“A mix of good and bad”

Louie's Cosy Corner
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Canadian, American, Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada
“A mix of good and bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We both had the special of the day, fish and chips (fries). The fish batter was hard/rubbery and even I didn't try it (who usually attempts almost anything). The fish inside was good with adequate portions. The volume of fries compensated.

However, the strawberry shortcake included as dessert was great - very fresh and tasty!

I did see the $8 milkshake but for obvious reasons did not try it.

• Visited April 2014
VanRy, Owner at Louie's Cosy Corner, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review. I'm sorry to hear the fish batter was over done but i'm glad you enjoyed the fish, fries, and dessert. I'm a little confused by the $8 milkshake comment as our milkshakes are only $4. If you were overcharged by mistake I sincerely apologize and I hope you will return so that we may have a chance to leave a better impression. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to serving you again.

Stratford
“Fresh Local Fair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I've been to this restaurant in the past (pre Louie) and it left much to be desired. Our most recent visit to Cape Breton was too late in the season for one of usual favorite stops in St. Peter's. We were left with few options so we decided to give the Cozy Corner another try. As a frequent visitor to CB I've devoured many meals and was very pleased to find the food on par or better with others in St. Peter's. The service was simply one of the best experiences ever, typical Cape Breton style, friendly, funny simply perfect. What a pleasant experience. Louie's is now one of our favorite places for an authentic "Cape Breton Experience".

• Visited October 2013
Corner Brook, Canada
“Great pan fried haddock”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I in town for business. The staff greeted me immediately. took my order and within a few minutes I had my meal. The food was delicious. The fish was fresh and plump. Cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth . An abundance of vegetables accompanied the fish. There was no room for dessert. I have eaten there a few times and will do so again. I would recommend you give Louies a try.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Wandae2
Toronto, PEI, Canada
“Homemade Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Louie is the heart and soul of the Cosy Corner and I'd never consider driving through St. Peters without stopping for some of his grub.

His seafood chowder and homemade soup of the day are always top notch. (My mom-in-law, who was born and bred just across the Causeway, had his chowder for the first time last week. She's a very good cook and a tough critic of chowder and left raving about it.)

And don't just rely on the menu: Louie's well known locally for unlisted specials. So ask.

On my previous visit, he'd just come into a batch of fresh smelts. Not on the menu. Mouthwatering.

I've seen Louie cook and quickly serve a succulent chicken dinner for 200 at the local Lion's Hall. I've had his rabbit pie and fresh eel. He may not be a chef with a white apron and fancy hat, but he's one hell of a cook.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank G B
Nova Scotia
“Will NOT be back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Worst service, worst food. Who charges $8 for a milkshake? Louie's Cosy Corner does - and it was nothing special. Go to the Bras d'Or Lakes Inn instead!

Visited June 2012