“Convenient, comfortable, great food.”
Review of Au Petit Verger

Au Petit Verger
Ranked #1 of 7 Puivert B&B and Inns
Portland, OR
“Convenient, comfortable, great food.”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

In comparison with other B&B experiences (and the handful of hotels I stayed in while hiking part of the Sentier du Cathar) this was a unique and ultimately satisfying experience. The room I had was spacious (it appears designed for four people) with a clean and pleasant bathroom and a window looking out toward the hills down the valley. The bed was quite comfortable. The proprietors, Martyn and Ann Pickering, are a pleasant young couple, English ex-pats like over half the hosts I stayed with, with three delightful (and very energetic) young children. In contrast to several of the other places I stayed on the trip, I was seated for dinner and breakfast alone at a table in a separate room; the children proudly took turns delivering each course of the meal - which I found quite charming. I was warmly welcomed into the living area to watch a football (soccer) match with Martyn, which was quite enjoyable. I am gluten-intolerant, and Martyn thoughtfully prepared a very tasty dinner without any wheat - and a totally satisfying omelette for breakfast. As often happens (I think I'm lucky in my choice of accommodations) I left feeling that these are people I would enjoy getting to know better. For the price, this B&B delivers excellent quality - and its location, right at the entrance of town, is very convenient.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David R
Martyn P, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
David thank you and sorry I have not replied before. The bit I like best is the 'young couple'. I guess it must be the lifestyle here that keeps me looking that way even if I can't really claim to be any longer!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Skanderborg, Denmark
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

Excellent location at the end of the Sentier Cathare stage from Quillan. Veryy friendly host, Martyn, who cooks excellent food.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank janhj
Martyn P, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, 25 November 2012
'Excellent location', 'excellent food', 'very friendly host' but only an average rating?
Scotland
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed here for one night during a walk from Comus to Quillan. I've stayed in some super-luxury B&Bs in the UK in recent years and this wasn't of the same type at all! It's an old-fashioned, muck-in-with-rest-of-us, family-run and family-style B&B. It met with my complete approval, especially the unexpected (but, to be honest, half-hoped-for) pleasure of a real English cup of tea when I arrived at the end of my 20-mile hike from Comus.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TheProfessor34
Vergerblue, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Hello The Professor34.

I think you visited whilst I was away so I'm pleased it seems the rest of the family looked after you really well. Many thanks for your kind comments and yes that it exactly what we set out to be. 'Home from Home'.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed with Martin and his family for a week, a week of bike riding.

The hospitality was excellent, the rooms very clean and well appointed, we ate Breakfast and evening meals with Martin and the food was of resturaunt quality (and big in quantity), and he catered very well for my veggie Girlfriend.

Martin is a very friendly laid back Guy we had a very relaxing week, we were offered excellent advice about bike riding routes and were even supplied with some local riders to ride with.

Will deffo be visiting again

Room Tip: They are all fab, we chose the room with the view of Puivert!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pompey_Paul
Vergerblue, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you Paul and Wendy, we enjoyed having you here as well. Paul you are easily the strongest, fittest cyclist we have ever entertained. Good luck with your race season. You are clearly well prepared!!
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We have spent many short breaks at Au Petit Verger. We have always been made very welcome by the family and looked after in terms of hotel facilities, meals, guidance on walks and places to visit.

The hosts are bilingual in French and English and are happy to help with language and local burocracy should they be required.

The house is a beautiful old grand village house with original features and modern facilities. It is set in large gardens with an adjoining wood. The rooms are tastefully decorated in pastel colours in a French country style.

The village of Puivert is small and quiet but with a well stocked local shop and boulangerie. The lake is very pleasant for swimming and picnicking around. It is very safe for children.

There are many walks in the coutryside and nearby mountains. The scenery has to be seen to be appreciated. It is varied and very pretty.

We have stayed at all times of the year in hot sunshine and snow blizzards, during which the countryside takes on a magical quality. There are always things to do in any weather.

We will continue to visit in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2010

This is a family run chambre d'hote in a small rural village about 1 hour from Carcassone. Our room was clean and comfortable with en suite and large shower with views over the valley. Martin and Ann are great hosts providing excellent food (warm aniseed bread or croissants at breakfast are amazing) and are able to provide advice re local walks or cycling - they even arranged a birthday party for my husband and we had a fantastic time. We had dinner on a number of nights which was French country style, using local ingredients - often from the owners garden. Very good value.
There is a local buvette by the lake which serves salads, pizza etc, a small bar and unusually, an Afghan resturant a short distance away.
Overall, this is a quiet friendly place where you will be made very welcome.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
herefordshire
Reviewed 13 March 2010

Au petit verger is a very comfortable place to stop to unwind and refresh . The hosts Martyn and Ann are very friendly and helpful and so are the children . Between them all they are bilingual !
The house has a real french feel to it so it is really relaxing and one can appreciate the french charm without worryign about speakign the difficult language , but if you want to practise ,you can talk with te children in French , all good fun !!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank francoisethenook
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puivert
Hotel de France
#5 of 7 in Puivert
Occitania
Occitania
#6 of 7 in Puivert

Been to Au Petit Verger? Share your experiences!