“Good choice”

Bras d'Or Lakes Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 St. Peter's B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We arrived in St Peter's without any idea where to stay. After a quick look round and seeing all three inns in town, we opted to see if the Bras D'Or had any rooms. Fortunately they did, we got a very warm welcome from the staff and a large room on the main room overlooking the lake. The room was very well equipped and looked to have only just had a new coffee pod machine installed - something we tested very quickly and good it was too.

The whole inn has the feel of a hunting lodge to it being all log construction so it felt nice and airy and open to us. The restaurant food was very good although perhaps a little on the pricey side. Breakfast though was very, very good value. If you buy it on arrival you get $3 off the price. It's a buffet affair and the chef prepares omelettes, crepes, eggs etc in front of you - a really good and entertaining feature.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NtheP
Brasdor, Guest Relations Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us in St. Peter’s. You are right, we just upgraded all our in-room coffee makers to the K-Cup® technology! This compliments the fridge and microwave to give you some independence during your stay. And I agree, the breakfast buffet is a great value. We also try to ensure the dining experience is memorable for both the service and fare. In the end I thank you for your comments and are pleased that you enjoyed your meals and the room amenities. I hope we will see you again.

There are newer reviews for Bras d'Or Lakes Inn

Reviewed 12 March 2014

After a long day of traveling with my 3 daughters we arrived at this Inn. We were welcomed so warmly by all the staff ( especially the ladies from Kitchener)even their chocolate lab was so friendly! We truly enjoyed the prime rib and the pecan pie was the best that I have ever had! My girls still talk about our night that we stayed there. I highly recommend you stay here if your traveling near St. Peter's . I look foreword to returning - whenever we get the chance to drive down a East again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SJ52014
Brasdor, Guest Relations Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time this spring to reminisce with us and your girls about your stay. Spring is around the corner beyond the snow banks and the staff and Bailey are looking forward to welcoming many guests like yourself back to enjoy the great food and accommodation and a sincere welcome. We will look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the island and thank you again for your kind comments.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My group and I rived at the Bras d'Or Lakes Inn by accident. We had been in the car all day as it had been raining. When we arrived we were greeted immediately, and the hotels amenities described. We had decided on the Bras d'Or Lakes Inn b/c it had a hot tub available. The hot tub had an amazing view of the lake and was very nice and clean. You do have to request it be opened for you. Which we requested after an AMAZING dinner in their restaurant. The beds were comfy, and the rooms very clean. I would recommend this property to anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ClassynCheap
Brasdor, Guest Relations Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Always glad to hear that our dinner offerings continue to amaze and that we are able to provide a comfortable respite whether from rain and/or a long day of travelling! And a special thanks to you for remembering us and taking the time to write this review now that you are hunkered down for the winter and perhaps reminiscing about that relaxing evening in the hot tub under the stars! Your recommendation is certainly appreciated. Perhaps we will see you here again.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I could not have been more pleased with the wonderful time we spent at the Inn. Both Jean-Pierre and Pierre were so helpful in every way-they really made us feel at home. Jean-Pierre is an excellent chef and all 3 nights we had dinner in their very pleasant dining room, accompanied by excellent food. An additional plus is the fact that St Peters is an interesting location with some wonderful walks and scenes, including the remarkable canal and locks.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dwag64

Thank you for Vermont visitors for taking the time to comment on your stay with us at the Inn. I am glad you found us helpful and Jean Pierre’s menu satisfying over your extended stay. We do believe St. Peter’s is a great place to stop over and visit as well as the surrounding area while making your way around Cape Breton and all it has to offer. I am happy you chose us as your base. Sincere regards. Pierre

Reviewed 21 October 2013

After a long day of driving the coast, I was looking forward to a nice relaxing evening at the hotel. I was greeted warmly by the owner and the other members of the staff. It felt like I walked into a small B&B than a hotel. The place was clean and well appointed. The place looked like a huge log cabin. It had this rustic look to it.

The room was spectacular. The fake logs that made up the walls was a nice touch as well as the hardwood furniture went far to lend an air of a rustic room in the middle of the woods. The beds were super comfortable. It was like sleeping on a cloud. This place was by far the best place I stayed at during my trip to Nova Scotia. I wish I could stay an extra day or 2 at the hotel, but I had other places to visit.

The hotel has a restaurant that is top notch. Something I was not expecting to see or experience in a small town like St. Peter's.

I highly recommend the place to anyone who is thinking about stopping for the evening. Reservations are recommended. From what I was told, they were pretty booked the previous weekend and the weekend after I left.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael C
Brasdor, Guest Relations Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for your comments Michael. I am glad you chose us for that night of rest and relaxation and were able to reenergize before continuing on your trip. We do endeavour to be a destination for good accommodation and great culinary experience for those local and visiting the island - and St. Peter's is a good waypoint for both.

And we do try to connect with our arriving guests as appropriate, so I appreciate that we sometimes have a B&B feeling in that respect. Glad you felt welcome.

Hope to see you again and be your base while you enjoy more of the islands points of interest and activities. Thanks again.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Inn is very cosy and quaint. Rooms and bathrooms are immacuately clean. Beds and linens very comfortable ensuring a good nights sleep. Breakfast buffet is wonderful and will keep you energized all day.

Room Tip: Rooms are very clean, and beds are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you Virginia. I am happy you were comfortable with state of cleanliness and comfort of the rooms. And I agree, the hot breakfast buffet makes a great start to the day - whether it included the crepes or omelet made to order - or maybe both!

Safe travels!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We spent the weekend in the Bras d'or Lakes Inn. I must say we were very pleased with condition of the premises and the food. St Peter's is a beautiful place in Nova Scotia where the canal allows boats to enter the Bras D'or Lakes from the Atlantic Ocean. The rooms were comfortable and very very clean. Washrooms well maintained and spotless clean with lots of hot water. Coffee maker and small fridge included in the room was nice. The Inn is on the lakes and is very scenic. The morning breakfast buffet is outstanding, but is my understanding the dinning room shuts down for the late fall winter months. It is nice to see the management hire 2nd and 3rd year students from the culinary school and all staff were well mannered and eager to serve the clients. Well done to the management and staff who are keeping this Inn well maintained, spotless clean with emphasis on serving their clients.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Brasdor, Public Relations Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

St. Peter’s is a beautiful place where the ocean meets the inland sea by way of the historic St. peter's canal. Jean Pierre and Rhoda are glad to have purchased the Inn some 10 years ago and managed it in such a manner that they can provide their clients, and instill in their staff, some of the best of values in accommodation, service and dining experiences to be found on the island.

And you are correct, the dining room is usually open from spring until mid-October, closing after Celtic Colours. Rooms are available year round however - with continental breakfast included when the dining room is closed.

Thank you very much for your commendation. And enjoy Cozumel – another nice island – and with great scuba diving.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Peter's
#1 of 3 in Port Hastings
The Groundswell
The Groundswell
#1 of 1 in D'Escousse

Been to Bras d'Or Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!