“Great location, quality food, and friendly service”
Review of Restaurant Baren

Restaurant Baren
Ranked #5 of 24 Restaurants in Unterseen
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were in Interlaken to visit the St.Beatus caves, and decided to grab lunch afterwards. We were quite surprised to find that most restaurants opened after 4 PM. So we stolled about for a while, despite our hunger, had a drink to pass the time, and finally decided to try this restaurant, as it is not far from the train station, and had good ratings on this site. We were not disappointed.

Being there exactly at 4:30, when they opened, we were naturally the first customers. While the location is good in terms of distance from the train station, were felt the constant traffic in front was a bit noisy and unpleasant, and opted for a table inside. The inside is very typical Swiss decorations, which was nice. We were immediately greeted and sat. The waitress, who was pleasant, and later spoke perfect English with us, brought us menus and took our drink orders.
The menu is quite varied and offers soups and salads, various meat and fish dishes, and some typical and traditional dishes of the area. It is such a dish that originally caught my attention and helped me decide to choose this restaurant. I was after the Suure Mocke, a braised beef dish. I looked over the menu, just in case, but eventually decided on that dish. We started with a mixed salad. My wife and daughter chose the wienerschnitzel, which was served with fries, and was excellent, and my son chose a Roesti (like hash brown) dish, served with bacon, egg, and cheese, which was also very tasty. My dish was also very good, although I was a bit surprised by the way it was served. I was somehow expecting a stew type cut of meat, but instead, the meat was cut in thin slices and covered with sauce. The taste and overall quality was very good, but I would have preferred a stew size meat cut.

Overall, a very pleasant experience. Price wise, this place is in par with any other Swiss restaurant, which means it is on the pricey side. But, this is Switzerland. We were happy with our meal, our service, and the overall experience. I would certainly return if in Interlaken for a visit. Enjoy!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The first thing that hits you when you come into this restaurant is the smell of fondue cheese, then lots of wood everywhere, on the floor, ceiling, walls, seats, everything - very Swiss. I believe the building dates from the 1600s, it's very atmospheric.

The food is traditional Swiss and is really delicious. Pricing isn't too bad either, not the cheapest, no where near the most expensive. I had a lovely pork escalope with a mushroom sauce and noodles - excellent. Try the beef, it looked lovely. Also I'd say about 50% of the people in the restaurant seemed to be Swiss, which is a great sign of quality food.

Definitely worth a visit if you are in Interlaken - it's about a 20 minute walk from the Victoria Jungfrau / Metropole (not hilly).

2  Thank Felix G
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The 2nd night that we ate there our server was rude. Made us feel like they didn't like having repeat customers.

1  Thank illinisue73
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I were staying at the Sunny Days B&B nearby and ate dinner here 2 of the 3 nights we were here. The service is very good and the traditional Swiss food is outstanding. Try to arrive early as the tables fill up every evening with both tourists and locals.

1  Thank AhabofLA
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We liked the ambience inside, and the service and food was very good. We ate early evening and the place filled up while we were there, but service was always good.