“Simply Outstanding”

Ranked #1 of 2 St. Peter's B&B and Inns
Kitchener, Ontario
“Simply Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed one night on our way to Sydney. We took the package that included breakfast and the ceilidh. The rooms are lodge style with all the pine accessorizing. Comfortable and clean but also very Cape Breton.
But the real experience is in the dining room. French chef Jean Pierre has an incredible menu. The seafood chowder is truly to die for. My wife had lobster and I the scallops. Both were fantastic. The signature dessert was all gone so we had the adorable carrot cake but we were running late for the Ceilidh downstairs. So staff set up a table downstairs for us complete with linens and brought the carrot cake there.
Breakfast was spectacular and included in the package price. I am a Eggs Benedict lover and Jean Pierres were the best ever. My wife had the lobster omelet which she raved about. We loved it so much we stopped in for lunch a few days later on our way back to Halifax from Sydney. We were a bit early for lunch but they made me up the JP burger I was told so much about. It didn't disappoint. Since breakfast was still available my wife had to have the lobster omelet again. This time we did get a piece of the signature dessert and it was heavenly.
The staff in the DR and front desk were extremely pleasant and engaging. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank TandAM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Brantford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

We didn't actually stay in the Inn. It seems nice enough. The location is great. What we did "experience" was the restaurant. Their sign promised "Fine Dinning". It was anything but. The Head Chef must have had the day off. The Chowder is inedible. They are a little too proud of their home grown herbs. Way too much made it horribly bitter. They claimed it was made to order (pretty doubtful for a soup) so we asked for another bowl minus the herbs. The Chef refused saying that was how it was made. The rest of the food was edible but certainly not well made. Greasy and gross for the most part. Even the French Fries were soggy. We skipped on the desserts when we noticed Fish (dated a month before) sitting in the dessert freezer. Not in any way sanitary and a good sign just how fresh their ingredients are. This is not FIne Dining. Ketchup and vinegar in packets. You would do better at the McDonalds down the street. The worst part is we discovered at the end of our meal that the woman who had provided us such terrible service was the owner! Turns out she doesn't like having to wait tables.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank judyzzz
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

In October 2008, my mom took her first trip since she immigrated to Canada over 30 years ago, mom felt like it was home away from home because we were encapsulated with warmth and kindness by Rhoda, the owner, and an outstanding and personable staff who we knew everyone by name. As well, mom had befriended their chocolate lab, unbeknownst to me, she is a dog lover.

We would begin our days with a vibrant Juanita at breakfast who always had a smile and chirping lyrics in the background. Every morning I had an eggs Benny that was prepared to the utmost perfection by Adam, the chef, which i struggle not to compare to it whenever I have one. I would also dabble into my travel companion's fishcakes which I cannot speak of without salivating.

As our bellies are filled, we explored the lands in Cape Breton, every day with a new adventure and we would return to our centralized base, Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, where we would be greeted by Moira to our table for dinner. We would have entrees of divinity as it was made for a food critic. We cannot go without mentioning the professional and stealth waiter, James, who would come by to change our utensils unknowingly which startled me every time so I suggested that he'd wear bells.

It was all our first times to Nova Scotia and it was a memorable one. Thank you Bras d'Or!!

Virginia, Nicholas and Kim

Toronto Canada

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Virnich
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

During our visit to Nova Scotia we spent time in 3 locations, St Peters, Baddeck and Halifax. St. Peters because of the warm, relaxing environment was by far our favorite. The owners Rhoda & Jean-Pierre fully understand the art of hospitality. The rooms were comfortable and quiet with views of Bras d'Or Lake.

Highlight - the restaurant - Jean-Pierre is a world class Chef and has trained his staff to prepare meals fit for any major metropolitan city. The grilled lobster and le gateau st. honore were unbelievable.

Higher Light - The people... The men and women at the Inn are kind, warm and provide exceptional service.

The owners were kind enough to take us out for a private sail boat ride.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cm3ward
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2008

We have learned that we are not bed-and-breakfast people. After 5 years of vacationing in Cape Breton, we've finally found a place to call home away from home. The Bras d'Or Lakes Inn is perfect! The inn enjoys a very central location on the island, surprisingly close to everything. St. Peters is a full-service, year-round town. Our room was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was spotless. The owners are pleasant and have a nice dog. If you're going to visit Cape Breton, this is truly the place to stay.

• Liked — cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed November 2008
1 Thank fdeebble
Halifax
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

We stayed here while having one night in St. Peter's to visit family. I found it to be very overpriced for the area. When booking by phone we were quoted a certain price; however, at the time of checking in, we were told a higher price. We insisted that we were quoted the first price at booking. Rooms are very old and dingy. The only thing I liked was the comfortable bed. Very dreary place. Could be much better if improved. I hear the restaurant is supposed to be very good but we did not eat there so I can't comment on it. I will look elsewhere if staying in St. Peter's again. Overpriced for what you get for sure. Don't bother.

• Liked — The comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Too expensive for what you get and not very accommodating at main desk.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

This hotel is far from deserving a four star rating. Our room was in the basement, facing a hill and a ditch, not waterfront as we were lead to believe. The room was damp, dark and dreary. We had to kill 3 black beetle-like bugs within the first 5 minutes of entering the room. The paint job was horrible, only one thin coat, you could see the old colour underneath. The colour scheme didn't do anything to help the dinginess of the room, the bathroom was army green. It was nothing like the photos on their website. There were only 2 towels in the bathroom although we had made a reservation for four. When I called for towels at 8:40 am, the phone rang about 20 times before a groggy voice answered. A lady wearing pj's and a housecoat arrived at my door with the towels. (the front desk is supposed to be open at 7:30)
We were told the room would accomodate four of us, but it was extremely small. (2 adults and 2 kids) We were charged an extra $30.00 for our kids, which I was not informed of on the phone when I booked the room. We had 2 nights booked and left after one. We had arrived at 11:30 pm, after a long drive. We would have left that night if we hadn't been so exhausted. The only positive was that they let us leave early without additional cost. At $160.00 for the night, I would have busted a gasket had they tried to charge us anything else! I had researched this place on tripadvisor before booking and I can't believe what a different experience we had compared to the other reviewers. It didn't seem like the same inn I had read about, or was described on the phone when I made the reservation. A very big disappointment. We travel alot, and I contribute positive reviews to tripadvisor more often than not. In fact, this is my first thoroughly negative review I've ever had to write, thanks to guidance from this website. It's usually bang on, but unfortunately that was not the case this time.

• Liked — The restaurant staff were very nice.
  • Disliked — Over-rated and overpriced for what you get. Misleading advertising.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Peter's
Hampton Inn by Hilton Sydney
Telegraph House Hotel
Telegraph House Hotel
#4 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Bras d'Or Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!