“Fine - nothing special”
Review of Downings Bay Hotel

Downings Bay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Downings
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My friend and I recently stayed here for one night. The hotel itself is fine, our twin room was spacious with a large bathroom. We had food in the bar which was lovely, but in sharp contrast the breakfast was disgusting - I had the "full Irish" which on that particular day consisted of really poor quality meat and mushrooms that you could bounce off a wall. The waiting staff were pleasant but, again, unfortunately I can't say the same for the staff at reception... Upon arrival, our greeting wasn't particulary warm, and when we were leaving we were not even asked "was everything okay" or "did you enjoy your stay?". The greeting upon check out was "checking out? Card or cash?" I waited to see if, at this point, we would be asked how our stay was but it didn't happen. When I got my receipt for payment I asked "are you on TripAdvisor?". The reply was "yes we are, why is there a problem?" At this stage, I was going to give my feedback but I felt I would have received a defensive response so I felt it better to say nothing at that moment. Being a person from Donegal myself, I am always very proud of how friendly and pleasant people from Donegal are - needless to say I was disappointed with the initial and final greetings at the Downings Bay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bredabre01

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Hotel nice, clean and good location beside beach. However this was forgot about during our stay due to the noise we could hear in our bedroom from outside and inside (from 8pm to early hrs)from others due to very thin walls, doors slamming, disco downstairs - we could hear the music thumping until 3.00am!!! Breakfast was freshly made to order and was delicious but the staff let the eating experience down (apart from a staff with a Dublin accent) it appeared everything was a bother to them and when they were asked about the menu they did not offer any assistance to us in relation to catering for our children who have allergies. we looked forward to this our summer holiday with the kids but feel very let down and tired after a night of little sleep in room 210 which was promised to us would be quiet on booking :(

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Visited the restaurant at downings Bay Hotel in April with a group of girl friends. We went for the 60euro meal for 2 option. As a vegetarian I was at first surprised to find that the vegetarian option was non existant. That said a very helpful waitress helped to put together a plate of food which was made up of the veg and potato options that were served with the meat dishes. I ended up with a beautiful plate of food that was both tasty and substantial - excellent Ratouille and Dauphonise potatoes. Also excellent rhubarb crumble.

In addition the chef sent out a portion of mushroom sauce (without being asked) that was 100%vegetarian stating that all the other sauces used the juice from the meat. Very impressed. I have eaten out in restaurants for 30yrs and this has never happened before. Well done Downings Bay. Also all my meat eating friends were equally happy,

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1Marsha
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed here on a golfing trip and the hotel and staff were excellent we arrived late and they kept the kitchen open for us the food was very good and reasonable priced menu at €20 for 4 courses.
The staff were very helpful and very friendly. Th room was good size with small bathroom but all very clean.

Room Tip: Good bar are and lots of car parking
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Hi,

The Downings Bay was our choice for an informal Saturday tea on a rare, sun kissed evening in June.

Restaurant Review only as we did not stay there

Although very busy we were made welcome and attended by polite & helpful staff.

A good varied menu and no problem having a selection of starters as a main course to share, food arrived promptly and was of decent quality, well priced at approx 25euro for 2 persons with a soft drink each.

I would imagine the bar would be busy & ‘good crack’ during the summer / peak months, perhaps we should have stayed a while!

The decor could do with just TLC but is fine.

Overall a good venue for a meal with no major problems to report, probably a 3.7 out of 5 if the ratings allowed, still well worth a try.

The Downings has a wonderful golden sand beach to offer which is shallow and very popular with the residents of the nearby caravan sites (Beach approx 3 mins walk from Hotel).
Watersports equipment is available to rent just across the street and apart from that there is not much, just the views to enjoy. There is a harbour at the far end of the beach. Numerous holiday homes are also available within walking distance of the beach and beyond.

The Downings is located North of Letterkenny

Belfast : 112 miles (2.5 hrs drive)
Donegal Town : 22 miles
Sligo : 68 miles
Londonderry : 30 miles

Currency : Euro, with various cards accepted.

If this review has 'Informed' your decision please tick the 'Was this review Helpful' box.

Les

Room Tip: The Bar would be well worth a visit if in the area.
2  Thank Further_The_Better
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Had dinner at The Bay while on holiday in Downings, we booked the restaurant on the first night as it was a Saturday. When we arrived we were informed there was a wedding on, and when we entered the restaurant we found it so busy, there was a large group of golfers and a 50th anniversary party. I said to my partner that we would perhaps be lucky to get food on time or any service at all....Well I had to eat my words!! Wow!! The staff were amazing, they were so efficient, friendly and helpful! There was a great buzz about the place and the food was excellent!! They have an amazing wine list and they cater for Coeliac's too. I felt like standing up and giving these girls and ladies a round of applause they worked so hard and smiled and laughed throughout the evening....well done! A couple of nights later we dined in the Bar again just lovely food a great menu, the bar staff are just as efficient and helpful...Top marks the Bay hope you all have a great summer.....

2  Thank Avril P
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Great place for a wedding. The staff were very friendly and the food was great. The rooms are spacious and clean. Our friends room had a broken press and mirror but it was excusable for the great price and brilliant stay. I'd recommend it and will probably stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downings
Beach Hotel
Arnolds Hotel
Arnolds Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dunfanaghy
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny

Been to Downings Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!