“The EXPEDITION Project visits Crawfords Beach Lodge”

Crawford's Beach Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chintsa
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Wow! The 'Wild Coast' is famous for its rugged beauty and Crawfords is the last stop before returning to built up southern stretch of the east coast of South Africa. If there is one wild coast stop you make then Crawfords is situated only 30 minutes from East London so i can be a quick break or full holiday. Or alternatively work your way down the east coast and make Crawfords your last stop - saving the best for last. Quiet beaches, excellent food, friendly service, comfy accommodation, its all there.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
CrawfordsBeach, Owner at Crawford's Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

To The Expidition Project,

Thank your for the wonderful review. We are thrilled that you chose Crawfords to stay a few nights.
We all wish you well on your further travels and hope you return to us in the near future.

Keep well,

There are newer reviews for Crawford's Beach Lodge

Reviewed 30 May 2013

My husband and I spent 7 nights of our recent honeymoon at Crawfords. What an amazing place - the location was superb, with our room looking over the Cintsa river mouth and across the ocean. We ate and ate and ate the most delicious food and met some amazing people. The owner of Crawfords and his wife are very hospitable and the staff felt like friends. After one day, it felt like home!
I would recommend Crawfords to couples, groups of friends or families looking for a relaxing holiday, where every need is catered for.
We hope to see you soon, Crawfords!

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing, front row room. The top level rooms have the best view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Charlotte,

I was thrilled to see your review, although I must say, we should be thanking you and Peter for being such great festive guests here on your honeymoon.
I think all the staff would love to see you guys here again in the (very) near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Crawfords Lodge is one of those places that is almost always on my mind when the bordem of my 9 - 5 takes over and my mind starts to wonder! Every year, I try my level best to include it into my travel itinerary, and have been dissapointed in the past by the fact that I generally wait too late, and the lodge ends up being full (which in itself speaks volumes about how popular the place is)! To say the property itself is "picturesque' would be an understatement, as it is so much more, and ultimately one of those places that reminds me that I live in a beautiful country, and am truly blessed to be South African! The service is good, the food superb and the accommadation itself, is tasteful, spacious and includes pretty much everything you need and more! I will be visiting again, as soon as I can!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I took my little family for a night away at Crawfords over the mothers day weekend. The accommodation was world class. Beautiful big sliding doors opening up onto a magnificent view of the ocean. The kids playground was a stones throw away so the little ones were having the time of their lives. The beach was clean and easily accessible. All the facilities in the resort were excellent. The food was delicious and we highly recommend going when they have the Seafood Extravaganza. During dinner the hosts graciously offered to a child minder to watch the kids in the play room while we had dinner. This afforded us the opportunity take our time and enjoy our company. We had a great experience and my only regret was we had to leave. It was total bliss and extreme relaxation. A great place to go if you have children and feel like a break from the rat race.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2013

My husband and I stay at Crawford's as often as we can as it encapsulates everything that a holiday should be - amazing location, breathtaking views, great accommodation, attentive staff and exceptional food. I love the addition of the Jacuzzi/pool near the restaurant - just fantastic to relax in after a day at the beach. A must if you enjoy unwinding in stunning surroundings.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed at Crawfords for two nights with three adults and two children. The staff were very helpful- providing us with great recommendations and even going so far as to bake a cake and sing for my sisters 50th birthday. Our rooms were very large- the first night we stayed in room 6 which was a huge house with excellent facilities just 1 minutes walk from the beach. The property is also very beautiful and the buffet was very good as well. Best of all- they do not charge for kids 12 and under- which made our stay very affordable. Loved the Lodge.

Room Tip: Go for the dolphin rooms- they are a bit more expensive- but well worth it as they have stunning v...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Abcast
CrawfordsBeach, Owner at Crawford's Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Abcast,
Thank you for your wonderful response. We look forward to seeing again someday soon.
Regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2013

We were disappointed with this resort. The location was lovely but from the time we booked in till the time we left this was the most unfriendly place we stayed in during a seven week stay in South Africa. The room was satisfactory but the lampshade by our bed was badly torn. The bathroom was very cramped and basic. It could definately do with modernising. We did not appreciate the owners five dogs having the run of the dining room and licking our legs whilst eating. The food was of a very average quality. Dog excreta could be seen in the gardens. Overall a disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Best view of ocean from a first floor room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Graham,
Thank you for the review.
We must apologise for the dogs, they should never have been in the dining room. My mother is a real animal lover and lets them get away with far too much. The staff here are usually very jovial and I'm disappointed your stay here was an unfriendly one - I am working with the staff very closely to make sure that none of us ever come across unfriendly again.
Hopefully we will see you here again someday so can make amends - although I'm sure that would take some doing, we hope it does happen.
Keep well,
Mark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chintsa
Prana Lodge
Morgan Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Morgan's Bay
Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers
Inkwenkwezi Private Game Reserve Safari Lodge

Been to Crawford's Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!