“I wish I could call it home”

Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers
Melboune, Australia
“I wish I could call it home”
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We spent a few months traveling along the coast of South Africa last year and this place became the source of most of our fun/drunken backpacker stories. Buccs is set in a beautiful corner of the world with a chilled vibe and a crew who's mission is to make your stay a fun one. There's heaps of activities offered, including bike rides into a neighboring village and horse rides along the beach. I wish I could say we took part in those activities but the beach and buzzing bar kept us pretty occupied. So no, maybe this isn't the place for your luxurious safari tent holiday in Africa, but for travelers looking for a relaxed place to make some new friends, this is a must-stop.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
arlenfifa
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Beautiful.
Buccaneers backpackers is a nice place to unwind. I'm a Canadian travelling through South Africa and I love this place. The people are so nice, when the swell is on the beach cooks, and there's talent to be found everywhere. I see that a couple nobs have written some horrible reviews about this place, that's cool. Without them to compare myself to, I might have come off as a real dink. Lucky me. Honestly, this is a backpackers where anyone and everyone is welcome, from families with babies to bird watchers. The last stretch of road is a dirt road so beware if you're driving your own car. If you've rented a citi Golf, you'll be fine. Otherwise give Bucc's some advance warning and they'll pick you up from East London. If you want Mr.Clean then maybe try a fancy hotel with all the trimmings. Remember, it's a backpackers and it's Africa. This place is home to a serious un-kak vibe that's hard to leave behind you.
Cheers

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank arlenfifa
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I booked Buccanneers because so many people raved about it and it seemed affordable for the two friends that my husband and I were traveling with. They got dorm accomdations and we had a cabin with a "kitchennette" that turned out to be a hot plate and a mini fridge. The room had an ant infestiation, along with geckos and many other bugs. One night I looked up to a thick black line of ants running across the rafters above the bed.

We stayed three nights yet our room was never once serviced, by the time we left our trash was overflowing. Not that the room was that clean when we arrived - the bathroom rug (the mat you stepped on directly from the shower) was filthy and the one in the "living room" was coated in leaves and dirt.

Staff was apathetic. It's always nice watching your "cook", who is shirtless and exposing way too much buttcrack, proudly prolcaim that he is living in a barn, and then proceed to cough all over his hand for 5 minutes, NOT wash it, and then continue cooking your food. Speaking of the food - it was mediocre. We had a pizza one day, a wrap the next, and joined the big group dinner our first night. None of it was very good. We ended up heading down the horrible dirt road that leads from Bucs to the town and just stocking up on food there.

Maybe I'm just not young enough, wasn't drunk or single enough or don't have enough of a hippie spirit to like this place. I guess when a place boasts about its "free wine" activities (aka volleyball and a few liters of the cheapest, warmest box wine you can buy) you should know what you are getting into. Maybe it's fine for backpackers and the young partying travelers, but not for me. For the equivalent of $60US per night I don't expect to spend my nights worried about being swarmed by ants in my sleep.

The only saving grace about the place was the beautiful beach. I would definately stay in Cintsa again, but I would not stay here.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank ktmae55
England
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We had heard rave reviews of this place and put it on our list when we backpacked South Africa which made it all the more disappointing when we arrived. The location is beautiful but that is about it. Our room was filthy, there was what we thought to be mice poo (apparently it was probably gecko) on our pillows, our cutlery had the same on it but it was old! A look under the fridge revealed much of the same. We tried to speak to the staff about the state of the room but they were rude and unhelpful. We were booked for three nights but left after one, it was easily the worst backpackers we stayed in on a five week trip.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosief18
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 December 2009

nice people, loads of space and a great beach! I stayed here twice and it was amazing..

Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Eastern Cape
Reviewed 16 November 2009

I was at Buccaneers about 10 years ago & what was a very cool spot is now just difficult. Difficult to do anything with these folks.
Used to be owner run but now its a bunch of surfer "dudes" that are more interested in the chicks than service. Service?
Its sporadic at best.
The dirt road in? Best you take a hire car, BazBus or walk cause the road is liable to kill your car in one swoop.
I was really looking forward to my stay but left after only 1 night. I wont be going back.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank PierrePP
Sitges, Spain
Reviewed 25 October 2009

My husband and I and 2 friends had a fantastic week. We stayed in both the ensuite room and later moved into a cottage. Clean and comfortable with daily cleaning if required. Plenty of options for eating, cook your own BBQ, nightly set meal - we had Mexican - which was excellent or across the lagoon to a fantastic seafood restaurant. Lots to do, local school concert, horseriding which was fantastic, great relaxing massage,surfing, walking the fantastic beach and more...... Pub onsite was great fun and great music. Great place to allow you do your own thing or get involved and meet lots of people. Hope to get back soon.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chintsa
Prana Lodge
Crawford's Beach Lodge
Crawford's Beach Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chintsa
Arendsnes Holiday and Conference Centre

Been to Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers? Share your experiences!