“Avoid the Restaurant”

Bras d'Or Lakes Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 St. Peter's B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We didn't actually stay in the Inn. It seems nice enough. The location is great. What we did "experience" was the restaurant. Their sign promised "Fine Dinning". It was anything but. The Head Chef must have had the day off. The Chowder is inedible. They are a little too proud of their home grown herbs. Way too much made it horribly bitter. They claimed it was made to order (pretty doubtful for a soup) so we asked for another bowl minus the herbs. The Chef refused saying that was how it was made. The rest of the food was edible but certainly not well made. Greasy and gross for the most part. Even the French Fries were soggy. We skipped on the desserts when we noticed Fish (dated a month before) sitting in the dessert freezer. Not in any way sanitary and a good sign just how fresh their ingredients are. This is not FIne Dining. Ketchup and vinegar in packets. You would do better at the McDonalds down the street. The worst part is we discovered at the end of our meal that the woman who had provided us such terrible service was the owner! Turns out she doesn't like having to wait tables.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank judyzzz

Reviewed 19 July 2009

In October 2008, my mom took her first trip since she immigrated to Canada over 30 years ago, mom felt like it was home away from home because we were encapsulated with warmth and kindness by Rhoda, the owner, and an outstanding and personable staff who we knew everyone by name. As well, mom had befriended their chocolate lab, unbeknownst to me, she is a dog lover.

We would begin our days with a vibrant Juanita at breakfast who always had a smile and chirping lyrics in the background. Every morning I had an eggs Benny that was prepared to the utmost perfection by Adam, the chef, which i struggle not to compare to it whenever I have one. I would also dabble into my travel companion's fishcakes which I cannot speak of without salivating.

As our bellies are filled, we explored the lands in Cape Breton, every day with a new adventure and we would return to our centralized base, Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, where we would be greeted by Moira to our table for dinner. We would have entrees of divinity as it was made for a food critic. We cannot go without mentioning the professional and stealth waiter, James, who would come by to change our utensils unknowingly which startled me every time so I suggested that he'd wear bells.

It was all our first times to Nova Scotia and it was a memorable one. Thank you Bras d'Or!!

Virginia, Nicholas and Kim

Toronto Canada

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Virnich
Reviewed 12 July 2009

During our visit to Nova Scotia we spent time in 3 locations, St Peters, Baddeck and Halifax. St. Peters because of the warm, relaxing environment was by far our favorite. The owners Rhoda & Jean-Pierre fully understand the art of hospitality. The rooms were comfortable and quiet with views of Bras d'Or Lake.

Highlight - the restaurant - Jean-Pierre is a world class Chef and has trained his staff to prepare meals fit for any major metropolitan city. The grilled lobster and le gateau st. honore were unbelievable.

Higher Light - The people... The men and women at the Inn are kind, warm and provide exceptional service.

The owners were kind enough to take us out for a private sail boat ride.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cm3ward
Reviewed 25 November 2008

We have learned that we are not bed-and-breakfast people. After 5 years of vacationing in Cape Breton, we've finally found a place to call home away from home. The Bras d'Or Lakes Inn is perfect! The inn enjoys a very central location on the island, surprisingly close to everything. St. Peters is a full-service, year-round town. Our room was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was spotless. The owners are pleasant and have a nice dog. If you're going to visit Cape Breton, this is truly the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank fdeebble
Reviewed 9 September 2008

We stayed here while having one night in St. Peter's to visit family. I found it to be very overpriced for the area. When booking by phone we were quoted a certain price; however, at the time of checking in, we were told a higher price. We insisted that we were quoted the first price at booking. Rooms are very old and dingy. The only thing I liked was the comfortable bed. Very dreary place. Could be much better if improved. I hear the restaurant is supposed to be very good but we did not eat there so I can't comment on it. I will look elsewhere if staying in St. Peter's again. Overpriced for what you get for sure. Don't bother.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2008

This hotel is far from deserving a four star rating. Our room was in the basement, facing a hill and a ditch, not waterfront as we were lead to believe. The room was damp, dark and dreary. We had to kill 3 black beetle-like bugs within the first 5 minutes of entering the room. The paint job was horrible, only one thin coat, you could see the old colour underneath. The colour scheme didn't do anything to help the dinginess of the room, the bathroom was army green. It was nothing like the photos on their website. There were only 2 towels in the bathroom although we had made a reservation for four. When I called for towels at 8:40 am, the phone rang about 20 times before a groggy voice answered. A lady wearing pj's and a housecoat arrived at my door with the towels. (the front desk is supposed to be open at 7:30)
We were told the room would accomodate four of us, but it was extremely small. (2 adults and 2 kids) We were charged an extra $30.00 for our kids, which I was not informed of on the phone when I booked the room. We had 2 nights booked and left after one. We had arrived at 11:30 pm, after a long drive. We would have left that night if we hadn't been so exhausted. The only positive was that they let us leave early without additional cost. At $160.00 for the night, I would have busted a gasket had they tried to charge us anything else! I had researched this place on tripadvisor before booking and I can't believe what a different experience we had compared to the other reviewers. It didn't seem like the same inn I had read about, or was described on the phone when I made the reservation. A very big disappointment. We travel alot, and I contribute positive reviews to tripadvisor more often than not. In fact, this is my first thoroughly negative review I've ever had to write, thanks to guidance from this website. It's usually bang on, but unfortunately that was not the case this time.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Genuine Cape Breton down-home hospitality, the softest beds anywhere, and the finest food made our stay so pleasant and far too short.

A short and pleasant drive to Big Pond for Rita's concert.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
The Birches at Ben Eoin Country Inn
Bear on the Lake Guesthouse
Bear on the Lake Guesthouse
#2 of 3 in Whycocomagh

Been to Bras d'Or Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!