“Great view, good food”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We went for Sunday brunch in the end of June.
We had reservations through our resort (Chalets sur le Fjord) and were sited in front of the window with beautiful view of the fjord and marina. Absolutely beautiful!

Brunch was buffet style. There are regular breakfast buffet spread: scrambled eggs, bacon, breakfast links, fruits, mini croissants, French fries, French toast, juices, cheese, ham. Unusual local thing was a dish that kind of pot pie/meat pie (without crust, baked in paper) of potato & ground meat. We are not sure what kind of meat it was, it tasted as a game meat (deer?) and it was very tasty. The waitress who poured our coffee didn't make any attempts to explain anything. We know only a few sentences in French, we explained that we don't speak French and speak English; she lost interest in us right away, just pointed finger in direction of the buffet.

To summarize: The view was great, food was good, brunch buffet selection is kind of limited, and service was almost non-existent. The price was a bit too high for what we got. I would give 3 and half starts rating (rounding to 4 for the view).

1  Thank RItraveler512

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Excellent food in a restaurant with water views. Some menu items were prix fix. Only drawback was we had to drive rather than walk from our B&B.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

After a memorable cruise on the fjord saguenay where we started in sunlight, went through a 30 knot squall, finished in part sun, and were nearly overwhlemed by the majesty of the scenery, my wife an I were ready for lunch! A short walk from the ferry dock and up a. Steps was the islet restaurant. Wonderful ambiance, we were quickly seated and met by a wonderful waitress who brought me a Belle Guile draft (Quebec red lager) that I was superb!
After a few minutes we were served a delightful and hot vegetable barly barley soup that really hot the spot along with warm bread. For lunch my wife had the smoked salmon salad that was refreshing, fresh and bountiful. I had the fried the fish which was excellent, crispy on the outside and flakey int he middle. I also came with pomme frites and salad.
Topped of the meal with coffee, tea for my wie and blueberry pie although the sugar pie was pretty tempting as well.
We finished refreshed and reenergized for the rest of the day on the fjord.
The total was 50.00 which was quite reasonable for the experience. Would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

1  Thank MJonesPE
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The only thing I can say negative about the beautiful ville of L'Anse St-Jean is the service in this restaurant. The waitress was so rude, we could not comprehend her attitude, was it because of the language barrier? who can say? She did not understand or able to explain our order in English and we could see she was getting frustrated with us. We are 3 ladies in our 70's and all very flexible in our ways, so we tried our best with our knowledge of the French language but she was getting more & more uptight. She spilled my coffee when I asked for the second cup. Finally she called for another lady who was at reception to help us, who was wonderful !! This has got to be reviewed, after all said & done we got our breakfast , full plate of waffles, fruit, fries, toast , the works. I am sorry to report this, but we should not be treated as so , we just want to be normal tourists travelling in your beautiful province.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I want to state that for a two week trip this is the only negative review that I will be writing but there is no other way to describe our experience. In the 2 weeks we visited Quebec this was the most expensive meal we had, I certainly don't mind paying for good food and service, but we received neither. This was also the rudest we were treated. While I realize that we were the outsiders and did not speak French this was the only place they did not try to help bridge the language issue - absolutely refused to help with the menu. When we first asked if someone could assist in English the server left and we assume someone else would come back When she returned she just stood there and glared at us. We ordered a carafe of wine - at other tables the servers would stop by and refill glasses - never at our table. My husband had to hold up his water glass for refill and she still ignored him. Finally he waved it and she reluctantly approached the table and we still had to ask for the refill. The food was fair - my little lobsters were good but my husband steak was overcooked and tough. When I tipped the server she seemed very surprised since she knew she had provided poor service. Maybe that will encouraged her to provide better service to the next non French customer but my advice would be to not waste your money.