a dorm bed, which was fun. The property is beautiful and peaceful with one of the most amazing views I've ever seen. The vibe at the bar at night was chilled out: people were friendly, relaxed, and lots of fun. I had two epic nights. It was also fun during the day. You can do surfing lessons, a scavenger hunt, or even get a massage, plus much more! I would highly recommend this place to anybody looking for a great place to stay on the wild coast. I can't wait until I have a chance to go back there and relive my experiences from last time.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
CintsaSunshine, Public Relations Manager at Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Hi there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor - I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and took advantage of all the fun things to do here in Chintsa!

Look forward to having you with us next time :)

Kind regards,

April
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chintsa
Prana Lodge
Crawford's Beach Lodge
Crawford's Beach Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chintsa
Arendsnes Holiday and Conference Centre

Been to Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers? Share your experiences!