We have just returned froma two night stay andwould certainly go back - especially if the weather was good!
It has a wonderful location overlooking Downings Bay but unfortunately the exterior has no architectural merit and it looks more like an up-market prison. The lack of any trees adds to this feeling but perhaps trees will not flourish in this rather exposed northerly part of Ireland? The interior is much nicer. We had a spacious and quiet bedroom, there is a large elegant lounge and a quite grand impressive dining room which looks out over the bay and which gets the best of any sunsets.
One of the great strengths of this hotel are the immaculate, excellent and numerous staff whioc go about their duties efficiently and with a smile.
The dinner menu seems to change every day with just about the right numbert of options on each course. Four courses are priced at 45 euro but we found that two courses at 30 euro were more than adequate as the main course is huge. Incidentally melba toast seems to be a thing of the past in most restaurants but it is served here and was much appreciated.The cooking is just a little bit institutional and perhaps the staff are just a little too efficient and serve it rather quickly? The wine list is well chosen and fairly priced. Breakfast is ok without being in any way exceptional.
I wish the Rosapenna Hotel every success. The obviously try very hard in these very difficult times for Iriah hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Rosapenna Hotel & Golf Resort is one of Ireland's premier 4 star luxury hotels, and has been since 1893. It sits in an 800 acre estate on the edge of the Atlantic ocean, where the bays of Mulroy & Sheephaven meet on the coast of Donegal. The hotel boasts a health & wellbeing Centre, Tennis Courts, Billiards & Card Rooms, Putting Green, Driving Range as well as two 18 hole championship Golf Courses and state of the art Golf Academy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Rosapenna Hotel & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rosapenna Hotel And Golf Resort
- Rosapenna Hotel & Golf Downings
- Rosapenna Hotel Downings
- Rosapenna Hotel & Golf Resort Downings, County Donegal